News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Baseball rules

Started by LennG, May 09, 2024, 08:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sem

Quote from: LennG on June 29, 2024, 01:07:56 PMSo let's make it a triple play again

Stay with the scenario of a man on 1st again 2 out and the batter has a 3-2 count. Batter swings at the next pitch and tips it back to the catcher. It hits off his chest protector and then he secures it in his mitt before it ever hits the ground. Is the batter out?
Yes, strike three.

GIANTS1

not out in above. catcher has to catch it cleanly. play where the batter stepped out i would probably not call balk because batter stepped out of box. play where the ball hits in front of plate still would have to complete the play either tagging batter or throw to first.

GIANTS1

On my way out the door now. I have to do 2 American legion baseball games. Love these ?

Sem

MLB question for you @LennG 
I was watching the Yankees and Blue Jays Friday night, and there was a play late in the game which I wonder if you could comment on. Yanks up, Volpe at bat, a runner, on first. The pitcher "rocks and deals" (LOL, channeling Lindsey Nelson there), but his spike catches on the rubber and he falls down, As he falls he (either intentionally or unintentionally) releases his grip on the ball and it rolls toward the plate a couple feet. Umpire understandably calls a ball.  My question is what if he had hung on to the ball as he fell. Would that have been a balk, even though his slip was accidental and there was no intent to deceive the runner?

LennG

Quote from: Sem on June 29, 2024, 09:41:18 PMMLB question for you @LennG 
I was watching the Yankees and Blue Jays Friday night, and there was a play late in the game which I wonder if you could comment on. Yanks up, Volpe at bat, a runner, on first. The pitcher "rocks and deals" (LOL, channeling Lindsey Nelson there), but his spike catches on the rubber and he falls down, As he falls he (either intentionally or unintentionally) releases his grip on the ball and it rolls toward the plate a couple feet. Umpire understandably calls a ball.  My question is what if he had hung on to the ball as he fell. Would that have been a balk, even though his slip was accidental and there was no intent to deceive the runner?

Steve

Just to answer this as I have my family over today.
With no one on and the pitcher for whatever reason tries to pitch and the ball slips out of his hand if it crosses the foul line into dead area it is a ball. If it doesn't it is no pitch

With anyone on base if it crosses the foul line it is still a ball but if it doesn't then it is a balk no matter the reason.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

GIANTS1

Lenn the question about the pitcher coming set an stopping his motion with runners on base because batter stepped out. I never saw your answer on that one.

LennG

I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply. My computer is on the frizz and I've tried on my phone twice and both times it got erased before I posted it , so let me try now on my wife's laptop.

Question 1

WShen the pitcher stops his delivery because the batter stepped out of the box without time being called, there is no balk. The rule book specifically states this. The pitcher will not be at fault if the batter does something illegal to cause him to balk. I can't tell you how many arguments I have had about this over the years. In fact, I used to carry a copy of the rule with me and show it to coaches when there came out to argue why no balk is to be called. To put it simply it is a 'do-over', one of the very few times in baseball you can have a 'do-over'.I find it hard to work on this laptop or else I would post the section in the rule book where this rule is located. Maybe later.

Question 2

If a batter swings and misses on a 3rd strike, with 2 out,  and the ball somehow hits the ground, the catcher must make a play on him regardless if the catcher catches it cleanly after hitting the ground. He must make a play on that batter unless the batter abandons the plate and walks back to the dugout.

Question 3

If a batter swings and foul tips the ball with 2 strikes on him, the ball has to go directly to or off the catcher's mitt first. If it hits his chest protector, mask, shin guard, or whatever first it is a foul ball.
Again, it has to directly hit his itt first. If it hits his mitt, bounds up in the air and then is caught, the batter is still out. This is a very hard call for the plate umpire and is usually called by a base umpire.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Thanks Len, I like these rules questions. You're showing me that, despite watching baseball for over 50 years, there's so little I really know.  Redfaced

GIANTS1

thanks Lenn thats the way i would have called that. a reset so to speak.