News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Devito takes a stand

Started by killarich, May 22, 2024, 05:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 23, 2024, 04:21:16 PMHe did very well at Syracuse and Illinois.....big time programs
By contrast Jones was a big time loser at small time Duke

Where are we here, in a hall of mirrors?  DeVito is better than the robotic Jones by a country mile

The delta is that Jones is now Mara's very expensive adopted sun

It seems the Giants will let DeVito float and lost to waivers....he will wind up in NE as the next Tom Brady  My prediction

Jones has been touched by the hand of Mara.

Hi,

Im sure you're a nice person and I mean you no harm by this, but you just predicted that Devito will be the next Tom Brady.

One of, if not the greatest QB of all time, are you sure you want to stand by this prediction?

DaveBrown74

So basically, if I understand this correctly, in about 15 years or so, one of the great sports debates in America is going to be who was the better NFL QB: Tommy DeVito or Tom Brady.

Is that indeed your position, BC?

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 23, 2024, 04:21:16 PMHe did very well at Syracuse and Illinois.....big time programs

Where are we here, in a hall of mirrors?  DeVito is better than the robotic Jones by a country mile

It seems the Giants will let DeVito float and lost to waivers....he will wind up in NE as the next Tom Brady   My prediction

I know things get confusing here but you have trashed Jones to me at least 7 times now, when if you read any other thread would know that I don't think Jones is a very good Qb.

With that being said there is absolutely no planet currently were Devito is better than Jones period.

Giant Obsession

It seems the Giants will let DeVito float and lost to waivers....he will wind up in NE as the next Tom Brady   My prediction

Much like Glynn Griffing and Bob Timberlake.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

MightyGiants

I really don't see DeVito's comments as news.  Despite the coaching rhetoric about draft status being meaningless, when a team spends valuable draft capital on a player, it gives that player more stature.  It's likely been that way since the NFL instituted the draft.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 22, 2024, 09:03:44 PMDevito played in the ACC and the Big10 conference, if he was a better qb he would have been drafted. After the 2022 draft teams were trying to find their Brock Purdy considering 66 qbs started in 2023 its understandable. Given all that Devito still wasn't drafted while 14 qbs were. If he had undeniable talent, he would have been found. We signed a guy from west Florida University, if there's talent they are found.

FYI Illinois and Syracuse aren't small programs, he had an opportunity most don't get so I have no sympathy.
No one drafted Victor Cruz either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Trench

Your love affair with Devito is worse than mine with Sills

But that is what makes it fun to be a fan. Staying loyal to what we believe to be true

BluesCruz

Quote from: sxdxca38 on May 23, 2024, 06:37:08 PMHi,

Im sure you're a nice person and I mean you no harm by this, but you just predicted that Devito will be the next Tom Brady.

One of, if not the greatest QB of all time, are you sure you want to stand by this prediction?

By that I meant the NE starter and bring them back to relevance
He has the intangibles that made Brady good and its between the ears, confidence etc
His arm is also grossly underrated

We have never had much luck with QBs    Some have been good, none dominant in a Brady, Montana type sense

We will find a way to fumble Tommy D away- just watch
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 26, 2024, 05:19:30 AMBy that I meant the NE starter and bring them back to relevance
He has the intangibles that made Brady good and its between the ears, confidence etc

We have never had much luck with QBs    Some have been good, none dominant in a Brady, Montana type sense

If that happens, it won't matter unless he has meaningful success elsewhere.

Keep in mind that a year ago the Giants were the only team in the NFL that was interested in him.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 26, 2024, 05:49:38 AMIf that happens, it won't matter unless he has meaningful success elsewhere.

Keep in mind that a year ago the Giants were the only team in the NFL that was interested in him.
Quote from: MightyGiants on May 24, 2024, 07:10:13 AMI really don't see DeVito's comments as news.  Despite the coaching rhetoric about draft status being meaningless, when a team spends valuable draft capital on a player, it gives that player more stature.  It's likely been that way since the NFL instituted the draft.
Quote from: MightyGiants on May 24, 2024, 07:10:13 AMI really don't see DeVito's comments as news.  Despite the coaching rhetoric about draft status being meaningless, when a team spends valuable draft capital on a player, it gives that player more stature.  It's likely been that way since the NFL instituted the draft.

