News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Baseball rules

Started by LennG, May 09, 2024, 08:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GIANTS1

on the ball off the umpire i think its a live ball no catch can be ruled. lenn on the rundown play once the runner from second occupies 3rd is he even allowed to go back to second. i thought not in this situation.

Sem

Quote from: LennG on June 28, 2024, 05:46:29 PMSo I have some 'new' rules questions, including one I never knew also.

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, and the offensive team tries a squeeze play. The runner from 3rd is now in a rundown between 3rd and home. The runner from 2nd runs to 3rd and now occupies it. The runner in the rundown crashes into a defensive player and is called out for offensive interference. Does the runner, who is now on 3rd remain there?

Since you have made the point a couple times now that a team cannot gain an advantage when interference is called on a play, I say the runner originally on second base must go back to second.

Sem

Quote from: LennG on June 28, 2024, 09:02:42 PMHere's another.

Batter hits a pop-up and it is right by the stands. The 1st baseman reaches over t he rail to make the catch but a fan also goes for the ball and prevents the 1at baseman from making the catch.

Can the umpire call the batter out for fan-interference because it would have been an easy catch but it was over the fence?
I agree with Ric. In the stands is fair game. Foul ball.

Sem

Quote from: LennG on June 28, 2024, 09:05:54 PMAnd a 3rd one.

Man on 1st base. The send base umpire is in the infield in the correct position. The batter hits a line drive that hits the umpire on the foot, bounds up in the air, and is caught by the 2nd baseman, who now throws to first to try and double the runner off.

What's your call?

This may be wrong, but I'm going to go out on a limb here. I'm reasonably sure that a ball striking the umpire is "in play," at least I've heard and seen that countless times on TV broadcasts. In each case I've seen, the ball is treated as though it didn't hit the umpire, in other words a live ball. So if it hasn't yet hit the ground before the fielder catches it, I'd say it's a pop-up (or line out), and so the baserunner, if he is off the bag at the time of the catch, has to return to the bag before the throw from the 2nd baseman. If he doesn't get back in time he is out. That said, I've never seen a call caught by a fielder before it hits the ground, after hitting an umpire. Interesting question.

LennG

Instead of replying to each of you, here are the answers.

I think you all go the spectator interference correct, once the ball is over the rail it is anyone's ball and there is no interference, just a foul ball and a lot of boos from the home crowd if it was against the home team.

On the squeeze play, Steve has learned enough here to get this one exactly correct. Since the runner in the rundown caused the interference, his team cannot benefit from his act. Even though the runner from 2nd was clearly on 3rd base BEFORE the interference, once the call is made and the runner in the rundown is declared out, the umpire will send the other runner back to 2nd base.

And the last one
 I added a few elements to this that really have no meaning. The key to this one is the position of the umpire. I said he was in the infield so if he gets hit by any batted ball, the ball is immediately dead and the batter is awarded 1st base and all runners advance one base if forced. The umpire is considered part of the field, but because the ball didn't pass any fielder and the pitcher is not considered a fielder on a play like this, no one was able to make a play so the ball is dead. If the umpire was behind any infielder and gets hit then the ball is in play and alive. If it hits him and doesn't touch the ground hitting the umpire is considered hitting the ground and it would be like a ground ball. In the instance I gave, if the umpire had been behind the player, the 2nd baseman by throwing to 1st would retire the batter/runner and the other runners advanced. If he had thrown to 2nd first, and then back to 1st, it could have been a double play.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Here is one that happens all the time, especially at the High school and college level.

Man on 1st, batter up. Pitcher goes into his stretch and comes to the required stop. The batter suddenly asks for time but the umpire doesn't hear him and he steps out of the box. Pitcher didn't see this and starts his delivery but on seeing the batter stepping out of the box, he stopped mid-delivery and didn't throw the pitch. The offensive team is calling for a black.

What's YOUR call?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

and another

Once again, man on 1st and 2 out.  3-2 count. Batter swings and misses at a curve ball that bounces in front of home plate and the catcher catches it cleanly after that. Is the batter out?

