News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- How do you feel about Caitlin Clark not on Team USA Olympic roster?

Started by MightyGiants, June 09, 2024, 07:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

It feels like a colossal mistake to me.

For a while now, women have been unhappy with the lack of attention and coverage the WNBA (and women's basketball more broadly) has received which, they believe, has contributed directly to - if not outright caused - its clear lack of success as a league to this point. The league's abject lack of success is the singular reason for the low pay these players have received.

Now here comes along a game-changing, iconic figure who has ignited explosive, borderline obsessive national interest in this sport and puts thousands of extra fans in seats every night and has added millions of TV viewers. Like it or not, people flat out want to watch this young woman play. That is not even remotely up for debate.

Clark has received a lot of resentment from veteran players who feel that the degree of hype and attention she gets is not commensurate with her accomplishments as a professional to this point. There is clearly a racial component to that resentment, which I am not going to get into in this post due to the board's rules about political commentary.

In short, I can understand to a degree the frustration some of these players feel, but at the same time, you have a chance here to have your sport become way more in the spotlight, leading to you personally potentially making a lot more money. And yet after all the complaining about how the sport doesn't get enough attention, your response is to suppress this chance rather than run with it? I'm sorry, but that comes off as petty and frankly just foolish to me.

And by the way, I'm not suggesting putting a player on the Olympic team who is not worthy. The number one goal should be to win the gold, not boost ratings, and I am not suggesting otherwise. But it's not like Clark is just some novelty act who isn't deserving. She's in the top 15 in the WNBA scoring, top five in assists, and 16th in the league in steals as a brand new 22 year old rookie. She can clearly play. She should be there.

Huge missed opportunity in my opinion. I think they're making a major mistake.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 09, 2024, 07:38:51 AMIt feels like a colossal mistake to me.

For a while now, women have been unhappy with the lack of attention and coverage the WNBA (and women's basketball more broadly) has received which, they believe, has contributed directly to - if not outright caused - its clear lack of success as a league to this point. The league's abject lack of success is the singular reason for the low pay these players have received.

Now here comes along a game-changing, iconic figure who has ignited explosive, borderline obsessive national interest in this sport and puts thousands of extra fans in seats every night and has added millions of TV viewers. Like it or not, people flat out want to watch this young woman play. That is not even remotely up for debate.

Clark has received a lot of resentment from veteran players who feel that the degree of hype and attention she gets is not commensurate with her accomplishments as a professional to this point. There is clearly a racial component to that resentment, which I am not going to get into in this post due to the board's rules about political commentary.

In short, I can understand to a degree the frustration some of these players feel, but at the same time, you have a chance here to have your sport become way more in the spotlight, leading to you personally potentially making a lot more money. And yet after all the complaining about how the sport doesn't get enough attention, your response is to suppress this chance rather than run with it? I'm sorry, but that comes off as petty and frankly just foolish to me.

And by the way, I'm not suggesting putting a player on the Olympic team who is not worthy. The number one goal should be to win the gold, not boost ratings, and I am not suggesting otherwise. But it's not like Clark is just some novelty act who isn't deserving. She's in the top 15 in the WNBA scoring, top five in assists, and 16th in the league in steals as a brand new 22 year old rookie. She can clearly play. She should be there.

Huge missed opportunity in my opinion. I think they're making a major mistake.

To answer Rich's original question, I don't think it's a snub.  She's a good shooter but not a complete player yet.  That Olympic team is stacked in terms of talent.  Candace Parker did not get on an Olympic team in spite of being a much more complete player in college on another Olympic team that also happened to be stacked.

If this pick were the #1 pick in the NBA and he happened to be black, would we even be having this conversation?

Sorry but this is about race.  There have been some absolutely fantastic women college basketball players who have been drafted #1 into the WNBA and almost all happen to be black.  Within their first 5-10 games in the WNBA, they have taken very hard fouls and nowhere, especially ESPN, has reported it the way they have reported every little thing about Caitlan Clark.  Same with Fox.  It's a "welcome to the WNBA Ms. College Player" foul.  That's it, yet the press and everyone is blowing it up. 

Clark is a very good player who happens to be white and heterosexual.  That three combo fact is what is attracting more fans -- fans who happen to be white.

This is neither a Caitlan Clark, Angel Reese or anyone else in the WNBA problem.  Leave it only to them and Clark would get hard fouled on occasion, then maybe she'd throw an elbow or two back somewhere and within the first season, she'd be accepted into the WNBA and Clark would accept the other players.

