News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Done with Daniel Jones?

Started by Jclayton92, March 05, 2024, 08:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on March 06, 2024, 11:35:03 AMYou're right of course, old habits die hard. And of course BU used to be called Harpur College, and we used to jokingly refer to Broome Tech as Front Street High.

I've enjoyed how this thread has evolved.

Back in my teen years, my older friends would go to "Harpur College" to buy drugs...in particular, "window pane acid" that students made in the school lab. One guy showed me a sheet of construction paper with lines drawn like graph paper on it, only in one inch squares. You could see in each square where the acid had been dropped. They would cut the paper up in one inch squares and then chew it up to get the acid. I pointed out to the guys that the drops weren't even close to being the same size. Some were the size of a nickel and other less than half that size. I told them they had no idea what they were putting in their system. They didn't care...it was the 60s. Harpur was well known for producing drugs back then. Some of the guys also got their drugs from Cornell where students were doing the same thing, but not as open about it

SUNY Broome was a highly technical school when it was Broome Tech. Nearly all the IBM engineers got their schooling there. At the time, it was strictly an engineering school. I've taken a few courses there over the years and the technical courses are every bit as grueling as the engineering courses at Binghamton U., but that is no longer the case, and it's more of a typical community college now, high in liberal arts. It's still listed as one of the top community colleges in New York, but it no longer resembles anything close to Broome Tech, although they have heavy courses in math, physics, engineering, and computer sciences. In the 70s, I went there to learn CAD/CAM because it was the only place within a hundred miles that taught that subject when it was a new technology
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 06, 2024, 08:38:53 AMEd: Careful there.

No household in PA would be caught dead w/out Rolling Rock (and Yuengling) on hand.

If we go for a visit and the host says, "I've got [insert name of an imported beer here]" on hand, that means he has Yuengling, Rolling Rock and [whatever beer he named]. The word "imported" means beer from anywhere outside of Pennsylvania. lol

Bob

PS. Same goes for scrapple. If you don't know what that is, look it up.

That's the board game with lettered tiles, right?😀
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kingm56 on March 06, 2024, 11:38:45 AMIf you could be so kind, could you please highlight a single negative comment relating to DJ in this thread? 

The great thing about a message board is that if someone posts something you don't like or you don't care to respond to you always have the option of not responding.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kingm56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 06, 2024, 01:33:20 PMThe great thing about a message board is that if someone posts something you don't like or you don't care to respond to you always have the option of not responding.

I 100% agree; in fact, your statement formed the impetuous of my post.  If you or @Jolly Blue Giant had any issues with the topic, you should avoid it, just as you suggested.  Instead, it was explicitly hijacked with snide comments.  Surely you see the hypocrisy? 

BTW, there's now a second thread discussing this EXACT subject; the difference is it criticizes the Giants from moving on from DJ.  Will @Jolly Blue Giant hijack @MightyGiants thread?  No, he won't, because it fits his narrative, which is the height of hypocrisy.  Moreover, his rationale for hijacking this thread was fundamentally flawed as there were no negative comments relating to DJ.  He simply didn't like the story...

Getting back to the thread topic, I've seen multiple stories relating to the same topic.  I suspect it's a lot of guessing; to that point, I won't criticize the Giants or DJ until the completion of the draft.  We'll understand what directions the Giants are going at that point; right now, it's mere speculation, but there seems to be some smoke around this fire.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 06, 2024, 01:33:20 PMThe great thing about a message board is that if someone posts something you don't like or you don't care to respond to you always have the option of not responding.
I'll respond Rich. I think everyone is in an overload of discussing DJ on hundreds of previous threads, so it veered off... perhaps to stop talking about DJ...again10

No one has a clue what is going on in Schoen's head concerning DJ, and we won't know until after FA and the draft. Most figure he will give DJ another year, but even that's nothing more than an educated guess, because absolutely no one knows...and talking heads and beat writers throw crap at the wall to see if something sticks in order to get an audience during the dead period of football. All the guessing in the world won't illuminate what goes on in Schoen's head...so "taverns and schools and beer oh my"...anything to avoid one more comment on DJ

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on March 06, 2024, 01:48:58 PMI 100% agree; in fact, your statement formed the impetuous of my post.  If you or @Jolly Blue Giant had any issues with the topic, you should avoid it, just as you suggested.  Instead, it was explicitly hijacked with snide comments.  Surely you see the hypocrisy? 

BTW, there's now a second thread discussing this EXACT subject; the difference is it criticizes the Giants from moving on from DJ.  Will @Jolly Blue Giant hijack @MightyGiants thread?  No, he won't, because it fits his narrative, which is the height of hypocrisy.  Moreover, his rationale for hijacking this thread was fundamentally flawed as there were no negative comments relating to DJ.  He simply didn't like the story...

Getting back to the thread topic, I've seen multiple stories relating to the same topic.  I suspect it's a lot of guessing; to that point, I won't criticize the Giants or DJ until the completion of the draft.  We'll understand what directions the Giants are going at that point; right now, it's mere speculation, but there seems to be some smoke around this fire.

Matt,

These are two different topics.  This thread discusses reports of rumors that reporter/ESPN host Rich Eissen heard that the Giants are done with Daniel Jones.

The other thread is a rant by a man qualified enough to be a GM (he actually interviewed for the Giants job), giving his expert opinion on how the Giants have been treating Daniel Jones and conducting their business.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: kingm56 on March 06, 2024, 01:48:58 PMI 100% agree; in fact, your statement formed the impetuous of my post.  If you or @Jolly Blue Giant had any issues with the topic, you should avoid it, just as you suggested.  Instead, it was explicitly hijacked with snide comments.  Surely you see the hypocrisy? 

Wow...you got me all figured out...LOL

I didn't high jack this thread. It veered of course when Larry (Painter) brought up Balantine beer, and it brought back memories of many people who chimed in about Balantine, which in turn took off like a rocket. I'm thoroughly guilty of participating and found the chatter fun and interesting. Sorry  :( 

Ed Vette

About 75% of NYG fans want Daniel Jones gone. Not that they place all the blame on him, as any neophyte knows that the Offensive Line is a huge problem.

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-giants/fan-approval-poll-daboll-daniel-jones/

"76.8% of fans voted that the Giants need to move on from Jones in 2024, adding that "he's not a franchise-caliber QB and can't stay healthy." 11.7% of 2,753 responses also voiced that the quarterback position deserves the most blame this season (second highest result), while a majority of fans (62.9%) targeted the offensive line as the number one culprit in 2023."
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 06, 2024, 01:53:47 PMMatt,

These are two different topics.  This thread discusses reports of rumors that reporter/ESPN host Rich Eissen heard that the Giants are done with Daniel Jones.

The other thread is a rant by a man qualified enough to be a GM (he actually interviewed for the Giants job), giving his expert opinion on how the Giants have been treating Daniel Jones and conducting their business.

Fundamentally, they revolve around the same point...the Giants moving on from DJ. BTW, I disagree  Riddick is more informed to offer an opinion on the subject than Eisen. The latter has a far better track record than the former, who's had some wild misses the last few years.  BTW, I fundamentally disagree that interviewing for a job qualifies you to speak on the subject.  Put another way, do you place every job interview on your resume?  Doesn't it speak louder that he wasn't hired, despite multiple interviews?  If anything, the NFL seems to be telling him he's not qualified for the role.

Regardless, I appreciate you discussing the topic and recognize that both reports maybe full of poo.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on March 06, 2024, 02:15:33 PMFundamentally, they revolve around the same point...the Giants moving on from DJ. BTW, I disagree  Riddick is more informed to offer an opinion on the subject than Eisen. The latter has a far better track record than the former, who's had some wild misses the last few years.  BTW, I fundamentally disagree that interviewing for a job qualifies you to speak on the subject.  Put another way, do you place every job interview on your resume?  Doesn't it speak louder that he wasn't hired, despite multiple interviews?  If anything, the NFL seems to be telling him he's not qualified for the role.

Regardless, I appreciate you discussing the topic and recognize that both reports maybe full of poo.

I once read an article that suggested when you read opinions, you should treat the person espousing the opinion like a court treats qualifying an expert witness.   You look at their education and experience and what qualifies them as an expert.

You claim that Eissen has a better "track record" than Reddick, but I seriously doubt that you took the time to go over every position held by both men and compared their overall track record.  I suspect you just selected a few instances that would support your preconceived notions. 

The bottom line is that Richard Eissen is not remotely qualified to be an expert witness, while the evidence is overwhelming for Louis Reddick.   That's why I will value Reddick's opinions over Eissen's.

I am not advocating blindly listening to opinions, it's still well worth hearing them with a critical mindset, but I do advocate for expertise over matching
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 06, 2024, 01:57:32 PMWow...you got me all figured out...LOL

I didn't high jack this thread. It veered of course when Larry (Painter) brought up Balantine beer, and it brought back memories of many people who chimed in about Balantine, which in turn took off like a rocket. I'm thoroughly guilty of participating and found the chatter fun and interesting. Sorry  :(

You're correct; I was completely wrong to single you out.  Please accept my sincere apologizes.  I won't delete my post because I think it's unfair to hide my oversight.  Still, I do take issues with the few posters who purposely highjacked a thread that contained zero negative comments. It was a news story from a legitimate NFL host with a 40-year track record of not making hyperbolic statements.  As I stated, posters' favorite beer is a great subject and worthy of discussion; yet, I think it's completely disrespectful and unfair to the OP to purposely sidetrack his thread.  Again, 100% wrong of me to single you out...but, I would like my overall critique to stand. 

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 06, 2024, 02:03:22 PMAbout 75% of NYG fans want Daniel Jones gone. Not that they place all the blame on him, as any neophyte knows that the Offensive Line is a huge problem.

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-giants/fan-approval-poll-daboll-daniel-jones/

"76.8% of fans voted that the Giants need to move on from Jones in 2024, adding that "he's not a franchise-caliber QB and can't stay healthy." 11.7% of 2,753 responses also voiced that the quarterback position deserves the most blame this season (second highest result), while a majority of fans (62.9%) targeted the offensive line as the number one culprit in 2023."

That's a heck of a lot higher than I would have guessed. I suspect the poll would have been reversed from 2022.

files58

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 06, 2024, 01:20:17 PMBack in my teen years, my older friends would go to "Harpur College" to buy drugs...in particular, "window pane acid" that students made in the school lab. One guy showed me a sheet of construction paper with lines drawn like graph paper on it, only in one inch squares. You could see in each square where the acid had been dropped. They would cut the paper up in one inch squares and then chew it up to get the acid. I pointed out to the guys that the drops weren't even close to being the same size. Some were the size of a nickel and other less than half that size. I told them they had no idea what they were putting in their system. They didn't care...it was the 60s. Harpur was well known for producing drugs back then. Some of the guys also got their drugs from Cornell where students were doing the same thing, but not as open about it

SUNY Broome was a highly technical school when it was Broome Tech. Nearly all the IBM engineers got their schooling there. At the time, it was strictly an engineering school. I've taken a few courses there over the years and the technical courses are every bit as grueling as the engineering courses at Binghamton U., but that is no longer the case, and it's more of a typical community college now, high in liberal arts. It's still listed as one of the top community colleges in New York, but it no longer resembles anything close to Broome Tech, although they have heavy courses in math, physics, engineering, and computer sciences. In the 70s, I went there to learn CAD/CAM because it was the only place within a hundred miles that taught that subject when it was a new technology

My son is a BU student at the Watson School of Engineering.

In a related subject to your post, being a devoted Grateful Dead fan two shows stand out 5/2/70 which took place on campus(there's a wall plaque in a dining hall), and 11/6/77 which was at Broome County Coliseum. My son tells me that one of the bars in town serves a Jerry Garcia cocktail, Deep Eddy Peach Vodka, Razzmatazz, and Triple Sec.

TDToomer

Best threadjack ever. I propose we discuss our favorite Italian foods in the next unnecessary Jones thread.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 06, 2024, 02:26:27 PMI once read an article that suggested when you read opinions, you should treat the person espousing the opinion like a court treats qualifying an expert witness.  You look at their education and experience and what qualifies them as an expert.

You claim that Eissen has a better "track record" than Reddick, but I seriously doubt that you took the time to go over every position held by both men and compared their overall track record.  I suspect you just selected a few instances that would support your preconceived notions. 

The bottom line is that Richard Eissen is not remotely qualified to be an expert witness, while the evidence is overwhelming for Louis Reddick.  That's why I will value Reddick's opinions over Eissen's.

I am not advocating blindly listening to opinions, it's still well worth hearing them with a critical mindset, but I do advocate for expertise over matching
Rich, is Eisen analyzing the protentional transaction, or is he simply reporting information, which is his 40-year career gives him access to?  If it's the former, I'll take Eisen over Reddick any day. 

Reddick seems to be reporting the same news, but adding a different nuance than Eisen. I suspect said nuance is based on comments he made last season regarding DJ:

"Giants did exactly what they should have done with Jones and Barkley.

Daboll/Kafka combination going to be even better in year two, and they will take DJ to another level with improved interior OL play & more weapons, as Kafka becomes one of/THE hottest HC candidates for 2024

The amount of learning, adapting, adjusting, and continuous improving that Kafka did both personally and as far as utilizing what he had to work with as a play caller in '22 was exceptional. One of THE best assistant coaching jobs of the year."

If the Giants really are moving on from DJ (and Barkley), Riddick was either wrong then, or he's wrong now.  Regardless, I think it's fair to equate his current analysis to last years projections.

From drafting Haskins, hiring Nick Saban, calling AT a flop, and resigning DJ and Barkley, he's simply been dead wrong as it relates to our Giants.  In fact, i struggle to recall a time he's been right, at least as it relates to the Giants.