Charlie Weiss

LennG

So let's make it a triple play again

Stay with the scenario of a man on 1st again 2 out and the batter has a 3-2 count. Batter swings at the next pitch and tips it back to the catcher. It hits off his chest protector and then he secures it in his mitt before it ever hits the ground. Is the batter out?

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on June 29, 2024, 01:05:21 PMand another

Once again, man on 1st and 2 out. Batter swings and misses at a curve ball that bounces in front of home plate and the catcher catches it cleanly after that. Is the batter out?

If it's strike 3, then of course he's out. If it's strike 2, or strike 1 - it's a strike and the batter is out. I think there's a piece of this scenario missing  :-??
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on June 29, 2024, 01:07:56 PMSo let's make it a triple play again

Stay with the scenario of a man on 1st again 2 out and the batter has a 3-2 count. Batter swings at the next pitch and tips it back to the catcher. It hits off his chest protector and then he secures it in his mitt before it ever hits the ground. Is the batter out?

Yes
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 29, 2024, 01:09:57 PMIf it's strike 3, then of course he's out. If it's strike 2, or strike 1 - it's a strike and the batter is out. I think there's a piece of this scenario missing  :-??

You are right in that I forgot to include the count at the time of the swing. I have corrected it, so check your answer again.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on June 29, 2024, 02:13:14 PMYou are right in that I forgot to include the count at the time of the swing. I have corrected it, so check your answer again.

I still say yes...as long as the ball never touches the ground

Sem

Quote from: LennG on June 29, 2024, 12:43:14 PMInstead of replying to each of you, here are the answers.

I think you all go the spectator interference correct, once the ball is over the rail it is anyone's ball and there is no interference, just a foul ball and a lot of boos from the home crowd if it was against the home team.

On the squeeze play, Steve has learned enough here to get this one exactly correct. Since the runner in the rundown caused the interference, his team cannot benefit from his act. Even though the runner from 2nd was clearly on 3rd base BEFORE the interference, once the call is made and the runner in the rundown is declared out, the umpire will send the other runner back to 2nd base.

And the last one
 I added a few elements to this that really have no meaning. The key to this one is the position of the umpire. I said he was in the infield so if he gets hit by any batted ball, the ball is immediately dead and the batter is awarded 1st base and all runners advance one base if forced. The umpire is considered part of the field, but because the ball didn't pass any fielder and the pitcher is not considered a fielder on a play like this, no one was able to make a play so the ball is dead. If the umpire was behind any infielder and gets hit then the ball is in play and alive. If it hits him and doesn't touch the ground hitting the umpire is considered hitting the ground and it would be like a ground ball. In the instance I gave, if the umpire had been behind the player, the 2nd baseman by throwing to 1st would retire the batter/runner and the other runners advanced. If he had thrown to 2nd first, and then back to 1st, it could have been a double play.
LOL, I was wrong on multiple levels on that last scenario.

Sem

Quote from: LennG on June 29, 2024, 01:01:33 PMHere is one that happens all the time, especially at the High school and college level.

Man on 1st, batter up. Pitcher goes into his stretch and comes to the required stop. The batter suddenly asks for time but the umpire doesn't hear him and he steps out of the box. Pitcher didn't see this and starts his delivery but on seeing the batter stepping out of the box, he stopped mid-delivery and didn't throw the pitch. The offensive team is calling for a black.

What's YOUR call?
Balk

Sem

Quote from: LennG on June 29, 2024, 01:05:21 PMand another

Once again, man on 1st and 2 out.  3-2 count. Batter swings and misses at a curve ball that bounces in front of home plate and the catcher catches it cleanly after that. Is the batter out?
Strike three, but with 2 outs and 1st base occupied, and the ball hitting the ground before the catcher caught it, the batter can run to first. The catcher must throw to first for the putout. The pitcher gets credited with a strikeout, but the first baseman gets the putout, (provided the ball beats the runner).