News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Sterling Shepard signs with the Bucs

Started by MightyGiants, June 06, 2024, 11:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 06, 2024, 11:27:09 AMhttps://x.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1798737572442886393

We will see how he does - it will be another barometer if he was indeed washed up - or did "other" factors come into play regarding his diminished production.

ozzie

Easy to root for Shep. Best of luck to him, I hope he has a great year!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

JosinaAnderson
@JosinaAnderson
Just got off the the phone with new #Bucs WR Sterling Shepard who's astounded by sudden change of events:

"It's hard not to smile right now. I wasn't expecting this. Three days ago Baker (Mayfield) texted me asking 'how does your body feel?' I said, 'I feel great. How's the baby?' Baker said, 'The baby is good.' Then Baker asked me, 'man, you think you got one more in you?' I said, 'it just has to be right with everything I've got going on with my family because I've already turned done other opportunities. But I've been kind of thinking about it when I run outside everyday and lift. Plus, when I golf with Saquon (Barkley) he's been telling me I need to quit playing around because I still got it.' Then Baker said, 'well have your agent reach out because I know they threw your name out around here the other day.'"

Shepard told me, "so my agent hit them up. The Bucs wanted me to fly out the next day. Jo, I strapped my cleats on and hit that workout like I've been running routes all my life. The rest is history." Shepard added, "I'm so happy right now. I get to be with my brother again. Before this, I was in full daddy mode, but we got the contract done and now I'll get back in Tampa Sunday for mandatory camp on Monday; but me and OBJ are going to get together and train for a couple days too." Shepard went on to say to me, "this is so crazy man, my whole mode just changed 180."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

H-Town G-Fan

LennG

Best of luck to him. He is a class guy who IMHO never really reached his potential because of injuries.

Hope he has a great year.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

It's sort of funny how a player's draft position impacts our views of him.  I think by most metrics, Sterling Shepard and Saquan Barkley both conducted themselves well as Giants.  They both departed the team after a stretch and injuries limited both player's contributions.   Yet there seems to be more animosity (or maybe a lack of love) toward Barkley overall than Shepard.  Is it because Barkley was a 2nd overall pick while Shep was a second-rounder?  Am I misreading things, and the Barkley issues have more to do with Barkley signing with the Eagles, where Shep is headed to a team that really isn't a traditional rival of the Giants?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 06, 2024, 03:37:18 PMIt's sort of funny how a player's draft position impacts our views of him.  I think by most metrics, Sterling Shepard and Saquan Barkley both conducted themselves well as Giants.  They both departed the team after a stretch and injuries limited both player's contributions.   Yet there seems to be more animosity (or maybe a lack of love) toward Barkley overall than Shepard.  Is it because Barkley was a 2nd overall pick while Shep was a second-rounder?  Am I misreading things, and the Barkley issues have more to do with Barkley signing with the Eagles, where Shep is headed to a team that really isn't a traditional rival of the Giants?

It's an interesting point. I think it comes down to production of the relative draft position. Arguable Barkley didn't hit the heights of a 2nd overall and Shep did for a second rounder.

But I don't think it's inconsistent that the lack of Shep excelling can be down to injuries where as Barkley doesn't get the same benefit (cf O-Line woes that QBs benefit from but SB doesn't).

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 06, 2024, 03:37:18 PMIt's sort of funny how a player's draft position impacts our views of him.  I think by most metrics, Sterling Shepard and Saquan Barkley both conducted themselves well as Giants.  They both departed the team after a stretch and injuries limited both player's contributions.   Yet there seems to be more animosity (or maybe a lack of love) toward Barkley overall than Shepard.  Is it because Barkley was a 2nd overall pick while Shep was a second-rounder?  Am I misreading things, and the Barkley issues have more to do with Barkley signing with the Eagles, where Shep is headed to a team that really isn't a traditional rival of the Giants?

It really depends who you ask.

If you were to ask me, directly, it was an enjoyment to watch both during their time with the Football Giants and, in spite of their injuries hampering their full potential, they brought excitement and enjoyment on Sundays even though the teams they played on often struggled.

They now have opportunities to hit the reset button and set new goals for themselves in new environments. As players, I'll continue to pull for the Giants but acknowledge they once were part of the Big Blue, despite the foreign garb they now wear. As people, they are human beings, no different than you or I, and my hope is well intentions in their pursuit of their goals and dreams.

There is no animosity as it was their time to move on. So, too, will the Giants as must we.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)