Lets hope that does not happen.  Do you really want to hang your hat on Jones and Drew Lock?   Last year I believe DeVito pretty much ran the team in pre-season.  He started 6-7 more games during the season.   In that respect he is our most seasoned QB using 2023  data. 

He looks the part out there.  Jones looked tentative and lost before injury. He. basically could not move the team downfield.   I have no idea what Lock brings to the party.

There is definitely a bias towards tall, strong QBs- Tom Brady, Josh Allen, Eli Manning types.  That overlooks the fact Joe Montana, Drew Brees, Dan Marino, and Fran Tarkenton were not overly tall and populate the top 10 QBs of all time list.

In todays NFL you sink or swim with the QB.  I'd prefer to not sink because of tall man bias.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

kingm56

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 27, 2024, 07:37:18 AMDan Marino

Marino was 6'4"/230.  He was, in fact, a prototypical QB. Tarkenton was also considered above average for his era, as 6 feet/200 lbs wasn't small in the 60s.  Size clearly matters, hence the term prototype size.  Just consider the top 15 QBs of all-time, in term of passing yards; 13 of 15 had the ideal height to play QB.  You simply can't brush that off....

1   Tom Brady   89,214
2   Drew Brees   80,358
3   Peyton Manning   71,940
4   Brett Favre   71,838
5   Ben Roethlisberger   64,088
6   Philip Rivers   63,440
7   Matt Ryan   62,792
8   Dan Marino   61,361
9   AARON RODGERS   59,055
10   Eli Manning   57,023
11   MATTHEW STAFFORD   56,047
12   John Elway   51,475
13   Warren Moon   49,325
14   Fran Tarkenton   47,003
15   Carson Palmer   46,247

MightyGiants

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 27, 2024, 07:37:18 AMLets hope that does not happen.  Do you really want to hang your hat on Jones and Drew Lock?   Last year I believe DeVito pretty much ran the team in pre-season.  He started 6-7 more games during the season.   In that respect he is our most seasoned QB using 2023  data. 

He looks the part out there.  Jones looked tentative and lost before injury. He. basically could not move the team downfield.   I have no idea what Lock brings to the party.

There is definitely a bias towards tall, strong QBs- Tom Brady, Josh Allen, Eli Manning types.  That overlooks the fact Joe Montana, Drew Brees, Dan Marino, and Fran Tarkenton were not overly tall and populate the top 10 QBs of all time list.

In todays NFL you sink or swim with the QB.  I'd prefer to not sink because of tall man bias.

Last year, here was how the NYG QBs ranked (ignoring the return of Thomas and a general improvement of the O-line with Pugh in the line up) and the young WR getting better during the season)

Taylor 23rd with a 71.4 PFF grade

Jones 33rd with a 63.0 PFF grade

Devito 34th with a 62.0 PFF grade

Why are you putting all your faith in the QB who played the worst last season? 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

I have no issue with what he said. He knows where he is and has to prove himself every year. And he is right, we do put too much weight on where a player is drafted or how much a free agent was signed for. The investment has already been made in those players and there are guys in the front office and wearing headsets whose jobs are on the line if they are wrong (again) on that 3rd rounder.

That said, my family and I drove down to New Orleans last year and I had a chance to see Devito play live. He has a lot of work to do just to read and adjust to coverages. There were guys open all day on check downs and he never looked their way. He seemed to have made up his mind pre-snap where he was going with the ball. New Orleans would show him something, then take it away and DeVito was stuck. He needs to take the next step now or he and everyone else knows what comes next.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 27, 2024, 07:37:18 AMLets hope that does not happen.  Do you really want to hang your hat on Jones and Drew Lock?   Last year I believe DeVito pretty much ran the team in pre-season.  He started 6-7 more games during the season.   In that respect he is our most seasoned QB using 2023  data. 

Drew Lock smashed Devito in almost every single analytical measure last year.  Hence why we signed him.

sxdxca38

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 26, 2024, 05:19:30 AMBy that I meant the NE starter and bring them back to relevance

Once again I'm sure you're a nice person in real life, but let's think about this.

The reason why Tom Brady was able to start at QB was because Drew Bledsoe got injured. If Bledsoe never got injured, Brady never would have played.

If BB had started a 6th rd pick in Brady over Bledsoe in 2001 he would have been fired.

The same applies to Devito.

If Daboll and Schoen bench DJ for Devito, an undrafted player, and have him start the season and he fails it would be a fireable offense, and there is no way Daboll and Schoen would do that.