News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Thibs sings the praises of his new position coach

Started by MightyGiants, May 24, 2024, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Q. What in particular do you think are the next steps for you? I need to get better at this, this, this?

KAYVON THIBODEAUX: We talked about it. My coach, Charlie (Bullen), he's been cooking. I'm really happy to have him. I thank God I have him, to be honest. He's been very instrumental in the short period we've been together. Talk about accolades plus respect equals achievement to legacy. That's kind of what we've been talking about. Last year I was able to get 11 and a half sacks. Those are the accolades. Now it's about getting that respect throughout the league, having teams fear coming to play against us. Just taking everything I do to the next level as far as that extra. Greatness is optional. I just got to kind of take that next step.

Charlie Bullen spent the 2023 season as the Illinois football program's outside linebackers coach/pass rush coordinator. Bullen joined the Fighting Illini in January of 2023 with 11 years of NFL coaching experience, including four years with the Cardinals.

Bullen spent the 2020-2022 seasons as Arizona's outside linebackers coach after originally joining the staff as assistant linebackers coach. He also served seven years with the Miami Dolphins from 2012-2018, working with the linebackers and defensive line.

With the help of Bullen's outside linebacker group, the Cardinals ranked fifth in the NFL with 89 total sacks from 2020-2021. Of those, 50 came via the outside linebacker position. During that span, three Cardinals outside linebackers posted 10+ sacks: Markus Golden, Chandler Jones, and Haason Reddick.

Prior to working with the Dolphins, Bullen coached for three seasons (2009-2011) as a graduate assistant working with the defensive backs at his alma mater, the University of Iowa.

Charlie Bullen's Coaching Timeline:

2024-Current: Outside Linebackers Coach, New York Giants

2023: Illinois, Outside Linebackers Coach/Pass Rush Coordinator

2020-22: Arizona Cardinals, Outside Linebackers Coach

2019: Arizona Cardinals, Assistant Linebackers Coach

2016-18: Miami Dolphins, Assistant Linebackers Coach

2013-15: Miami Dolphins, Assistant Defensive Line Coach

2012: Miami Dolphins, Defensive Assistant

2009-11: Iowa, Graduate Assistant (Defensive Backs)

2007-08: Iowa, Student Assistant (Quarterbacks)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Q. You talk about Charlie, but also Andre Patterson is working with you guys. What is that like?

KAYVON THIBODEAUX: Dre is a legend. He's like Mr. Miyagi, Yoda, knows how it all works. Charlie comes in and, he's the young, the energy company. When you talk about the scheme, things like that, they've been working hand-in-hand. When you see how it's going to continue to unfold, I think last year the interior and the edge weren't cohesive. Now it's going to start to work like clockwork. That's the maturity. That's where I'm growing as a player and we're growing as a defense, being able to play as a unit.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE