News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT--Secretariat Belmont 1973

Started by ELCHALJE, May 22, 2024, 12:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ELCHALJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCMtaNiMDM

Perhaps the greatest athletic performance ever.  "He's running like a tremendous machine."

LennG

Maybe the single greatest performance by a race horse EVER.

I never get tired of watching it.

=D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimc

It must have been amazing to see this event in person. Must have been electric!
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

uconnjack8

I bet whoever wins the Belmont this year beats that time by 20 seconds.

Rosehill Jimmy

Couldn't believe when I watched it live and still can't 50+ years later.  Goosebumps!
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

uconnjack8

Quote from: files58 on May 23, 2024, 11:24:27 AMRead somewhere recently that Flightline is in Secretariat's genetic line.
https://www.google.com/search?q=flightline+horse&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS925US925&oq=flightline&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgBEAAYgAQyDAgAEEUYORixAxiABDIHCAEQABiABDIQCAIQLhivARjHARiABBiOBTIHCAMQABiABDINCAQQLhivARjHARiABDINCAUQLhivARjHARiABDINCAYQLhivARjHARiABDINCAcQLhivARjHARiABDIHCAgQABiABDIHCAkQABiABNIBCDcxMjZqMGo3qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:cf405658,vid:5T7KHPvcHVw,st:496

Flightline is a son of Tapit.  Tapit is a son of Pulpit who is a son of AP Indy.  AP Indy sire was Seattle Slew and and Dam Sire was Secretariat.  Tapit has produced a number of successful offspring. 

Pretty good genetics to have Seattle Slew as your dad and Secretariat as the grandfather on your mother's side.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 23, 2024, 06:56:29 AMI bet whoever wins the Belmont this year beats that time by 20 seconds.

?  Sarcasm?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

uconnjack8

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 23, 2024, 01:28:51 PM?  Sarcasm?

No, just me being a jackass. The race is at Saratoga this year because Belmont is under construction.  The race is going to be 10 furlongs, not the usual 12 furlongs (which is what Secretariat ran). 

jimc

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 23, 2024, 06:56:29 AMI bet whoever wins the Belmont this year beats that time by 20 seconds.

Yeah because the Belmont Stakes is 1/4 mile shorter this year!!!!
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

files58

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 23, 2024, 01:24:36 PMFlightline is a son of Tapit.  Tapit is a son of Pulpit who is a son of AP Indy.  AP Indy sire was Seattle Slew and and Dam Sire was Secretariat.  Tapit has produced a number of successful offspring. 

Pretty good genetics to have Seattle Slew as your dad and Secretariat as the grandfather on your mother's side.

AP Indy was quite the horse. Santa Anita Derby, Peter Pan, Belmont Stakes, Breeders Cup Classic winner. 1992 Horse of the Year. Started life as a ridgeling(undescended testicle). Scratched morning of Kentuckey Derby due to sore foot. Neil Drysdale did a tremendous job getting him ready for Peter Pan/Belmont combo. Had a terrible Jockey Club Gold Cup, came back to win the Breeders.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 23, 2024, 01:30:58 PMNo, just me being a jackass. The race is at Saratoga this year because Belmont is under construction.  The race is going to be 10 furlongs, not the usual 12 furlongs (which is what Secretariat ran). 

I did not know that so I'm glad I asked.  No jackassery on your part as far as I'm concerned.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll