News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Spags

Started by MightyGiants, February 12, 2024, 10:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDToomer

Quote from: killarich on February 13, 2024, 01:11:26 PMPeople in here crucified Spags for his stint with the Saints and that his defense was figured out by the league

Even if true what is also true is that he has evolved with the league

He should NOT have been fired both times with the Giants

I like Daboll..but if for some reason he got fired ... I would not mind givng Spags a chance as long as he calls the defensive plays

Is that even a thing ? I know coaches do it offensively... could we do it defensively ?

I only recalled him being let go after his 4 game stint as interim head coach in 2017. He left on his own the first time to be head coach of the Rams.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

killarich

Quote from: TDToomer on February 13, 2024, 04:18:44 PMI only recalled him being let go after his 4 game stint as interim head coach in 2017. He left on his own the first time to be head coach of the Rams.

you're right idk why I said twice... maybe I was thinking of the saints run

uconnjack8

Spags best attribute IMO is that he doesn't try to run the same system regardless of personnel. 

He changes to fit the personnel. 

killarich

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 13, 2024, 06:22:40 PMSpags best attribute IMO is that he doesn't try to run the same system regardless of personnel. 

He changes to fit the personnel. 

hes a defensive genius.... will go down as one of the best coordinators of all time

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: T200 on February 13, 2024, 02:35:04 PMI've always been a firm believer that people have ceilings. Just because they're excellent at one level doesn't guarantee similar success at a higher level.

Not all great coordinators can/will be great HCs.

LOL Where does that leave the red faced explosive Daboll??
Im not sure Id even hire him a co-ordinator?

His Peter Principle might be ticket booth or beer dispenser

He has to go....bring in Pete Caroll for goodness sakes
What was the game where he went for 2 and could have easily tied the game?
Im like WHAT the heck?
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

kartanoman

Quote from: President Rick on February 12, 2024, 07:07:28 PMi remember talking with Spags at camp in albany, way back then.  Such a nice guy, open, friendly...not to mention a great coach.  When he was our DC I posted that the Giants needed to sign him to a long-term contract, but sadly he left for the HC job that didn't work out.  Glad he has found success and a home in KC.

It's important to remember he originally had ties to Andy Reid in Philadelphia so the fact that the both of them hoisted the Lombardi together in KC was no coincidence.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

Maybe he just has damn good talent on the defensive side of the ball or a coaching staff that does a better than average job of developing the talent on the team.

When something works, there's often a desire to place credit to one thing as the reason.  I am not saying Spags is not a good or great DC but lots of things make a good defense.  How about low injuries to a starting unit in a season as a reason for success?   

T200

Quote from: BluesCruz on February 14, 2024, 08:40:28 PMLOL Where does that leave the red faced explosive Daboll??
Im not sure Id even hire him a co-ordinator?

His Peter Principle might be ticket booth or beer dispenser

He has to go....bring in Pete Caroll for goodness sakes
What was the game where he went for 2 and could have easily tied the game?
Im like WHAT the heck?
Daboll may very well fall into that category of "better as coordinator than head coach" but I'm still willing to give him more time.

You want the same Pete Carroll that eschewed giving the ball to Beast Mode that cost them back-to-back Lombardis? I will forever dislike him for making the absolutely worst call in Super Bowl history.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

TONKA56

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on February 13, 2024, 03:17:34 PMI'm old enough to remember Lombardi endorsing his longtime assistant Phil Bengston as his replacement. After 3 years and a 20-21-1 record he was fired. Served as interim HC in NE and went 1-4

Pretty sure Parcells recommended Ray The Nameless.