News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If nothing else, the Giants will be a lot more fun to watch this year.

Started by DaveBrown74, June 01, 2024, 06:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 01, 2024, 11:49:38 AMMy contention was that they'll be a lot more fun to watch this year than last year, for the reasons listed. That is a bit different from saying this season will be fun.

You know I want to be optimistic, just like yourself, and others here. But I'm going to sit back, take a deep breath and "let's see what they've got and what they're doing with them" approach.

The O-Line has been worse than a disappointment in recent years. It's made the team almost unwatchable, at times. No matter how many fresh faces they have, they won't be fun to watch if the line gets blown up every play. That's why I've prefaced it with I truly hope they've fixed the O-Line. If they haven't, and they go through the same thing as last season, they won't be fun to watch, nor any element, except for the Scottish Hammer, perhaps, will be anything resembling fun.

I don't want to be a killjoy here; far from it, but the O-Line and the injury bug remain the top two areas of concern until they're proven they've been mitigated. Once the balanced scorecard shows green for consecutive months during the season for the Lost Man-Games Due To  Injury metric, and we witness Carmen Bricillo's work in action, I'll feel more inclined to be merry-making regarding the Giants' chances. But, for now, I hope for only the best while I cautiously observe the areas of concern and see how they go about it.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

jimc

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 01, 2024, 06:42:54 AMAt least, that is my opinion anyway, and I feel that way about both our offense and defense.

Offensively, adding in Nabers will give us that electrifying, explosive pass catching threat this team hasn't had since Beckham in his first few years prior to his injuries and decline. No matter what you think of our QB room, this guy is going to be thrilling to watch.

I also think some of our other receiving talent like Robinson and Hyatt will be "unlocked" to some degree due to this guy being on the field. Expect to see both of them dazzle at times and take noteworthy steps forward this season.

Meanwhile it will be interesting to watch some of other young guys, particularly Tyrone Tracy and Theo Johnson. Both have potential to flash as rookies.

And then defensively, one thing I know is that when you have a menacing pass rush, things happen on D. Adding a stud like Burns to play opposite the ascending Thibodeaux, with Dex in the middle and with Okereke right behind them will give us a scary front that should be incredibly fun to watch.

Don't get me wrong - I think this team still has significant talent and depth deficiencies at a number of positions and is a ways away from being a true contender, but I am pretty confident that they will be more fun to watch this year, and there is something to be said for that.

I equate "fun to watch" with arrow pointing up mixed with the exuberance of football preseason.  I'm on board.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 01, 2024, 07:40:00 AMWe haven't had a "fun" player to watch since Barkley's younger and healthier days when we would be treated to the occasional homerun rush (or catch).

I hope you're right (I suspect you are).  This team will hopefully be more fun to watch this season.

Kinda get where you're coming from but it's a lot fun to watch Big Dex wreck interior lineman.

DaveBrown74

I just want to be clear, because I'm not sure everyone here understands the thrust of my OP given some of the posts I'm reading.

"Going to be more fun to watch (than last year)" does not mean "going to win." To be clear, I think the Giants will likely be a losing team again this year. And I appreciate that watching your team have a losing season is not fun. I never meant to imply that.

My belief is simply that they'll be more entertaining this year than last year, when they were pretty miserable to watch, even in the small handful of games they won. It was all dink and dunk and just miserably boring and largely ineffective offense with minimal teeth on defense.

I still think the team has major issues (or at best question marks) at QB, on the O line, in the secondary, in the RB room, with proven wide receiver and tight end talent, with their ability to stay healthy, and just with depth in general up and down the roster. It's very likely the team will be below .500, and it's possible we could be picking in the top five again.

At least they have some young players with legit talent though, some of whom could be dazzling at tims to watch. That is all I was saying. I don't really think we had that last year.

Philosophers

More time to throw means more time for WRs to run down the field or for them to run and spread out down the field making it harder for teams to cover and opening up running game.  That would be extremely entertaining and fun to watch given our WRs.

What do we need to make that happen?  OL!!!