News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What Evan Neal needs to fix

Started by MightyGiants, June 04, 2024, 10:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

The RT position is not subject to a competition. Schoen brought in a Guard/Tackle in Elumenor but he's penciled in at Guard. Daboll, Bricillo and Kafka must be in complete agreement that Evan Neal is worth the risk in turning his career around. The decision has an impact on the future of Daniel Jones as well as the effectiveness in the weapons brought in to support Jones.

Fans will have their opinions and in some cases in contrast to the professionals, we can be correct in our assumptions.

I'm somewhat surprised that Elumenor isn't competing for that RT spot but apparently, they believe its more important to improve the Guard positions and support JMS. Just as surprising is Elumenor spending most of his time at LG instead of the right side. That of course is not in stone.

The Swing Tackle job is Ezeudu's to lose. I always saw him as a Tackle and not a Guard. He was a mixed bag after no training at the position because Peart was a camp favorite. All things considered, he is worth the investment. His versatility is desirable. Ezeudu and Elumenor are both listed as OL in generalization.

There has been no mention of Phillips who went on IR last season after coming back and solidifying that RT position. They never resigned him.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on June 05, 2024, 08:59:29 AMThis wasn't a Gettleman going rogue and picking Jones a full round earlier than anybody else would have picked him.  Neal was widely considered by just about every scouting report you can find to either be 1 or 1B when it came to OL prospects.  I'm no expert but everything I could see myself looked like a sure fire stud.  And the NFL is a step up from every conference in college but he did come from the SEC so he did routinely play against NFL talent across from him during his time there.

This case sure is perplexing to me.  And I think the biggest issue that he needs to fix is the mental part of it.  He has shown a complete lack of fundamentals since getting to the Giants.  He also hasn't been helped much by his OL coach.  But all that being said he's been an outright disaster for whatever the reason.  I think we're at the point where they have to at least take a look at him as a guard and see what happens. I don't think we need to keep beating our heads against this particular wall to make him play RT simply because he was drafted to do so. If this new OL coach thinks there's something there so be it...he just better be right.

One thing I was taught about scouting offensive linemen is that you don't want to see them on the ground. Many of those glowing reports also mentioned that they noticed Neal on the ground more often than one would like. An important aspect of an offensive lineman is balance. If they are on the ground a lot, that is an indicator of possible balance issues.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Evan Neal reminds me of my golf swing.  I spend so much time thinking about components of my swing that it breaks down constantly somewhere in my swing.  I never trust it completely and just swing.  I think he may be the same - focused in balance but being slow, focused in lateral quickness but being too high, etc.

todge

Quote from: Gmo11 on June 05, 2024, 08:59:29 AMThis wasn't a Gettleman going rogue and picking Jones a full round earlier than anybody else would have picked him.  Neal was widely considered by just about every scouting report you can find to either be 1 or 1B when it came to OL prospects.  I'm no expert but everything I could see myself looked like a sure fire stud.  And the NFL is a step up from every conference in college but he did come from the SEC so he did routinely play against NFL talent across from him during his time there.

This case sure is perplexing to me.  And I think the biggest issue that he needs to fix is the mental part of it.  He has shown a complete lack of fundamentals since getting to the Giants.  He also hasn't been helped much by his OL coach.  But all that being said he's been an outright disaster for whatever the reason.  I think we're at the point where they have to at least take a look at him as a guard and see what happens. I don't think we need to keep beating our heads against this particular wall to make him play RT simply because he was drafted to do so. If this new OL coach thinks there's something there so be it...he just better be right.
Agree on the Neal take. But I realize it's off topic, but your comment "This isn't a Gettleman going rogue and picking Jones a full round earlier than anybody else would have picked him" is an inaccurate statement.

If you followed the Draft closely by listening to Mel Kiper every Sat on his ESPN Radio Show, watching Path to the Draft every evening and logging onto various Draft websites, you would have learned that Jones was widely considered a 1st Round Draft choice. Jones was MVP of the Senior Bowl and dominant in practices during the week. Jones also lit up the Combine with his athleticism and arm talent. Kiper stated that many GMs he spoke with had Jones going top quarter of the Draft. Kiper mocked him to the Giants well ahead of the Draft. After the Draft, Phil Simms told a WFAN Radio audience on the Boomer Esiason Show that he knew of four teams that were poised to take Jones from 7-10 if not selected by the Giants.

Because of his mediocre stats with a talentless Duke team, Jones flew under the radar with fanbases and the media. But as Kiper said, he was well known to NFL Front Offices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Blue Giant

What Evan Neal needs to fix

He needs his confidence restored and a healthy body. Needs to learn to play lighter on his feet when mirroring pass rushers, or switching to being a bully when opening a running lane. Personally, I think he's going to be just fine
At least, I sure hope I'm right  :knockONwood:
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above