BluesCruz

she is apparently struggling as a rookie in a women's league

rank 134 out of 136 in Defense

and only hitting 20 odd percent of her 3 pointers

The coach of UCONN said she will need to gain strength and learn to defend before she can dominate in the WNBA.  Right now she suffers from the from the Evan Neal syndrome
Great in College struggling in the Pros.  He also said being on a weak team allows opponents to concentrate on her.  Her team will need more talent and she must adapt.
It might take years.

To make matters worse she is being harassed

Right now I saw she was ranked 7th out of all new players in the WNBA
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

I'm pretty much ignorant about Women's Basketball. That said, my question would be since this is an Olympic Sport and she was an outstanding amateur and the @1 draft pick, what difference does it make if she's been in the WNBA ten minutes? Are all the other teams comprised of Professional Players?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I seriously doubt race or sexual preference played a part in her not making the team

Some might consider this being a factor in her being left off:

QuoteIn March, Clark was one of 14 players to receive an invitation to the U.S. national team's final training camp ahead of the Summer Games. She was unable to attend as she was playing with Iowa in the Final Four, while multiple players who had put in years of service to the U.S. national program ahead of her attended. The U.S. women has held periodic training camps for national team hopefuls for years. While not mandatory, they go a long way in helping the selection committee decide which 12 will represent the most dominant basketball program — men's or women's.

Then there is this:

QuoteIt's also hard to imagine her slow start to the WNBA season didn't impact the decision. Though Clark has experienced some highs — on Friday night, for instance, she became the first player in WNBA history with 200 points and 75 assists through her first 12 games — she also leads the WNBA with 67 turnovers — 29 more than any other player. Her 32.7 percent 3-point shooting clip is also lower than many expected. Still, in leaving Clark off the roster, the Olympic committee appears to be accepting lower television ratings than if Clark was on the team.

Here are the selection committee's preferences:

Quote[The roster indicates a preference for veterans with the selection of A'ja Wilson, Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi, Brittney Griner, Alyssa Thomas, Napheesa Collier, Jewell Loyd, Kelsey Plum, Jackie Young, Sabrina Ionescu, Chelsea Gray and Kahleah Copper, those sources said. The U.S. women have won gold at every Olympics since 1996, and this distinguished roster of All-Stars appears positioned to be a favorite in Paris.

Seven of the 12 players have Olympic five-on-five experience and two more have 3×3 experience, so there will be only three first-time Olympians — Thomas, Copper and Ionescu. Selected players began receiving their Team USA Olympics jerseys recently.

Finally, it's not like the team is all black.

I have no idea the sexual preferences of the 12 women, but I have doubts they are all gay.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5550057/2024/06/08/caitlin-clark-paris-olympics-roster-womens-basketball/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 09, 2024, 09:59:46 AMIt's interesting that some immediately (Without evidence) accuse the US selection committee of racism and bigotry towards heterosexuals.

Then there is this:

Quote[The roster indicates a preference for veterans with the selection of A'ja Wilson, Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi, Brittney Griner, Alyssa Thomas, Napheesa Collier, Jewell Loyd, Kelsey Plum, Jackie Young, Sabrina Ionescu, Chelsea Gray and Kahleah Copper, those sources said. The U.S. women have won gold at every Olympics since 1996, and this distinguished roster of All-Stars appears positioned to be a favorite in Paris.

Seven of the 12 players have Olympic five-on-five experience and two more have 3×3 experience, so there will be only three first-time Olympians — Thomas, Copper and Ionescu. Selected players began receiving their Team USA Olympics jerseys recently.

I have no idea the sexual preferences of the 12 women, but I have doubts they are all gay.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5550057/2024/06/08/caitlin-clark-paris-olympics-roster-womens-basketball/

What if she's willing to learn?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

FL GMAN

I agree it's a colossal mistake. She is the biggest draw. Forget whether she's one of the 15 best. Treat it like Christian Laetner on the dream team. As far as her treatment so far, she hasn't complained at all. I will say however that the play that started all this talk was a cheap shot and if that had been done to almost any other player it would have resulted in a fight. Can you imagine someone doing that to a young Jordan, Bird or Magic. IMHO her teammates let her down. I think she'll be like Steph Curry and it will take a little time, But man she can shoot.

MightyGiants

Quote from: FL GMAN on June 09, 2024, 10:27:33 AMI agree it's a colossal mistake. She is the biggest draw. Forget whether she's one of the 15 best. Treat it like Christian Laetner on the dream team. As far as her treatment so far, she hasn't complained at all. I will say however that the play that started all this talk was a cheap shot and if that had been done to almost any other player it would have resulted in a fight. Can you imagine someone doing that to a young Jordan, Bird or Magic. IMHO her teammates let her down. I think she'll be like Steph Curry and it will take a little time, But man she can shoot.

