News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

33rd team lists Malik Nabers as one of the immediate impactful rookies

Started by MightyGiants, May 29, 2024, 07:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

MALIK NABERS, WR, NEW YORK GIANTS (SIXTH OVERALL)
During his podium availability at the combine, Malik Nabers made it clear what the New York Giants thought of him.

An Odell Beckham Jr. replacement would be great, but the Giants just need a receiver who can be the top target and explosive option in a passing game. Despite the team trying multiple avenues to get there, the answer has been Darius Slayton year after year. Nabers should be the top option in this passing game.

Nabers gives the Giants the type of receiver who, like peak-Beckham, can create a big play from anywhere on the field. He can take a slant to the house or use his speed to win deep down the field.

Nabers can fit whichever version of the Giants offense they want to run. When Brian Daboll got the most out of Daniel Jones during the 2022 run to the playoffs, it was an offense designed around getting the quarterback out of the pocket and creating yards after the catch on the shortest throws in the league, on average. Nabers can eat up space as he averaged 7.0 yards after the catch per reception last season, per SIS, and his 0.35 broken tackles per reception were the second-most in this draft class.

If the Giants want to go back to a more traditional offense, say if Drew Lock becomes the starter, Nabers has the downfield acumen to be a top-tier deep threat to go along with Slayton and Jalin Hyatt.

Nabers spent half of his snaps in the slot last season, which continues a trend of the Giants loading up on slot-first players. However, Nabers' 78th-percentile success rate against press coverage, per Reception Perception, makes a good case that he can live — and thrive — on the outside.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/nfl-rookies-in-best-position-for-immediate-success-in-2024/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I dont want the Giants to go back to the 2022 offensive passing style. Get me some Kevin Gilbride.

katkavage

Drafted 6 overall with very high pre draft rankings. If he isn't an impactful rookie the Giants are in trouble.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on May 29, 2024, 09:35:34 AMDrafted 6 overall with very high pre draft rankings. If he isn't an impactful rookie the Giants are in trouble.

I am mindful that 2 years ago, the Giants drafted Thibs 5th and Neal 7th.   I wouldn't call either impactful, to date.  So 6th is no guarantee.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Can they just fix the damn offensive line first, so the QB can actually have more than 0.3 seconds to look downfield to find their new impact WR? Then, maybe, we can evaluate from there?

Also, with the Sardine Can Turf Monster, no WR, or any player, for that matter, is safe. So, before talking impact, we should probably pray he can survive unscathed first.

I may sound silly, but the injury history remains very much a concerning variable with this organization until the data trends show a correlation between the corrective/preventive actions taken vs. improvement. We don't want to see this young man go down in flames prematurely.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on May 29, 2024, 11:20:03 AMCan they just fix the damn offensive line first, so the QB can actually have more than 0.3 seconds to look downfield to find their new impact WR? Then, maybe, we can evaluate from there?

Also, with the Sardine Can Turf Monster, no WR, or any player, for that matter, is safe. So, before talking impact, we should probably pray he can survive unscathed first.

I may sound silly, but the injury history remains very much a concerning variable with this organization until the data trends show a correlation between the corrective/preventive actions taken vs. improvement. We don't want to see this young man go down in flames prematurely.

Peace!

They did replace the turf last offseason.  This is supposedly the turf that the players and all involved settled on (outside of natural grass being the player's first choice).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 29, 2024, 09:43:51 AMI am mindful that 2 years ago, the Giants drafted Thibs 5th and Neal 7th.   I wouldn't call either impactful, to date.  So 6th is no guarantee.
No there are no guarantees. But projecting him to have an immediate impact as of today is an easy call. I repeat, if he doesn't have an impact the Giants are in trouble.

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 29, 2024, 11:22:55 AMThey did replace the turf last offseason.  This is supposedly the turf that the players and all involved settled on (outside of natural grass being the player's first choice).

You are correct, indeed. Still, despite the new turf, the opinion of it, and the stadium itself, hasn't changed based on the those who have been injured there:

New Yorks MetLife, the cursed NFL stadium

I don't want to sidetrack from the main point of this thread. My intention was only to express concern for the history he will be delving into and the hopes the Giants' organization are truly taking the necessary steps to mitigate injuries on the field which have a direct cause for their seasons ending up in the ditch.

I hope he turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to Daniel Jones.

Peace! 

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)