News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I am growing weary of all the "NYG must re-sign" Barkley talk/articles

Started by MightyGiants, February 22, 2024, 09:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Let us be realistic.   

Barkley's PFF rushing grade is 59th overall.

His PFF overall offense grade is 53rd overall.

Barkley was 16th in overall rushing yardage.

Barkley was 31st in yards per attempt.

Barkley was 21st in receiving yardage.

Barkley is 27 with an extensive injury history.

Why on earth is Barkley even a topic?   Admittedly, NYG has neglected the RB position because they had Barkley, but that isn't that hard to remedy.

Sign him (if it makes sense financially), or don't.  Either way, I don't think it will impact the Giants' fortunes a significant amount.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

It all depends if you think you can grab a cheap but instantly productive RB in the draft.

Many seem to think it's a forgone conclusion (not that I think you're saying this), but it's not. I posted a list of last summer of all the RBs in the the Giants have drafted since Bradshaw. None have been remotely productive.

I have no interest in Barkley at last years off ££, I might have more inclination at 6-8mil per but I think he'll get the bigger offer elsewhere.

But he's the focus of the offense over the last two years. Whomever is the QB, will suffer without him - in my opinion.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on February 22, 2024, 09:40:39 AMIt all depends if you think you can grab a cheap but instantly productive RB in the draft.

Many seem to think it's a forgone conclusion (not that I think you're saying this), but it's not. I posted a list of last summer of all the RBs in the the Giants have drafted since Bradshaw. None have been remotely productive.

I have no interest in Barkley at last years off ££, I might have more inclination at 6-8mil per but I think he'll get the bigger offer elsewhere.

But he's the focus of the offense over the last two years. Whomever is the QB, will suffer without him - in my opinion.

I would advocate signing a veteran RB who is cheaper than Barkley and drafting a potential starter.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 22, 2024, 09:51:14 AMI would advocate signing a veteran RB who is cheaper than Barkley and drafting a potential starter.

I don't disagree. The wider point was that it's not easy to do. If you're left with a Jonathan Stewart/Andre Williams tandem - 3200 QB yards ain't cutting it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on February 22, 2024, 09:58:21 AMI don't disagree. The wider point was that it's not easy to do. If you're left with a Jonathan Stewart/Andre Williams tandem - 3200 QB yards ain't cutting it.

We haven't had an NFL caliber O-line since the Giant's O-line came on strong in the 2011 playoffs.  I would suggest that is part of the reason that the Giants struggle to find productive RBs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 22, 2024, 10:14:02 AMWe haven't had an NFL caliber O-line since the Giant's O-line came on strong in the 2011 playoffs.  I would suggest that is part of the reason that the Giants struggle to find productive RBs

Or coaching.

It's one or the other. I want one more run, with hopefully, competent coaching before we spend another top ten pick on the line

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on February 22, 2024, 10:22:28 AMOr coaching.

It's one or the other. I want one more run, with hopefully, competent coaching before we spend another top ten pick on the line

I am not advocating spending more top 10 picks on the line as that seems like the often repeated definition of insanity
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 22, 2024, 10:25:39 AMI am not advocating spending more top 10 picks on the line as that seems like the often repeated definition of insanity

Oh I didn't mean to imply you were. I 100% agree.

BluesCruz

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on February 22, 2024, 09:40:39 AMIt all depends if you think you can grab a cheap but instantly productive RB in the draft.

Thats interesting

I've been thinking Barkley will get zero offers and wind up like Zeke without a team in September

Why would you sign a below average back (statswise) for anything more than vet
minimum. 

He on the other hand will likely be shocked by the GMs reaction to his availability.  He should phone up Elliott and get a dose of reality for an aging oft injured RBs prospects.

We need to move on.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

I will add this:

What will help the team more?

A $10+ million dollar Barkley

A $10 vet guard plus a near vet minimum running back
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

The Rb market is extremely saturated so no RB is going to get paid.

Barkley
Josh Jacobs
Austin Ekeler
Tony Pollard
Derek Henry
DeAndre Swift
JK Dobbins
Devin Singletary
Zack Moss
Antonio Gibons
AJ Dillion
Elliot

Why would anyone pay 12 millions when you can draft a Rb and get a serviceable one for pennies on the dollar.

Leek21

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 22, 2024, 10:57:15 AMI will add this:

What will help the team more?

A $10+ million dollar Barkley

A $10 vet guard plus a near vet minimum running back

My answer is a $10+ million dollar Barkley.

kingm56

Quote from: Leek21 on February 22, 2024, 11:22:34 AMMy answer is a $10+ million dollar Barkley.

Why would you execute that COA when  Barkley's market value is far below $10M+?  Barkley barely made that figure last season, when he was a year younger, coming off a much better season, when the Giants were perceived to be a competitive team, where he was the center piece, in a market with far less quality FA RBs.  Barkley will be 27.6 year old, oft-injured RB, who still has problems picking up blitzes and catching footballs...he'll be lucky to command $7M/yr in guarantee money.  He made a huge mistake last season by not accepting the Giants 3-year offer. 

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 22, 2024, 09:36:07 AMLet us be realistic.   

Rich: Wait a minute... there are a few ways to read the word "must."  One is as you have done.

Others (assuming use of the word "must" is accurate) are revealed when you ask the question... "Why?"

Assuming the statement itself is true, could the owners have ordered it?  There are other possibilities as well.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!