News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jalin Hyatt - "We have a playoff team"

Started by sxdxca38, June 06, 2024, 10:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderblue43

I love the enthusiasm of Hyatt, but he has prove he can run the route tree first. I don't expect them to be as inept on offense, but being in the playoff mix will take health and good fortune.

Trench

Quote from: sxdxca38 on June 07, 2024, 07:47:09 AMSo here are my thoughts.

I pretty much agree with Mighty here.

I believe Nabers will emerge as an elite WR, and the strength of the offense will be the three WR's who will carry the team offensively.

Defensively, Thibodeaux, Lawrence, and Burns form an elite defensive line, and they are the strength of the defense.

LB Okereke is solid, and the DB's led by Banks, may surprise us and become an excellent secondary.

I personally am agreeing with Hyatt here.

I believe the Giants will make the playoffs this year.

I'm seeing a bounce back year for Daniel Jones, mainly because he has an unbelievable talent in Nabers, combined with Hyatt emerging, and Robinson staying healthy, O line is key though.

I also believe they take it to the Eagles this year, and at least beat them one time.

I'm not so sure they will have the same success against the Cowboys just yet though, but time will tell.

I see them winning nine to ten games and squeaking in as a wild card team.

And once there in, anything can happen.

Agree with most of this except Okereke. He is a lot more than solid. He is on the verge of All-Pro!

katkavage

Every team is a playoff team in June.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Gmo11 on June 07, 2024, 10:23:42 AMThey do have a playoff TEAM but they don't have a playoff QB.  Unless of course they happen to play an historically terrible defense in the playoffs again which seems unlikely.  But they are close.  Granted that last piece of the puzzle is probably the hardest to find but with that piece I do think they are a playoff caliber team overall.  Without that piece they are probably not.

Hi GMO,

I was curious, may I ask why do you say they don't have a playoff QB?

kingm56

Quote from: sxdxca38 on June 07, 2024, 10:17:28 PMHi GMO,

I suspect it has to do with his demonstrated play/output over 60 games.   

sxdxca38

Quote from: kingm56 on June 07, 2024, 11:53:12 PMIsn't it obvious?

Hi

Sadly, that's not how you answer a question.

And I was asking Gmo not you.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 06, 2024, 10:50:26 PMIt's great that he's enthusiastic, but no, I don't.

The Giants are not there yet. They have added some exciting new players, but they also lost some very good ones. There are still major question marks on this team at very important positions, they lack depth, and they cannot seem to stay healthy (an annual occurrence).

They were one of the worst teams in the league last year. I think it's pretty unlikely that they turn that completely around in a single season.

Why is that Dave?  They were a playoff team 2 years ago when they turned everything around from the previous year

then last year they turned everything around and fell on their face

Who's to say they cannot turn everything around for the 3rd year in a row and go playoffs again?

Certainly on paper this is the best roster we have had since Ben MacAdoo's 11 win season
Maybe the best since our last SB win

We are consistently unpredictable.....thats the only constancy

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Quote from: sxdxca38 on June 07, 2024, 10:17:28 PMHi GMO,

He says that because a majority of the fan base has come to the realization that Jones isn't a top 15 Qb and that 2022 was largely a mirage of good defense with a potent run game, and luck with an easy schedule.

Yes Jones beat a bad Vikings team, but then got smashed the following week vs an actual playoff worthy team.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 08, 2024, 09:03:15 AMWhy is that Dave? 

I feel I explained my answer pretty clearly and reasonably.

Look - I get that in June nobody wants to think anything other than the most positive thoughts, and that is totally fine. February-April is silly season, and June-August is propaganda season. I'm not questioning anyone's answers who responded that they think we are a playoff team. Everyone is entitled to his opinion.

Obviously if the Giants surprise and end up being good, I'll be delighted. The question was do I think they're a playoff team, and my answer was no, not yet. That is not a hard viewpoint to defend. Maybe we weren't watching the same team last year.

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 08, 2024, 09:03:15 AMWe are consistently unpredictable.....theats the only constancy

I am going to have to strongly disagree with you on this point. We have been consistently and predictably lousy for a full decade now. The team has been grossly mismanaged for the most part. Two so-so years out of 10 is not good.

