News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rate the Brian Burns trade

Started by MightyGiants, March 13, 2024, 08:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a scale of 1-5 (5 being most approving) rate the Brian Burns trade

uconnjack8

Rams have sort of trailblazed a different blueprint for building a championship roster.  They have been successful with the big trades they made. 

We'll see how resilient they are when they try and move on from a top 5 all-time DT.  They impressively built a solid back end of their defense last year.

Painter

Why would anyone here assume to be equipped to make such judgements? I know, we yack for the sake of it but still... all that really matters is that whatever we think won't matter in the least as we know how the Giants have answered the question. So, I suppose what we are really doing is that which we thrive upon and do best which is second-guessing the Giants as a whole.

So, wouldn't be more to the point to rate the Giants chances of finishing next to last rather than last in the Division with or without their having made the Brian Burns trade?

Cheers!

Stringer Bell

"Hey guys, the Giants made a move. Let's discuss on this message board."

"What a wayward folly of dullards to deign an astute observation whence it's sourced from the annals of mediocrity. Ergo, consider your poppycock dalliances to be yet another weary slight to wisdom and honor."

Rinse. Repeat.

Painter

Quote from: Stringer Bell on June 24, 2024, 12:08:08 AM"Hey guys, the Giants made a move. Let's discuss on this message board."

"What a wayward folly of dullards to deign an astute observation whence it's sourced from the annals of mediocrity. Ergo, consider your poppycock dalliances to be yet another weary slight to wisdom and honor."

Rinse. Repeat.

Well done. You took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't have said it any better although perhaps you were a tad too harsh. In any case, glad we see it the same way.

Cheers!

TONKA56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 13, 2024, 09:24:19 AMI am pretty down on this trade myself.

The Giants gave Burns the sort of contract that would have allowed the Giants to sign one of the free-agent edge rushers and saved the draft capital they spent.

As Mike Lombardi said, Brian Burns is not a blue-chip player.  There can be an argument made that he is a red chipper.  The problem, in my eye, is that the Giants spent cap and draft capital like Brian Burns was a blue-chip player, and he hasn't shown that in his 4 years in the league.

The Giants have a pretty poor track record of signing edge rushers as free agents. Overwhelmingly our best edge players have been drafted.

uconnjack8

Hopefully he plays like the company he keeps in salary

Doc16LT56

Quote from: TONKA56 on June 24, 2024, 05:38:15 PMThe Giants have a pretty poor track record of signing edge rushers as free agents. Overwhelmingly our best edge players have been drafted.
The Giants traded a 2nd round pick for Burns. They weren't going to use the 6th overall pick on an edge rusher this year, so they would've been throwing another dart at 2nd round or later edge rushers which they haven't had much success with the last 20+ years. The last time they hit on one was Osi in 2003.

2004: Reggie Torbor, 4th round
2009: Clint Sintim, 2nd round
2010: Adrian Tracey. 6th round
2013: Damontre Moore, 3rd round
2014: Devon Kennard, 6th round
2015: Odigi, 3rd round
2018: Lorenzo Carter, 3rd round
2019: Oshane Ximines, 3rd round
2021: Azeez Ojulari, 2nd round
2021: Elerson Smith, 4th round

Brian Burns for a 2nd round pick instantly gives the team an alpha edge rusher and teams up perfectly with Thibs and Dex. It was the right move at the right time.

TONKA56

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on June 24, 2024, 08:54:42 PMThe Giants traded a 2nd round pick for Burns. They weren't going to use the 6th overall pick on an edge rusher this year, so they would've been throwing another dart at 2nd round or later edge rushers which they haven't had much success with the last 20+ years. The last time they hit on one was Osi in 2003.

2004: Reggie Torbor, 4th round
2009: Clint Sintim, 2nd round
2010: Adrian Tracey. 6th round
2013: Damontre Moore, 3rd round
2014: Devon Kennard, 6th round
2015: Odigi, 3rd round
2018: Lorenzo Carter, 3rd round
2019: Oshane Ximines, 3rd round
2021: Azeez Ojulari, 2nd round
2021: Elerson Smith, 4th round

Brian Burns for a 2nd round pick instantly gives the team an alpha edge rusher and teams up perfectly with Thibs and Dex. It was the right move at the right time.

Nothing I stated really has anything to do specifically with the Burns deal, to which I am completely indifferent. I just hope it's not reminiscent of Kenny Holmes, LaVar Arrington, or Olivier Vernon.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: TONKA56 on June 25, 2024, 07:34:25 PMNothing I stated really has anything to do specifically with the Burns deal, to which I am completely indifferent. I just hope it's not reminiscent of Kenny Holmes, LaVar Arrington, or Olivier Vernon.
No, you said their best edge players have been drafted. If you're referring to JPP, Kiwi, and Thibs, those were all 1st round picks. What I tried to share in my post is their track record after the 1st round is not good. That's why I think the Burns trade makes so much sense.