News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF ranks the Giants’ offensive line last in the NFL

Started by LennG, May 13, 2024, 08:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

I for one am shocked that this OL which yielded a historic # of sacks last year is rated the worst in preseason.

Hopefully the FAs they added can bring enough to the table to help bring this group to at least middle of the road.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 15, 2024, 06:03:19 AMTell that to MVP QB Lamar Jackson.

Seriously, it's not like officials forced the Giants to punt when DJ's legs pick up a first down.  It's not like officials tell the score keeper to remove that touchdown because DJ ran it in rather than threw it.   Yardage, first downs, and touchdowns all count the same regardless if DJ got them through the air or on the ground.
Jackson can throw the ball downfield while scrambling and running or from the pocket and not get hurt to the point of losing a massive amount of time. 

Torn ACL, and several neck injuries have resulted in him not protecting himself by sliding or giving himself up. Not being available for 21 games out of 81 or 26%. All of his injuries are not from poor protection but poor judgment, stubbornness and too dumb to learn how to slide. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on May 15, 2024, 06:34:34 AMI think this is extremely important this year. One has to assume that his rushing production will take a hit post-ACL unless he has an Adrian Peterson-like recovery.
It won't matter if he hasn't learned how to slide or take an Eli dive. He's apparently too rigid of a body or not athletic enough to be able to slide. One of his issues is taking off after the first read. Because he can't read the field past his first read, or hesitates and windows close. Something the apologists and pilot fish are too stubborn or obtuse to accept. Which are the same traits he exhibits.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

sxdxca38

Quote from: Trench on May 15, 2024, 12:19:36 AMCan you please point out where any of that it says "it is ALL on Jones"??

If not, please don't put words in people's mouths. There is not a fan on this forum who believes everything is Jones fault.

Can you please show me in the quotes where it doesn't say that he isn't?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 15, 2024, 07:44:28 AMIt won't matter if he hasn't learned how to slide or take an Eli dive. He's apparently too rigid of a body or not athletic enough to be able to slide. One of his issues is taking off after the first read. Because he can't read the field past his first read, or hesitates and windows close. Something the apologists and pilot fish are too stubborn or obtuse to accept. Which are the same traits he exhibits.
Quote from: Ed Vette on May 15, 2024, 07:34:39 AMJackson can throw the ball downfield while scrambling and running or from the pocket and not get hurt to the point of losing a massive amount of time. 

Torn ACL, and several neck injuries have resulted in him not protecting himself by sliding or giving himself up. Not being available for 21 games out of 81 or 26%. All of his injuries are not from poor protection but poor judgment, stubbornness and too dumb to learn how to slide. 

I don't remember the first neck injury.   However the second one was a hit in the back because Ezeudu completely wiffed his block.  The ACL was from trying to get out of the pocket because his protection had completely broken down.   DJ actually was trying to get around his unengaged RT to escape the pressure from his left.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: sxdxca38 on May 15, 2024, 09:27:48 AMCan you please show me in the quotes where it doesn't say that he isn't?

You can't support your actual point, so instead you demand someone prove a negative?

Let's break this down quickly: you asserted people on the board are pinning it all on Jones based on a quote which didn't actually support that prospect, got that pointed out, continued to provide some random quotes which similarly didn't support your point. But instead of conceding, you double-down by requesting that others prove that people didn't assert your point?

Sorry, but that's not how it works. Either you can back up what you assert or you can't. Pretty clear where we've landed on that right now.

Trench

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on May 15, 2024, 10:20:25 AMYou can't support your actual point, so instead you demand someone prove a negative?

Let's break this down quickly: you asserted people on the board are pinning it all on Jones based on a quote which didn't actually support that prospect, got that pointed out, continued to provide some random quotes which similarly didn't support your point. But instead of conceding, you double-down by requesting that others prove that people didn't assert your point?

Sorry, but that's not how it works. Either you can back up what you assert or you can't. Pretty clear where we've landed on that right now.

Thank you. Case closed.

kingm56

Quote from: sxdxca38 on May 15, 2024, 09:27:48 AMCan you please show me in the quotes where it doesn't say that he isn't?

You're claiming the absence of a statement must mean it's true!? If I proclaim Evan Neal is a terrible RT, does that automatically equate to him being the sole reason for the Giants failures?

Also, where does it say in those statements that DJ won't become an AP by the time he's 35?  I mean, if the absence of a statement is evidence of intent, we can make anything up...

kingm56

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on May 15, 2024, 10:20:25 AMYou can't support your actual point, so instead you demand someone prove a negative?

I had the same reaction, but you beat me to it.  Asking someone to prove a negative is completely unfair. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 15, 2024, 09:34:21 AMI don't remember the first neck injury.   However the second one was a hit in the back because Ezeudu completely wiffed his block.  The ACL was from trying to get out of the pocket because his protection had completely broken down.   DJ actually was trying to get around his unengaged RT to escape the pressure from his left.   

"Jones, who just returned from a three-game absence with a neck injury, had his knee bend awkwardly trying to avoid a sack on the last play of the first quarter. He returned, but on the very next play, his right knee buckled under him again during his dropback.

"He felt like he buckled, and then he was running it off," Daboll said about the two-play sequence. "We went over to him, we talked to him, he said, 'Nah, I'm good,' and then went back in, and it obviously wasn't."

Awkwardly trying to avoid a sack... QB's try to avoid sacks every game. No QB is clean all game. He needs to learn how to protect his body. Something he hasn't been able to do in 5 seasons. Then instead of getting checked out, he goes right back out there. That's on Daboll too BTW.

The 2023 neck was all on Ezeudu, you're right. It was his 6th sack that day. The other 2021 neck was on a running play. He still doesn't slide and when he runs, he's exposing himself if he doesn't give himself up.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 14, 2024, 07:47:22 PMLet's see how he does this year in the pocket.

Let's see how long he has in the pocket before he has to start running for his life.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Trench on May 15, 2024, 12:19:36 AMCan you please point out where any of that it says "it is ALL on Jones"??

If not, please don't put words in people's mouths. There is not a fan on this forum who believes everything is Jones fault.

Geez, it's called hyperbole.

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 15, 2024, 07:21:50 AMI for one am shocked that this OL which yielded a historic # of sacks last year is rated the worst in preseason.

Hopefully the FAs they added can bring enough to the table to help bring this group to at least middle of the road.

I'm shocked too, in the same sense that Police Captain Louis Renault was shocked that there was gambling going on at Rick's in Casablanca.

The key word in your 2nd para is "Hopefully" as there seems to be a lot of hope triumphing over experience.

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 15, 2024, 07:34:39 AMJackson can throw the ball downfield while scrambling and running or from the pocket and not get hurt to the point of losing a massive amount of time. 

That's a lot easier to do when you are playing behind a very good OL and not an historically bad OL.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/offensive-line-rankings-and-tiers-end-of-nfl-season-review-2024-offensive-line-outlook/

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 15, 2024, 01:43:32 PMLet's see how long he has in the pocket before he has to start running for his life.
And the beat goes on...
~ Coach Tom Coughlin