News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Schoen's comments on the draft picks

Started by MightyGiants, May 27, 2024, 09:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Blah Blah Blah.  Hear the same $hit every year.  Tired of hearing same old every year.

Strong wins are the thing only that matter to me now as they prove strength.  Luck wins expose crap later.

londonblue

I agree on the give me wins sentiment Philosophers but I have to take issue on lucky v strong wins. I never played pro sports but I was a small cog in a talented team that won a national schools rugby title (my school's only one ever) here in UK. The team included 5 schoolboy internationals and two became adult internationals (1 England, 1 Ireland).

We squeaked a 15-12 win with a dismal performance in the round of 32 against a team we had beaten by 40 points earlier in the season. I stunk. Most of us did.

We were so down when we came off the field but our coach (a former England international) told us see it for the gift it was and to make the most of it by going on to win it all. We were 100% focused every game from them remembering our good fortune and won 4 consecutive games, the last 2 as the clear underdog, to win it all.

Sometimes the lucky wins create a platform for future stronger wins. We will see this season if the feeling and experience some of our younger guys got from those late season wins help them grow and compete better this year. I know it can happen. Not a given but no win is ever a waste in my opinion.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Jclayton92

I heard a good comp for Tracy Jr the other day, and it was Cordarelle Patterson. A RB2 that can give you 600 yards rushing, 200 yards receiving, and handle kickoff duties.

Jolly Blue Giant

Thanks for sharing, Rich. I've been away and have been frustrated from lack of Giants' leaders and media reports, so I love to see it
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

Philosophers

Quote from: londonblue on May 27, 2024, 05:59:53 PMI agree on the give me wins sentiment Philosophers but I have to take issue on lucky v strong wins. I never played pro sports but I was a small cog in a talented team that won a national schools rugby title (my school's only one ever) here in UK. The team included 5 schoolboy internationals and two became adult internationals (1 England, 1 Ireland).

We squeaked a 15-12 win with a dismal performance in the round of 32 against a team we had beaten by 40 points earlier in the season. I stunk. Most of us did.

We were so down when we came off the field but our coach (a former England international) told us see it for the gift it was and to make the most of it by going on to win it all. We were 100% focused every game from them remembering our good fortune and won 4 consecutive games, the last 2 as the clear underdog, to win it all.

Sometimes the lucky wins create a platform for future stronger wins. We will see this season if the feeling and experience some of our younger guys got from those late season wins help them grow and compete better this year. I know it can happen. Not a given but no win is ever a waste in my opinion.

You make a great point.  I do think those moments are rare though.  I like to say that wins against top opponents are huge and wins against subpar teams are expected.  Same with individual play/stats.

Look at Michigan this year.  They beat up some bad teams early and folks questioned how good they were.  It was a legitimate question.  It was not until they beat Ohio St. Alabama, Washington and others and players had huge performances in those top games that they won the respect of people.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 27, 2024, 07:06:35 PMThanks for sharing, Rich. I've been away and have been frustrated from lack of Giants' leaders and media reports, so I love to see it

I thought Schoen was pretty candid in his comments.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE