News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Which has been harder to find, GM, HC, or QB?

Started by MightyGiants, May 11, 2024, 07:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The Giants had a great GM in George Young (until he lost his fastball).  After Young, they had Earnie Accorsi, who was a good but not great GM.  Jerry Reese started off hot (with a great 2007 draft), but he drove the team into the ground.  David Gettleman was a complete disaster, and the verdict is still out on Schoen.

The Giants hit paydirt with Bill Parcells, but they followed that with the disaster that was Ray Handley.  Dan Reeves was a pretty good head coach, but he liked to play GM, which he was not good at.  He was followed by Jim Fassel, who wasn't horrible but was a bit flawed.  The Giants hit paydirt again with Tom Coughlin.   Since Coughlin, it has been a merry-go-round of failed head coaches Ben McAdoo, Pat Shurmur, and Joe Judge.  The verdict on the current HC, Brian Daboll, is still out.

The Giants hit on Phil Simms.  When the Giants cut Simms, they went with failed Dave Brown.  As Brown was released, you had Kannel and Kent Graham.  The Giants found a solid one in Kerry Collins. The Giants upgraded from Collins with Eli Manning.   Since Manning's retirement the Giants have had Daniel Jones.

So, which position have the Giants had the most struggles finding a solid candidate?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

I think you answered your own question. They've hit pay dirt twice with the coaches and quarterbacks but only once with their GM's.

Jclayton92

Qb some teams go decades without a guy. The Giants have been lucky in the past with Qbs, most teams aren't as lucky.

ozzie

GM is the one calling the shots, hiring coaches and building the team. I believe the GM is the lynch pin and the hardest position to get right.
It all starts at the top.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Philosophers

You did answer your own question.  All three insanely important and all three similar results.

babywhales

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kartanoman

Three important roles, no question.

But we all know it takes much more than these guys to make a champion. You need impact players. You need catalysts. You need leaders by example. You need players who inspire. You need people behind the scenes who contribute endlessly to optimize the end product on the field. You will find that these folks are equally as hard to find in lock step with the above three.

For every George Young and Bill Parcells, there has to be a Bill Belichick, a Mike Pope, a Lawrence Taylor, a Harry Carson, a Mark Bavaro, a Phil McConkey, a Johnny Parker and so many others who never had their name shouted during roll call. But all of them, taken together, accomplished the greatest achievement in New York Football Giants' history. They deserve to be the benchmark by which all other Giants' seasons should be measured against.

Finding the right pieces to a championship puzzle remains a daunting challenge in the NFL. To find the calibur of staff and players the 1986 Championship team was made up of is a testament to Simms, Parcells and Young; however, it must include Timothy Mara and Wellington Mara for agreeing to hire George Young, on February 14, 1979, and agree to a new set of principles by which they would step back and yield authority for football operations decisions to their new General Manager.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Gmo11

It's a real chicken or the egg conundrum.  I think it's the QB.  For all the buffoonery of Gettleman...and lord knows there was a lot of THAT out of him during his despicable tenure... if he stumbles accidentally into Jones being any good he probably still has his job right now.  And we all know that guy is horrible at this job.

So to me you can have a bad GM and think he's good provided the QB he gets masks the stench.  You can't really mask a bad QB with a good GM.  No matter the pieces you surround him with, if he's bad he's gonna be bad.  And he's going to take the team with him.