News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The more I hear the more the Giants option at 6 will be

Started by MightyGiants, March 01, 2024, 08:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 04, 2024, 12:36:17 PMBecause he's right in this case. Schoen should have tagged Jones and he didn't need to make that decision to give him a contract that would lock Jones as the Franchise QB after one decent season. It also exposes them to a nice sized Cap hit after 2024. There would be no way he would tag or sign him after last season.

No one predicted the crash and burn of the O-line, which contributed to the injuries that likely cut DJ's career short. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

files58

What Schein is not saying Mara was the one behind signing him. The two year out was a compromise with Schoen/Daboll. Once Mara said, to paraphrase, we've done everything we can to screw up this kid, I knew we were in trouble. Besides, Schein is a blowhard. Boy, am I opinionated today.

MightyGiants

Quote from: files58 on March 04, 2024, 12:44:52 PMWhat Schein is not saying Mara was the one behind signing him. The two year out was a compromise with Schoen/Daboll. Once Mara said, to paraphrase, we've done everything we can to screw up this kid, I knew we were in trouble. Besides, Schein is a blowhard. Boy, am I opinionated today.

That's unqualified "blowhard"  ;)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

If Mara made the call to sign DJ, then i doubt Schoen is on the hotseat as I might have imagined though getting Neal wrong is a huge ding IMHO.

MightyGiants

here is he potential WR 3 the Giants might be "stuck" with (from Bruce Feldman

One last note on the wideouts. I don't believe Rome Odunze will get picked before Marvin Harrison Jr., but it sounded like some NFL personnel people are more intrigued by the Washington star than Harrison. The 6-3, 212-pound Odunze has truly elite ball skills, and people I spoke to about the receivers were effusive in how they talked about his make-up and competitiveness. I'd say going into my trip that Harrison is the closest thing to a "can't miss" in this draft. I still am sold on the Buckeyes All-American, but after listening to NFL people talk about Odunze, I might change my opinion to say that he's the closest thing to a can't-miss project.

https://theathletic.com/5314788/2024/03/04/nfl-scouting-combine-takeaways-quarterbacks/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 04, 2024, 12:38:38 PMNo one predicted the crash and burn of the O-line, which contributed to the injuries that likely cut DJ's career short. 
Daniel Jones is a middling QB who crumbles under pressure, is slow to process, and still can't make protection adjustments or check out of a Pass to Run by counting the Box. If you can't see it or refuse to acknowledge it, that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion and narrative. What you're not entitled to is to attempt to prove everyone wrong who doesn't agree with you by quoting them with your "facts". You've been on this DJ bandwagon for six years now. It's old and tired Rich.     
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 04, 2024, 01:50:06 PMDaniel Jones is a middling QB who crumbles under pressure, is slow to process, and still can't make protection adjustments or check out of a Pass to Run by counting the Box. If you can't see it or refuse to acknowledge it, that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion and narrative. What you're not entitled to is to attempt to prove everyone wrong who doesn't agree with you by quoting them with your "facts". You've been on this DJ bandwagon for six years now. It's old and tired Rich.     

I am pretty sure Schoen and Daboll do not agree with your assertion that "Daniel Jones is a middling QB who crumbles under pressure, is slow to process, and still can't make protection adjustments or check out of a Pass to Run by counting the Box."   If they did, they never would have signed DJ to the contract they did.   Eli Manning, Phil Simms, Peter King, Carl Banks, Mel Kiper, bob Papa and I don't agree with your opinion.  I will acknowledge that Adam Schein (and many posters here at BBH) certainly agrees with your opinion. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 04, 2024, 01:57:29 PMI am pretty sure Schoen and Daboll do not agree with your assertion that "Daniel Jones is a middling QB who crumbles under pressure, is slow to process, and still can't make protection adjustments or check out of a Pass to Run by counting the Box."   If they did, they never would have signed DJ to the contract they did.   Eli Manning, Phil Simms, Peter King, Carl Banks, Mel Kiper, bob Papa and I don't agree with your opinion.  I will acknowledge that Adam Schein (and many posters here at BBH) certainly agrees with your opinion. 
I would discount anyone's opinion on Jones in the Giant bubble. He's a great kid who works hard, is a good teammate, and always says the right thing. It's difficult not to root for him. But you have to forget all that and look at the production--not the potential in year six. He's never put up numbers. He played well in 2022 mainly managing the game, using his legs and benefiting from a healthy Barkley. But even in 2022 he didn't really beat any good teams or put up impressive passing numbers. Right now his biggest problem is that he is injury prone. I feel many of the injuries, especially the upper body ones, are due to his lack of athletic instincts, which also show in his slow processing. He doesn't even know how to slide properly and runs upright not protecting his body, thus the hits on him, can be brutal. But his a good, strong athlete who can run and throw. That hasn't translated to much beyond a good 2022 where the team won many close games.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 04, 2024, 01:57:29 PMI am pretty sure Schoen and Daboll do not agree with your assertion that "Daniel Jones is a middling QB who crumbles under pressure, is slow to process, and still can't make protection adjustments or check out of a Pass to Run by counting the Box."  If they did, they never would have signed DJ to the contract they did.  Eli Manning, Phil Simms, Peter King, Carl Banks, Mel Kiper, and I don't agree with your opinion.  I will acknowledge that Adam Schein (and many posters here at BBH) certainly agrees with your opinion. 
You're sure? How are you sure? Did you have a confidential conversation with them? The three Giants are company men and Kiper is a fool with a big mouth. This is what happens when they are too close to the forest for the trees and they try to please the owner. Even Daboll was visibly upset and frustrated with Jones. They thought he was developing after a good running attack and a bunch of short passes and his legs. Like I've said, with protection, Jones can put up some good stats and win games. However, when the pressure is on and it's big moments, he folds. Tommy DeVito and Tyrod Taylor had better results and they are middling QB's. Ahh, wait. They had Thomas at LT, except for games 6-8.

