News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does first down go digital?

Started by MightyGiants, May 25, 2024, 10:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

President Rick

now if baseball balls and strikes were only done that way.....
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

DaveBrown74

I wouldn't have an issue with this, provided it's definitely more accurate than human calls. I don't see a good argument for why sports should not use technology to make officiating more accurate. Why allow for human error when you don't have to? Tennis is way better now that they have the technological arbiter on close calls. What is worse than a team losing a game because of a wrong call that could have been avoided with the use of available technology?

Rosehill Jimmy

I'm guessing it still doesn't account for the correct spot
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on May 25, 2024, 12:33:26 PMI'm guessing it still doesn't account for the correct spot

That's what I am thinking, the official still needs to spot the ball.   I can't think of a current technology that could determine where the ball is when the runner is down.   The location of the ball is easy, it's their down part that is the challenge.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 25, 2024, 01:41:16 PMThat's what I am thinking, the official still needs to spot the ball.   I can't think of a current technology that could determine where the ball is when the runner is down.   The location of the ball is easy, it's their down part that is the challenge.
Put a chip in the ball and sensors on, around, or above the field.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on May 28, 2024, 09:42:39 AMPut a chip in the ball and sensors on, around, or above the field.

When will the sensor know when a runner's knee or other body part (other than feet or hands) touch the ground?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 28, 2024, 09:46:28 AMWhen will the sensor know when a runner's knee or other body part (other than feet or hands) touch the ground?
They won't. But just as they use different camera angles, they can use the video to determine when a body part touched the ground and then use the digital evidence to see where the ball should be placed.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 28, 2024, 09:46:28 AMWhen will the sensor know when a runner's knee or other body part (other than feet or hands) touch the ground?

I would imagine a hybrid system. Just spitballing: give the referees clickers--they click when the believe the runner was down, its time-stamped, and its fed to the tracking system which spits out what yard line the ball was on at the time of the click, reports in the referees ears, then they spot it.

Not perfect, obviously... as do you give them all clickers? What do you do then when multiple click--do you average the click time or something like that? Maybe put someone in a booth with every camera angle and all they do is the try to determine when the runner was down?

Certainly kinks to work out in any system. But my point is really that there are very likely some solutions and probably hybrid with some human input.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 25, 2024, 10:48:34 AMI wouldn't have an issue with this, provided it's definitely more accurate than human calls. I don't see a good argument for why sports should not use technology to make officiating more accurate. Why allow for human error when you don't have to? Tennis is way better now that they have the technological arbiter on close calls. What is worse than a team losing a game because of a wrong call that could have been avoided with the use of available technology?

Very true. It is currently in use in the Australian Football League (AFL) for scoring reviews. Still, I've witnessed it being used incorrectly which ended up screwing a scoring decision for a team which ultimately cost them a berth in their Finals (i.e. playoffs).

It has the potential to take the subjective out of the reviewing process as long as the process for using it has been made error-proof due to the introduction of human in the loop error of other variables. For first downs, that would mean discernment of "when" the whistle was blown to indicate forward progress was stopped. (Edited to add) In addition, I wanted to recognize all those here who offered other excellent examples which would require other technologies, such as video, or sensors implanted in the ball, or maybe even microphones to hear the referee's whistle!

Let's hope they figure that part out first before implementing it at large.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

jimc

I like the fallibility in games, gives us fans something to blame loses on.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone