News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Here is a good picture of Flott to judge his size

Started by MightyGiants, May 22, 2024, 07:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 23, 2024, 06:10:34 PMFlott was 175 at the combine. So it sounds like he's essentially not any bigger now than two years ago.

I think it's safe to say he's not going to get much bigger.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Q. I know your goal is always to get a little bigger. That was one thing coming out. Have you made strides in that field?

COR'DALE FLOTT: I am at 177 right now. The goal is 180 obviously. But obviously to get comfortable in the weight. I don't want to gain weight and it be bad weight and be out of shape and not be able to move around. I feel good so far, continue to build with the weights staff.

Q. What were you when you came in?

COR'DALE FLOTT: What was I? I was like 174.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Big difference to me being a WR at 6'1" 177 vs a CB at that size.  WR receives violent hits but has tools such as ducking, twisting, going down to avoid sometimes the worst.

A CB has to initiate violence which means more direct straighline attack so his reduced mass is more of an issue.

uconnjack8

Am I crazy or is 180 not really small for a CB?

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 24, 2024, 01:30:50 PMAm I crazy or is 180 not really small for a CB?

CBs are usually in the 190-205 range

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 24, 2024, 01:30:50 PMAm I crazy or is 180 not really small for a CB?

It's his weight for his height.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on May 24, 2024, 01:49:42 PMIt's his weight for his height.

Float is 6' 1/2" so he should be in the range I listed
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Flott is skinny - no two ways about it. And given he has only gained 2-3 pounds in over two years now since the 2022 combine, it's reasonable to assume he's not going to get much bigger (maybe something like 180/182 is possible).

Being slight doesn't preclude him from being a respectable or even good player, but it is clearly not an advantage, either. We should keep in mind that it's not like we took this guy in the top 15 overall though. Mid third round is not typically where you find high-end starting corners. Maybe he's just a solid depth guy. If that's what he ends up being, I'd say that's not a bad outcome at all for a corner taken outside of the top 80 overall.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 24, 2024, 03:55:17 PMFlott is skinny - no two ways about it. And given he has only gained 2-3 pounds in over two years now since the 2022 combine, it's reasonable to assume he's not going to get much bigger (maybe something like 180/182 is possible).

Being slight doesn't preclude him from being a respectable or even good player, but it is clearly not an advantage, either. We should keep in mind that it's not like we took this guy in the top 15 overall though. Mid third round is not typically where you find high-end starting corners. Maybe he's just a solid depth guy. If that's what he ends up being, I'd say that's not a bad outcome at all for a corner taken outside of the top 80 overall.

What I think it affects is his ability to hold onto a jam or press long enough and also in his tackling having less mass.

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 24, 2024, 01:45:47 PMCBs are usually in the 190-205 range

So he is like 5-7 percent lighter than that? 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 25, 2024, 10:02:03 AMSo he is like 5-7 percent lighter than that? 

Seems like he's about 7% below the absolute dead bottom of that range, yes.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 25, 2024, 10:33:54 AMSeems like he's about 7% below the absolute dead bottom of that range, yes.

Dead bottom or lower end of average, say within a couple of standard deviations from the median?

Philosophers

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 25, 2024, 05:38:03 PMDead bottom or lower end of average, say within a couple of standard deviations from the median?

Think his weight for his height is more relevant than weight for his position.  Most CBs I think are not 6'1"+