News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A Trip Down Big Blue Memory Lane

Started by MightyGiants, February 14, 2024, 11:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_so_blu

One of my favorite games the Giants ever played came in 1996 against the still dominant Dallas Cowboys. It was Week 13 and the Giants were coming home after an embarrassing loss to Boomer Esiason's Cardinals. Hungry for some redemption, they soon gave the crowd in Giants Stadium plenty to celebrate.

Our defense smothered the playoff-bound Cowboys, holding them to six points. The usual suspects--Strahan, Armstead, and Sehorn--were all involved. But largely unheralded Giants Chad Bratzke, Philippi Sparks, and Tito Wooten were also key contributors in holding Emmitt Smith to one of his worst career games: 18 yards rushing on 11 carries.

On offense, Dave Brown (yet another failed QB prospect from Duke) made what few throws were necessary while Tyrone Wheatley, Rodney Hampton, and Charles Way controlled the game on the ground. The resulting 20-6 victory wasn't pretty, but it foreshadowed better things to come as we would make the playoffs in '97 with a new coach and most of the same players.

kartanoman

Quote from: y_so_blu on July 14, 2024, 04:03:47 PMOne of my favorite games the Giants ever played came in 1996 against the still dominant Dallas Cowboys. It was Week 13 and the Giants were coming home after an embarrassing loss to Boomer Esiason's Cardinals. Hungry for some redemption, they soon gave the crowd in Giants Stadium plenty to celebrate.

Our defense smothered the playoff-bound Cowboys, holding them to six points. The usual suspects--Strahan, Armstead, and Sehorn--were all involved. But largely unheralded Giants Chad Bratzke, Philippi Sparks, and Tito Wooten were also key contributors in holding Emmitt Smith to one of his worst career games: 18 yards rushing on 11 carries.

On offense, Dave Brown (yet another failed QB prospect from Duke) made what few throws were necessary while Tyrone Wheatley, Rodney Hampton, and Charles Way controlled the game on the ground. The resulting 20-6 victory wasn't pretty, but it foreshadowed better things to come as we would make the playoffs in '97 with a new coach and most of the same players.

Nice summary of one of the highlights of an otherwise erratic 1996 season. This game was also important in that the 1986 Super Bowl Champs were ushered in at halftime to celebrate the then-10th anniversary of that glorious season.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on July 20, 2024, 07:58:28 PMOne of my favorite Giants, Charles Way. I still wear his jersey regularly.

I wasn't a high-profile guy, but he certainly was an important piece of the Giants' success
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Tony Galbreath always amazed me with his uncanny ability on those 3rd draws to make the 1st guy miss

It usually resulted in Tony not only getting the 1st down but adding another 10 Yds to that.....best 3rd down back we ever had

At some point you would think opponents would catch on to Tony's 3rd down antics but they really never did
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

LennG

Quote from: BluesCruz on July 21, 2024, 08:43:50 AMTony Galbreath always amazed me with his uncanny ability on those 3rd draws to make the 1st guy miss

It usually resulted in Tony not only getting the 1st down but adding another 10 Yds to that.....best 3rd down back we ever had

At some point you would think opponents would catch on to Tony's 3rd down antics but they really never did
[/quote

Let's not forget Dave Meggett as the best 3rd down back we ever had.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

BluesCruz

Quote from: LennG on July 21, 2024, 12:40:56 PM
Quote from: BluesCruz on July 21, 2024, 08:43:50 AMTony Galbreath always amazed me with his uncanny ability on those 3rd draws to make the 1st guy miss

[/quote

Let's not forget Dave Meggett as the best 3rd down back we ever had.

Meggett was great, Joe Morris two but I never could figure out how Galbreath seemed to be running into a void  Once he made someone miss it seemed he had nothing but grass in front of him

especially since Parcells really only brought Tony in to run that play

What about Reasons too on the fake punts?  What happened to that play?  Daboll should get out some old 1985-86 tape and look and learn
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 19, 2024, 01:06:02 PM

As grass roots as it gets.

I love Kieran's write-up of the first game as he tries to steer the audience with a New York bias; however, the sport being so new, it is more of a reunion of college stars coming together, in regional groups, or teams, to play. It has spectacle, fanfare, entertainment and the rules of the game have matured past their pre-Walter Camp dark ages.

It is 1925. The fledgling Football Giants team isn't bad, but progress in gaining the fanbase necessary to make it in the early NFL is at best tenuous.

During that Yellow Jackets - Giants game, what was Tim Mara thinking about his $500 investment? What did his youngest boy, Wellington think after the first game?

When you consider that Wellington witnessed 81 years of Giants' history dating back to this very game, and now John carries that legacy to the Centennial this year, if one truly considers this is the Mara family business for 100 years, for better or worse. We have witnessed the worse, we know; however, we have also witnessed the best of times as well. For a family business in this age, in this league, that is nearly unprecedented.

Just some thoughts looking back 100 years to where it all started.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)