This is what it comes down to.  Do you select players who will raise the profile of woman's basketball or do you create the best possible team?

Still, I think Clark is young and no doubt will be a mainstay of future Olympic teams
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 09, 2024, 09:20:45 AMshe is apparently struggling as a rookie in a women's league

As a 22 year old rookie, she's 13th in scoring per game, 4th in assists per game, 5th in rebounds per game among guards, and 16th in steals per game. Does that sound like a struggling player to you?

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 09, 2024, 09:20:45 AMrank 134 out of 136 in Defense

By what metric? Please provide a source/link that states and explains this.

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 09, 2024, 09:20:45 AMand only hitting 20 odd percent of her 3 pointers

This is simply a false statement. She is shooting 32.7% from three point range.

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 09, 2024, 09:20:45 AMRight now she suffers from the from the Evan Neal syndrome
Great in College struggling in the Pros.

With due respect, this is a completely insane comparison. Clark has played well so far in the WNBA (see the above evidence I have posted). Neal has been nothing short of an unmitigated disaster as a pro. Not to mention nobody cares about Neal outside of the Giants community. Clark is a national if not global phenom.

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 09, 2024, 09:20:45 AMTo make matters worse she is being harassed

So you want to torment her further by unjustifiably excluding her from the Olympic team even though she deserves to be there on merit?

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 09, 2024, 09:20:45 AMRight now I saw she was ranked 7th out of all new players in the WNBA

Source/link please?

Doc16LT56

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 09, 2024, 10:30:47 AMThis is what it comes down to.  Do you select players who will raise the profile of woman's basketball or do you create the best possible team?

Are you sure they have done the latter?

One of the women who made it over Clark (Dana Taurasi) turns 42 on Tuesday and is behind/materially behind Clark in most statistical metrics. How is picking her over Clark creating the best possible team?

In my opinion, the decision to exclude Clark was the opposite of going with the best possible team. They're aware that Clark has caused envy and resentment among other players in the WNBA, and they want to placate those players rather than bringing in one of the best female players in the world who will both help the team win and spur major new interest in the sport.

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 09, 2024, 09:59:46 AMI seriously doubt race or sexual preference played a part in her not making the team

Then there is this:

Rich - just to be clear, I was not suggesting the Olympic selection committee had any view on race or sexual orientation.  I don't think that's the case at all.  My comment was directed toward the apparent larger WNBA fan base now as a result of Clark playing in the league.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 09, 2024, 10:35:43 AMAs a 22 year old rookie, she's 13th in scoring per game, 4th in assists per game, 5th in rebounds per game among guards, and 16th in steals per game. Does that sound like a struggling player to you?

By what metric? Please provide a source/link that states and explains this.

This is simply a false statement. She is shooting 32.7% from three point range.

With due respect, this is a completely insane comparison. Clark has played well so far in the WNBA (see the above evidence I have posted). Neal has been nothing short of an unmitigated disaster as a pro. Not to mention nobody cares about Neal outside of the Giants community. Clark is a national if not global phenom.

So you want to torment her further by unjustifiably excluding her from the Olympic team even though she deserves to be there on merit?

Source/link please?

I cannot find that article but check this out-

It's also hard to imagine her slow start to the WNBA season didn't impact the decision. Though Clark has experienced some highs — on Friday night, for instance, she became the first player in WNBA history with 200 points and 75 assists through her first 12 games — she also leads the WNBA with 67 turnovers — 29 more than any other player. Her 32.7 percent 3-point shooting clip is also lower than many expected. Still, in leaving Clark off the roster, the Olympic committee appears to be accepting lower television ratings than if Clark was on the team. — Ben Pickman
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 09, 2024, 11:23:09 AMI cannot find that article but tcheck this out-

It's also hard to imagine her slow start to the WNBA season didn't impact the decision. Though Clark has experienced some highs — on Friday night, for instance, she became the first player in WNBA history with 200 points and 75 assists through her first 12 games — she also leads the WNBA with 67 turnovers — 29 more than any other player. Her 32.7 percent 3-point shooting clip is also lower than many expected. Still, in leaving Clark off the roster, the Olympic committee appears to be accepting lower television ratings than if Clark was on the team. — Ben Pickman

Yeah - her WNBA numbers so far have not been quite what her college numbers were, which were the best college numbers of all time (best scoring numbers for either gender). That doesn't mean she's not deserving of being on this team. Why is the 42 year old Taurisi a better pick for this team? Hell, is Brittany Greiner having a better WNBA year than Clark?