News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If nothing else, the Giants will be a lot more fun to watch this year.

Started by DaveBrown74, June 01, 2024, 06:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

At least, that is my opinion anyway, and I feel that way about both our offense and defense.

Offensively, adding in Nabers will give us that electrifying, explosive pass catching threat this team hasn't had since Beckham in his first few years prior to his injuries and decline. No matter what you think of our QB room, this guy is going to be thrilling to watch.

I also think some of our other receiving talent like Robinson and Hyatt will be "unlocked" to some degree due to this guy being on the field. Expect to see both of them dazzle at times and take noteworthy steps forward this season.

Meanwhile it will be interesting to watch some of other young guys, particularly Tyrone Tracy and Theo Johnson. Both have potential to flash as rookies.

And then defensively, one thing I know is that when you have a menacing pass rush, things happen on D. Adding a stud like Burns to play opposite the ascending Thibodeaux, with Dex in the middle and with Okereke right behind them will give us a scary front that should be incredibly fun to watch.

Don't get me wrong - I think this team still has significant talent and depth deficiencies at a number of positions and is a ways away from being a true contender, but I am pretty confident that they will be more fun to watch this year, and there is something to be said for that.

bamagiantfan

I hope you are right. The younger players from the last two drafts are going to play. That usually makes it interesting.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

We haven't had a "fun" player to watch since Barkley's younger and healthier days when we would be treated to the occasional homerun rush (or catch).

I hope you're right (I suspect you are).  This team will hopefully be more fun to watch this season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

I hope the OL additions including the coach, will allow those offensive weapons to flash.

kartanoman

I like your optimism, but they'll only be fun if:

1. They've fixed the damned offensive line, and

2. The Sardine Can Turf Monster doesn't eat them up

Perhaps, one more.

They've closed the gap on their division rivals. If they haven't done this, the season won't be anywhere near as fun, even if they can beat the other teams.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kartanoman on June 01, 2024, 11:46:23 AMI like your optimism, but they'll only be fun if:

1. They've fixed the damned offensive line, and

2. The Sardine Can Turf Monster doesn't eat them up

Perhaps, one more.

They've closed the gap on their division rivals. If they haven't done this, the season won't be anywhere near as fun, even if they can beat the other teams.

Peace!

My contention was that they'll be a lot more fun to watch this year than last year, for the reasons listed. That is a bit different from saying this season will be fun.

Philosophers

If it's 2nd week of August and Giants still have not identified their starting 5 OL and are not giving the same 5 a ton of reps at each practice, Giants will be 8-9 or worse.  Giants OL will bring down the entire season.

Jolly Blue Giant

I don't expect this team to make it to the playoffs this year (considering our division), but they should be fun to watch. Hopefully, they use this year to get a lot of field time for our younger players. Development, development, development!
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

BluesCruz

I agree Dave.  The roster is maturing.

Also we won't be as predictable with the new RB rotation.  The Oline certainly won't be worse and it was coming on late last season

I think we could land anywhere from 7-9 to 11-5.  This is the best team Schoen and company has given us on paper to date without a doubt
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Philosophers

I see no reason to be optimistic about the OL at this point.  They've had a revolving door of OL coaches, lots of draft picks, etc and it has failed to produce an average OL much less a good one.  Until they succeed, I won't believe it.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on June 01, 2024, 01:40:33 PMI see no reason to be optimistic about the OL at this point.  They've had a revolving door of OL coaches, lots of draft picks, etc and it has failed to produce an average OL much less a good one.  Until they succeed, I won't believe it.

I fully expect the O line to improve this year. We have brought in multiple established veteran O linemen who have been solid for other teams. Our new O line coach ran a solid unit at another team. If our line doesn't at least improve to being mediocre this year, I will start to wonder if their seeming ineptitude is for other reasons.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 01, 2024, 01:49:56 PMI fully expect the O line to improve this year. We have brought in multiple established veteran O linemen who have been solid for other teams. Our new O line coach ran a solid unit at another team. If our line doesn't at least improve to being mediocre this year, I will start to wonder if their seeming ineptitude is for other reasons.

I am already wondering that.  Wrong player for blocking scheme?  Player out of position or on wrong side of OL?

I simply dont know

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on June 01, 2024, 02:09:43 PMI am already wondering that.  Wrong player for blocking scheme?  Player out of position or on wrong side of OL?

I simply dont know

I don't either. But let's hope it's not even something we have to contemplate.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 01, 2024, 01:49:56 PMI fully expect the O line to improve this year. We have brought in multiple established veteran O linemen who have been solid for other teams. Our new O line coach ran a solid unit at another team. If our line doesn't at least improve to being mediocre this year, I will start to wonder if their seeming ineptitude is for other reasons.
Agreed. If the veteran OL they signed play worse, that will say a lot about the organization's ability to field a quality OL.