News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Here is a good picture of Flott to judge his size

Started by MightyGiants, May 22, 2024, 07:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Who are the best NFL CBs in somewhat recent times (say the last 20 yrs) who were lighter than 180 lbs?

Can someone provide three or four recognizable names?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 25, 2024, 07:21:57 PMWho are the best NFL CBs in somewhat recent times (say the last 20 yrs) who were lighter than 180 lbs?

Can someone provide three or four recognizable names?

This article covers lightest current CBs

https://hortonbarbell.com/average-height-and-weight-of-an-nfl-cornerback/

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 26, 2024, 06:57:33 AMThis article covers lightest current CBs

https://hortonbarbell.com/average-height-and-weight-of-an-nfl-cornerback/

Looking at where almost 60% land, that would likely put Flott more than 2 standard deviations from the mean.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 26, 2024, 07:37:00 AMLooking at where almost 60% land, that would likely put Flott more than 2 standard deviations from the mean.

I went back and looked at various lists of the best CBs of the 2000s and 2010s. I couldn't find one below 185 and the vast majority were, as @MightyGiants noted earlier in the thread, somewhere in the 190-210 range.

There have clearly been CBs under 180 in the NFL and are now, but it's a small group, and, based on the moderate amount of backward looking I did, the group does not appear to include any who were distinctly above average.

I think the statement that size (including weight) matters much more for CBs than it does for WRs was a pretty accurate one based on the evidence.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 26, 2024, 07:57:48 AMI went back and looked at various lists of the best CBs of the 2000s and 2010s. I couldn't find one below 185 and the vast majority were, as @MightyGiants noted earlier in the thread, somewhere in the 190-210 range.

There have clearly been CBs under 180 in the NFL and are now, but it's a small group, and, based on the moderate amount of backward looking I did, the group does not appear to include any who were distinctly above average.

I think the statement that size (including weight) matters much more for CBs than it does for WRs was a pretty accurate one based on the evidence.

I was just watching Greg Cosell's video (I believe I posted it here this week), in which he discusses two ways to play press coverage. A CB can jam the receiver, or he can play up close and immediately mirror. At Flott's size, I would assume he will be pushing for the latter.   

I think where the size hurts more is in run support.

Here are Flott's PFF grades for his defensive efforts on 519 snaps

53.3 overall (he had a higher grade of 67.8 in 2022 on 338 snaps mostly driven by a higher coverage grade)

49.2 run defense

39.9 tackling

41.7 pass rush

59.4 coverage

QBs had a 95.6 rating when targeting Flott
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Flott is not going to wow in practice but he's a gamer. I don't remember if I've seen him make egregious errors or be called out by the announce team. He's kinda like J Love in that he doesn't do anything special but just a good ball player.