News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Carl Banks on the "Goofy Brigade" defaults to DJ

Started by MightyGiants, May 17, 2024, 12:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jimc on May 18, 2024, 10:13:44 AMI believe this is the crux of the issue. Being hyper critical of DJ can and should never be confused with supporting him. You may say being critical does not prevent you from rooting for him, but I disagree. I contend that most folks that are hyper critical are more likely to root against DJ in order to prove they are correct in their hyper critical analysis. 

hyper critical equals "shitting on"
hyper critical not equal to constructive criticism

By this logic then the same accusation can be made against fans who claim Jones is better than what he has been, except these fans are rooting for the offensive line to continue to do poorly.

I believe neither to be true. I firmly believe Giants fans want the team to win. Which means they want areas of weakness to improve or be improved upon, and if they don't they are likely to be critical. That doesn't mean these fans want bad things to happen - it's very much the opposite. There may be some dark corners out there where that is not the case, but there is no doubt in my mind that the vast, vast majority of fans of any team want their team to be good.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 18, 2024, 05:40:21 PMIf Jones is ready and healthy, he's the QB. No controversy. 

In week one, yes, 100%. In week eight or later, probably but not automatically.

You can have controversy about the QB position even if you don't want it. Fans and media members can effectively cause it. The same way they can get coaches fired. I'm not saying this will happen this year by the way. Just that it's not impossible.

Also having no bad vibes or controversy about the team in the centennial anniversary year is basically impossible if they're a bottom seven or eight team again. Having no QB controversy in a big anniversary season is nice and all, but who cares about any of that if the team is on its way to another 4 to 7 win season?

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 18, 2024, 05:51:54 PMIn week one, yes, 100%. In week eight or later, probably but not automatically.

You can have controversy about the QB position even if you don't want it. Fans and media members can effectively cause it. The same way they can get coaches fired. I'm not saying this will happen this year by the way. Just that it's not impossible.

Also having no bad vibes or controversy about the team in the centennial anniversary year is basically impossible if they're a bottom seven or eight team again. Having no QB controversy in a big anniversary season is nice and all, but who cares about any of that if the team is on its way to another 4 to 7 win season?
He has the Receivers, whether he has the Oline or not, its not his fault. According to almost everyone here besides us. So, unless he's not healthy, why would they pull him? To keep him healthy so they don't have to pay an injury clause? Admit they were wrong about him and not drafting a QB?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 18, 2024, 07:57:31 PMHe has the Receivers, whether he has the Oline or not, its not his fault. According to almost everyone here besides us. So, unless he's not healthy, why would they pull him? To keep him healthy so they don't have to pay an injury clause? Admit they were wrong about him and not drafting a QB?
That injury clauses is a very real concern for a guy that has played 16 games only once in his 5 seasons in the NFL.

41.5 million total for 2025

-23 million guaranteed if he can't pass a physical at the beginning of the year

-12 million guaranteed if he isn't cut by march

So if he is on the roster in March it'll cost us 42 million on the cap and if he is cut he could only cost 22 million, maybe even 11 if we spread the dead cap over 2 years.

So the difference in 30 million or 12% of our cap will be decided on whether or not Jones simply plays injury free, not whether he plays great or bad.