Schoen went off of one year under Daboll and thought he had a Franchise QB. He's also made other questionable decisions. So had Daboll. The slack in their rope is very short. If they don't draft a QB this year, they are just as foolish as Mel Kiper. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

files58

Quote from: Philosophers on March 04, 2024, 01:04:34 PMIf Mara made the call to sign DJ, then i doubt Schoen is on the hotseat as I might have imagined though getting Neal wrong is a huge ding IMHO.

Mara may try too show he's a fan just like us by throwing chairs, and giving out Pepsi. However he lives in a much different Giant world than we do. It's easy to tolerate losing(they are about 50 games under .500 since 1965) when you sit around with the other owners going harumph, harumph, harumph as Godell distributes duffel bags full of money to each one. The $$$$$$$$$$$$ mitigates, and is a salve for the losing. Love this scene, and Mel there is nothing boyish about those "boys". https://www.google.com/search?q=blazing+saddles+harumph+scene&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS925US925&oq=harumph+scene+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCAgCEAAYFhgeMgYIABBFGDkyDAgBEAAYChgPGBYYHjIICAIQABgWGB7SAQg5NjgyajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:918e706b,vid:NzbhbetwYFU,st:0

Ed Vette

Quote from: katkavage on March 04, 2024, 02:12:55 PMI would discount anyone's opinion on Jones in the Giant bubble. He's a great kid who works hard, is a good teammate, and always says the right thing. It's difficult not to root for him. But you have to forget all that and look at the production--not the potential in year six. He's never put up numbers. He played well in 2022 mainly managing the game, using his legs and benefiting from a healthy Barkley. But even in 2022 he didn't really beat any good teams or put up impressive passing numbers. Right now his biggest problem is that he is injury prone. I feel many of the injuries, especially the upper body ones, are due to his lack of athletic instincts, which also show in his slow processing. He doesn't even know how to slide properly and runs upright not protecting his body, thus the hits on him, can be brutal. But his a good, strong athlete who can run and throw. That hasn't translated to much beyond a good 2022 where the team won many close games.
He was 3-5-1 to end his season in 2022. They took the league by surprise by beating some bad teams to start the year.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 04, 2024, 02:19:36 PMHe was 3-5-1 to end his season in 2022. They took the league by surprise by beating some bad teams to start the year.
He had a great game against the Colts at the end of the year when they were tanking. And then beat a mediocre Minnesota team that had a dreadful defense and a very raw rookie coach.

Ed Vette

Quote from: katkavage on March 04, 2024, 02:26:37 PMHe had a great game against the Colts at the end of the year when they were tanking. And then beat a mediocre Minnesota team that had a dreadful defense and a very raw rookie coach.
That was the game plan. Look at the rushing numbers for both of those Viking games compared to the rest of the season. Daboll knew what they needed to do and he had a great game plan.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

files58

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 04, 2024, 02:13:19 PMYou're sure? How are you sure? Did you have a confidential conversation with them? The three Giants are company men and Kiper is a fool with a big mouth. This is what happens when they are too close to the forest for the trees and they try to please the owner. Even Daboll was visibly upset and frustrated with Jones. They thought he was developing after a good running attack and a bunch of short passes and his legs. Like I've said, with protection, Jones can put up some good stats and win games. However, when the pressure is on and it's big moments, he folds. Tommy DeVito and Tyrod Taylor had better results and they are middling QB's. Ahh, wait. They had Thomas at LT, except for games 6-8.

Schoen went off of one year under Daboll and thought he had a Franchise QB. He's also made other questionable decisions. So had Daboll. The slack in their rope is very short. If they don't draft a QB this year, they are just as foolish as Mel Kiper. 

When Daboll threw the Surface that's all I needed to see to know how Daboll really feels. Jones probably didn't see something, call an audible, adjust protections, take your pick, that Daboll went over with him 100x. After the toss Jones' expression was that of a kid caught taking too many Oreos out of the cookie jar. They want to draft a QB, and have permission to do so. It's a matter of feasibility.

Rosehill Jimmy

What was the tag $ for QBs following'22 season?  Is it possible that the cost might have hamstrung us and prevented signing Okereke and/or extension of Thomas or Dex? 
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"