We have drafted poorly, we have handed out ridiculously bad, back-breaking free agent contracts, our coaching has been poor for the most part, and we (the fans, the front office, the coaches, and ownership) have been guilty of wildly overrating our own talent. 2022 and 2016 were outlier years that were more mirage than anything else. This is evidenced by what we put on the field immediately following each of those years.

That is not being "consistently unpredictable." Not remotely.

BluesCruz

ok lately though we are a playoff team sporadically
2 yrs ago and MacAdoo's 11 win season

I just have a hunch this team will exceed expecations

Talent-wise we are becoming a much better team.   Jones or no Jones

I think all the telegraphed play calling to favor Barkley hurt us badly.
That's taken care of

My only real worry is Evan Neal.  Unless he completely is re-born as a player, he is a huge hole on our right side

For eons we have had poor LBer play- that seems fixed.  The D line is good possibly very good

Our pass rush should be terrific

If they give Jones time to set his feet he is a workable solution

I'm looking at a 9-11 win season

Ed Vette

Let me underscore what was already said. This team can get to the playoffs but this is not a playoff team. No way they win the division unless the other three starting QB's go IR.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 08, 2024, 09:34:14 AMok lately though we are a playoff team sporadically
2 yrs ago and MacAdoo's 11 win season

I just have a hunch this team will exceed expecations

Talent-wise we are becoming a much better team.  Jones or no Jones

I think all the telegraphed play calling to favor Barkley hurt us badly.
That's taken care of

My only real worry is Evan Neal.  Unless he completely is re-born as a player, he is a huge hole on our right side

For eons we have had poor LBer play- that seems fixed.  The D line is good possibly very good

Our pass rush should be terrific

If they give Jones time to set his feet he is a workable solution

I'm looking at a 9-11 win season

And that's totally fine. You're more than entitled to feel that way. And I'd be delighted if you end up being right.

Just to be clear though, and others have made this point:

A "playoff team" is not the same thing as a mediocre team could maybe sneak into a six or seven seed if everything breaks their way, they face opposing backup QBs or injury-riddled defenses, they frequently catch teams in off weeks, and the ball generally bounces their way. Almost any NFL team barring maybe five or six out of 32 each year can potentially be the latter. Only four, five, or maybe six in each conference each year are legitimately the former.

So can we be the latter? Sure, maybe, as can most teams. Are we the former? In my opinion, no we are not. Hopefully we will be at some point in the not too far away future, but we are not yet. We clearly weren't last year, and IMO we weren't in 2022 either. And we haven't been in any other season since about 2012. I am not happy about it, but that is the cold hard truth.

kartanoman

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 08, 2024, 10:05:06 AMLet me underscore what was already said. This team can get to the playoffs but this is not a playoff team. No way they win the division unless the other three starting QB's go IR.

But Ed, the Giants couldn't beat the Cowboys EVEN WHEN the backup was playing, and that was in the 2022 season.

Until they prove they can best Dallas and Philly, as I stated above, it should be sacrilege, as much as it is to say Joe P!$&%(!^ on this board, to even write down Giants and winning the division. They have to prove they've closed the gap from 0-40 and 17-49 and that's a tall mountain to climb, especially on Thanksgiving.

We're essentially on the same page; however, I'm still not convinced they go in if all the QBs in the division get sacked all at once.

O-Line, injuries and tough schedule are all factors that will impact them on the journey before their NFC East foes even have a say on the matter. Coming back from last year's challenging affair, if they don't get off to the start they hoped for, is Hyatt going to lose faith, drop his intensity, his desire? I'm more concerned about that for him, and his teammates than anything else.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Trench

I would say if this defense becomes lights out then we will make the playoffs

BluesCruz

this whole discussion is like a bunch of hens cackling

we have no idea how good the Giants or any division team is at this point.....none
all 4 could win the division or come in last.  I have a feeling Dallas and Philly are waning.

that's the long and short of it

I like the roster so far.  I like we took it to Philly last year, and this time its Dallas turn to burn.

Lets hope everything breaks our way and pride in this team is restored.  Hopefully for years to come