News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Goff’s New Deal

Started by MightyGiants, May 13, 2024, 05:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 14, 2024, 02:52:19 PMHe puts up the yards but he's averaged 23 TD's a season, had three years with the Rams and Lions where he had avg. 20 TD's a season and his career Rating and QBR are just ok. He's one of the better middle of the pack QB's but this contract is ridiculous. He's the second highest-paid QB in the league.

He got traded to the Detroit Lions and threw over 30 TDs. That just is not supposed to happen. NO ONE goes to the Detroit freakin Lions to do anything but, retire early and blame coaching, front office, the defense etc.

In his first year he was playing for 10 mil a year. He has been like the 16th highest paid QB for years now despite being top 10 in many categories. You don't cheap out on a guy like that after he got you to where you wanted to be after you were paying him peanuts on a 0-10-1 team. The fact is Goff is sort of mystery given his inconsistent play and dubious circumstances. He has shown a very high ceiling at times.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on May 14, 2024, 10:14:26 AMI think they did the right thing.  That team is very good so they're not going to be in position to draft a franchise QB any time soon.  Goff is young enough, and has shown enough, that he is probably the best option they're going to have at that position for quite some time. 

If you think of Goff as a journeyman QB I don't think you've been paying attention to what he's done since joining the Lions.  If Jones put up numbers like Goff has we'd be collectively pooping our pants with excitement and throwing all of the money in the world at him.  Goff is pretty good.  He's not in the Mahomes/Jackson/Burrow/Allen tier but he's probably in the next one down.  And that is plenty good enough to win a Super Bowl with in the right situation.  He's in the right situation.

I'm not really sure what part of my post made you think I think of Goff as a journeyman. I said he's a top 10 QB on paper but I'm not sure if he's a top 10 QB in a vacuum. That's quite a far cry from calling him a journeyman.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

I agree Goff is not elite.  I am just not sure what alternative they had. 

If the team offers less and he rejects then what?  Franchise tag?  That kills your cap immediately and only lasts year.  So another tag the following year?  Rinse and repeat?

Do they tell him to walk?  Or trade him?

If so who is the replacement?  The team is on an excellent trajectory, if they opt to not keep Goff that changes everything, and if that doesnt work out, the GM and HC will be out of a job. 

Off the top of my head the closest thing I can think of is Washington and Minnesota saying goodbye to Cousins because they didn't feel he was worth it.  Hasnt worked out too well for Washington, the Vikings remains to be seen

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE