News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jalin Hyatt - "We have a playoff team"

Started by sxdxca38, June 06, 2024, 10:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

This is his quote from today.

"We have a playoff team, and that's what we want to do, and that's our focus. We're going to get there." — Jalin Hyatt

With Nabers, Robinson, and Hyatt at WR.

Burns, Lawrence, and Thibodeaux on the D line.

Do you agree with his statement? or not really?

Just curious?

I'll tell you my thoughts later.

Link down below, quote at the bottom of the page.

LINK

DaveBrown74

It's great that he's enthusiastic, but no, I don't.

The Giants are not there yet. They have added some exciting new players, but they also lost some very good ones. There are still major question marks on this team at very important positions, they lack depth, and they cannot seem to stay healthy (an annual occurrence).

They were one of the worst teams in the league last year. I think it's pretty unlikely that they turn that completely around in a single season.

ralphpal1

It depends on D Jones
We went to the playoffs 2 years ago.so why not again
Also if we.switch our QB with other QBs would you think we would
We are

Philosophers

If DJ plays better and the OL plays much better then yes.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 06, 2024, 10:50:26 PMIt's great that he's enthusiastic, but no, I don't.

The Giants are not there yet. They have added some exciting new players, but they also lost some very good ones. There are still major question marks on this team at very important positions, they lack depth, and they cannot seem to stay healthy (an annual occurrence).

They were one of the worst teams in the league last year. I think it's pretty unlikely that they turn that completely around in a single season.

Jeff,

I think the odds say your view is likely correct.  I will say, though, that I consider a playoff team as this year's ceiling (similar to Daboll's first season).   If many of the question marks end up positive there is talent on this team.   Take Hyatt; if he reaches the potential many thought he had when he was drafted by the Giants in the third round, that would be a devastating duo when teamed with Nabers. 

Burns and Thibs have the potential to be equally devastating as the starting edge rushers. There are potentially enough pieces for the Giants' secondary to be solid as well. The same can be said of the RB and TE rooms.

I think much of the season may hinge on the O-line and how effective it can be with the infusion of veterans and led by new coaches.

That leaves the major wild card at QB, but we have seen Jones lead this team to the playoffs before, so I don't think it's impossible that he could do it again (or perhaps Lock lives up to his talent levels)

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sxdxca38

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 07, 2024, 07:14:57 AMJeff,

I think the odds say your view is likely correct.  I will say, though, that I consider a playoff team as this year's ceiling (similar to Daboll's first season).   If many of the question marks end up positive there is talent on this team.   Take Hyatt; if he reaches the potential many thought he had when he was drafted by the Giants in the third round, that would be a devastating duo when teamed with Nabers. 

Burns and Thibs have the potential to be equally devastating as the starting edge rushers. There are potentially enough pieces for the Giants' secondary to be solid as well. The same can be said of the RB and TE rooms.

I think much of the season may hinge on the O-line and how effective it can be with the infusion of veterans and led by new coaches.

That leaves the major wild card at QB, but we have seen Jones lead this team to the playoffs before, so I don't think it's impossible that he could do it again (or perhaps Lock lives up to his talent levels)

So here are my thoughts.

I pretty much agree with Mighty here.

I believe Nabers will emerge as an elite WR, and the strength of the offense will be the three WR's who will carry the team offensively.

Defensively, Thibodeaux, Lawrence, and Burns form an elite defensive line, and they are the strength of the defense.

LB Okereke is solid, and the DB's led by Banks, may surprise us and become an excellent secondary.

I personally am agreeing with Hyatt here.

I believe the Giants will make the playoffs this year.

I'm seeing a bounce back year for Daniel Jones, mainly because he has an unbelievable talent in Nabers, combined with Hyatt emerging, and Robinson staying healthy, O line is key though.

I also believe they take it to the Eagles this year, and at least beat them one time.

I'm not so sure they will have the same success against the Cowboys just yet though, but time will tell.

I see them winning nine to ten games and squeaking in as a wild card team.

And once there in, anything can happen.

ozzie

Everyone's a playoff team in June. Lets see some wins.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Ed Vette

First of all, I like this kid. He's got a nice personality, he's positive and he believes in himself and the team. I do believe he will have a breakout year and this Receiver Corp has the potential to be among the best in the League.

I also believe we will see significant improvement in the Oline play, whether Evan Neal improves or if he is replaced.

I have always maintained that Jones can be a very good Regular season QB and he can put up solid stats that are better than Eli did. He can get them to the playoffs. I just haven't seen that specialness that's required to beat the better teams in the league. He has a lot to prove after 5 seasons and so does Drew Lock. Can they win in crunch time? Remains to be seen.

The Secondary is an if. So is the interior D-Line, except for Lawrence. It's a new system and although I see more interceptions, there may be some confusion in the short to intermediate coverage.

I do think they can secure a wildcard spot. We have to see how they play and the momentum they have at the end of the season, to determine how far they can go. 

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

I would hope players wouldn't say anything different at this point.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 07, 2024, 09:09:37 AMFirst of all, I like this kid. He's got a nice personality, he's positive and he believes in himself and the team. I do believe he will have a breakout year and this Receiver Corp has the potential to be among the best in the League.

I also believe we will see significant improvement in the Oline play, whether Evan Neal improves or if he is replaced.

I have always maintained that Jones can be a very good Regular season QB and he can put up solid stats that are better than Eli did. He can get them to the playoffs. I just haven't seen that specialness that's required to beat the better teams in the league. He has a lot to prove after 5 seasons and so does Drew Lock. Can they win in crunch time? Remains to be seen.

The Secondary is an if. So is the interior D-Line, except for Lawrence. It's a new system and although I see more interceptions, there may be some confusion in the short to intermediate coverage.

I do think they can secure a wildcard spot. We have to see how they play and the momentum they have at the end of the season, to determine how far they can go. 

Ed,

I pretty much agree with everything you said here, nicely done.

Gmo11

They do have a playoff TEAM but they don't have a playoff QB.  Unless of course they happen to play an historically terrible defense in the playoffs again which seems unlikely.  But they are close.  Granted that last piece of the puzzle is probably the hardest to find but with that piece I do think they are a playoff caliber team overall.  Without that piece they are probably not.

kingm56

There's a difference between making the playoffs and being considered a "playoff team." While it's possible for the Giants to accomplish the former, they're not close to the latter. Considering the current playoff format, 14 of 32 (44%) teams make the playoffs; by definition, slightly above average teams have a chance to compete for a championship. In today's NFL, a very average team could make the playoffs if they play in a weak division and get a few lucky breaks, similar to our 2022 Giants.  However, did anyone believe that team had a chance to compete with the actual playoff teams (e.g. Phili, KC, Buff, etc)? In 2023, the same was true for the Bucs, Browns, Texan, and Steelers; each team made the playoffs, but lacked the firepower to actually beat the NFL elites.

The same paradigm exist today; while the Giants have improved their overall talent, they still lack the firepower to compete with NFL's perennial playoff teams. They're getting closer; however, a few key components still need to be upgraded.  I like the direction we're going though!

Jclayton92

Quote from: kingm56 on June 07, 2024, 11:49:26 AMThere's a difference between making the playoffs and being considered a "playoff team." While it's possible for the Giants to accomplish the former, they're not close to the latter. Considering the current playoff format, 14 of 32 (44%) teams make the playoffs; by definition, slightly above average teams have a chance to compete for a championship. In today's NFL, a very average team could make the playoffs if they play in a weak division and get a few lucky breaks, similar to our 2022 Giants.  However, did anyone believe that team had a chance to compete with the actual playoff teams (e.g. Phili, KC, Buff, etc)? In 2023, the same was true for the Bucs, Browns, Texan, and Steelers; each team made the playoffs, but lacked the firepower to actually beat the NFL elites.

The same paradigm exist today; while the Giants have improved their overall talent, they still lack the firepower to compete with NFL's perennial playoff teams. They're getting closer; however, a few key components still need to be upgraded.  I like the direction we're going though!

I still think we are a year and a half out from truly being competitive weekly with anyone.

AZGiantFan

It will all come down to the OL, IMO.  Until we see it on the field they certainly don't have a play-off quality OL.  Heck, until we see it on the field they don't even have an NFL quality OL.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kartanoman

Quote from: AZGiantFan on June 07, 2024, 01:02:51 PMIt will all come down to the OL, IMO.  Until we see it on the field they certainly don't have a play-off quality OL.  Heck, until we see it on the field they don't even have an NFL quality OL.

This is definitely part of the equation, i.e. "FIX the damn O-Line!!!"

The second part of the equation, which hasn't even been whispered yet, is what will be on their metric for "Lost Man-Games due to Injury?" As if we haven't been beaten into the fetal position over this one, have the Giants made enough changes to mitigate risk of injury to their players? Granted, there are many variables out there which contribute to injury. How will it play out this season?

A possible third part of the equation is they have tied for the sixth most difficult schedule in the league. Whether or not that means anything, you be the judge. But I'm throwing it out there, just the same.

Fourth, and what I consider one of the most significant parts of the equation, is how do they plan to beat the Cowboys and Eagles this season? If you cannot beat the Divisional rivals ahead of you, then you have no right to be mouthing off about playoffs. Beat those guys first!!!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)