News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT--80 years ago D-Day

Started by LennG, June 06, 2024, 03:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Today marks the 80th anniversary of the greatest invasion in American history, D-Day June 6th 1944.

There are sadly, very few survivors of that day that are around today, so it is up to all of us to never let this date fade into something we forget about in future years.

https://en.normandie-tourisme.fr/highlight/80th-anniversary-of-d-day/

Today, especially, take a minute of your time and thank a veteran for their service.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

As some know I cruise a great deal. Many years ago, I met a man on a ship who was about 90 years old and had an old Army cap on. He was wheeled around by his grandson. I got a chance to chat with him. He told me he was in the Army and had 3 weeks left on his enlistment when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. He was now in for the duration. He ended up being in the second wave on that day in Normandy. The way he told it, the beach was already secured when he landed, but there were still many pockets of Germans still firing at the troops. Again, he simply dismissed that it was dangerous, as many who were there also did. But talking with this veteran was fascinating, truly living history right there in front of me. A man I will never forget.

Charlie Weiss

kartanoman

Thank you for starting this thread, Lenn, and for sharing your interaction with the Army Veteran in the wheelchair. It was the pride of following the example of Duty, Honor, Country that he, his peers and leaders of the day, and veterans like yourself, which inspired me to serve and do so with that same pride.

D-Day was the game-changer in World War II which turned the tide against the Germans and set them on their eventual fate. Still, it would not have been possible had it not been for the courage of the Allied Troops. They remain heroes in the purest sense of the word.

The late President and General of the Army Eisenhower's Library contains several important documents from D-Day: The Invasion of Normandy. Below is a link to these documents which I found fascinating and some most interesting given his planning in case the invasion wasn't a success.

D-Day Online Documents - Eisenhower Library

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Philosophers

Nothing makes me sadder than realizing today's younger generations do not even know what it is and worse is supporting ideas that these men died fighting against.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dumpster Dan

Thats my grandson Daniel F Kervick at the gravesite of my first cousin Sgt Kyran Kervick   killed in FRance

Dumpster Dan

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on June 07, 2024, 10:24:04 AMThats my grandson Daniel F Kervick at the gravesite of my first cousin Sgt Kyran Kervick   killed in FRance

Dumpster Dan

How old was your cousin?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dumpster Dan

He was 21   8 years older than me

Dumpster Dan

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on June 07, 2024, 11:53:27 AMHe was 21   8 years older than me

Dumpster Dan

Way too young to have to make that sacrifice
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dumpster Dan

I never knew him==never met his family until several years later as we found them through our genealogical research

His family has the last letter he wrote

In it he says that   ------they told us that about 80% of us may not return, maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones in the 20%.

Ends it with  " I love you all""

Think of that people--these American heroes knew the odds and still took it on

"Where have all the soldiers gone?  Long time passing"

Thanks for allowing me to express some thoughts

Dumpster Dan

Painter

80 years ago, the American people proved our value and worth in defense of freedom and liberty. Less than 10 years later, nuclear weapons and what has become known as MAD, put an end to any future Great Crusade, and the heroism of the "silent generation". Since then, we have stumbled, bumbled, and fumbled, and generally failed to curb those among us who share the same evil intention of our enemies of 80 years ago. And indeed, as Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us" Or at least one of us, and we do know who that sonofabitch is.   

squibber

I don't know anything about military tactics so maybe someone can answer my question.  Thousands of US soldiers died on D-Day. I always wondered if there was another way to get US troops into France with fewer casualties. With hundreds of miles of French coastline was there a less deadly spot? Did the Germans cover the whole coastline? Were they tracking our ships?