News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Schoen's best three and worst three moves since being hired

Started by DaveBrown74, June 09, 2024, 03:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Based on what I know/believe today:

Best moves:

1. Signing Okereke
2. The Leo trade
3. The Burns trade

Worst moves:

1. The Jones contract (should have tagged him)
2. Getting nothing for either Barkley or McKinney
3. The complete lack of progress in the O line to this point despite investing major resources in it.

Jclayton92

Best-
1. Bobby Okereke
2. Upgrading the overall talent of the team ie churning the bottom of the roster.
3. The oline, while it hasn't been fixed, you can't knock the guy for trying, he's put assest after assess on the line.

Worst-

1. Not trading Barkley in 2022 at the deadline when he was white hot and the best back in the league.

2. Winning the Vikings game to cloud the overall plan for the rebuild. The Jones contract and Waller trade came about because of that one game. I fully believe had we lost in Minnesota Jones, Waller etc wouldn't be on the roster.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 10, 2024, 07:52:11 PMBest-
1. Bobby Okereke
2. Upgrading the overall talent of the team ie churning the bottom of the roster.
3. The oline, while it hasn't been fixed, you can't knock the guy for trying, he's put assest after assess on the line.

Worst-

1. Not trading Barkley in 2022 at the deadline when he was white hot and the best back in the league.

2. Winning the Vikings game to cloud the overall plan for the rebuild. The Jones contract and Waller trade came about because of that one game. I fully believe had we lost in Minnesota Jones, Waller etc wouldn't be on the roster.

How is a tea. winning a playoff game a GMs worst move?

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on June 10, 2024, 09:46:33 PMHow is a tea. winning a playoff game a GMs worst move?
His reaction to us winning that game was everything that set us back. Signing Jones, trading for a weapon, not trading Barkley etc. Most of those moves likely don't happen if we get blown out or lose that game.

nb587

The Giants did have a playoff game after the Minnesota win and did get blown out.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 11, 2024, 07:19:22 AMHis reaction to us winning that game was everything that set us back. Signing Jones, trading for a weapon, not trading Barkley etc. Most of those moves likely don't happen if we get blown out or lose that game.

Ok, so after the GM "made the move to win a playoff game", he made poor decisions you feel were poor? 

I dont see how "winning a playoff game" answers the OP.  The GM didnt win the playoff game the players did. 

If early success lead to poor decisions later so be it, but winning a playoff game isnt a bad move by a GM. Further, I think making the playoffs might have been an impetus for the moves you listed regardless of that one playoff game.

Have been scratching my head on somethings I have read here lately:

Winning a playoff game was bad
Making the playoffs doesnt mean you are a playoff team (by definition it does).

It's like the bizarro forum.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 10, 2024, 07:10:07 PMBased on what I know/believe today:

Best moves:

1. Signing Okereke
2. The Leo trade
3. The Burns trade

Worst moves:

1. The Jones contract (should have tagged him)
2. Getting nothing for either Barkley or McKinney
3. The complete lack of progress in the O line to this point despite investing major resources in it.

The Leo trade was a good one
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

So far Id give him a B Minus

Best Move- letting Barkley leave (too much talk not enough results).  You don't need a homer hitter at RB, you need a guy who can reliably move the chains and block well.  Everyone in the stadium knew when Barkley was getting the ball, especially the opponents

Worst Moves- Letting Julian Love go.  Keeping Jones- although I think he probably got the job by promising Mara to keep Jones
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on June 11, 2024, 07:54:16 AMOk, so after the GM "made the move to win a playoff game", he made poor decisions you feel were poor? 

I dont see how "winning a playoff game" answers the OP.  The GM didnt win the playoff game the players did. 

If early success lead to poor decisions later so be it, but winning a playoff game isnt a bad move by a GM. Further, I think making the playoffs might have been an impetus for the moves you listed regardless of that one playoff game.

Have been scratching my head on somethings I have read here lately:

Winning a playoff game was bad
Making the playoffs doesnt mean you are a playoff team (by definition it does).

It's like the bizarro forum.

Look at the 3 worst moves that most people have listed. 90% of them came to be because of the reaction to us winning that playoff game. Thats it, I think you are trying to read more into it then there is. Schoens worst moves Came on the back of that 2022 season. Instead of realizing we were still far off, they double down trying to acquire weapons, retaining Barkley and Jones etc. Most of those likely don't happen if we lose that Vikings game as we were horrible in the 2nd half of 2022.

In my opinion that game set us back a year and a half, but that's what I think and you're welcome to your own opinion.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 11, 2024, 09:57:31 AMLook at the 3 worst moves that most people have listed. 90% of them came to be because of the reaction to us winning that playoff game. Thats it, I think you are trying to read more into it then there is. Schoens worst moves Came on the back of that 2022 season. Instead of realizing we were still far off, they double down trying to acquire weapons, retaining Barkley and Jones etc. Most of those likely don't happen if we lose that Vikings game as we were horrible in the 2nd half of 2022.

In my opinion that game set us back a year and a half, but that's what I think and you're welcome to your own opinion.

There is no way Jones was going.  Mara loves him like a son.  Personally he is the perfect guy- quiet, affable, says all the right things.  On the field he freezes up

As a lifelong fan I wish they were a little more barracuda-like but they are not.  Its a family business and the family plays nice.

"We have done everything we could to screw this guy up" Goodness. Now we have made him a rich man- to what end?

Philosophers

I think the contract was the reward for the "we have done everything we could to screw this guy up" however now if he does not perform, the team will have no hesitancy to rid themselves of him and save the contract money remaining because they know what they already paid DJ is adequate compensation for "screwing him up."  He will never have to work again.  The team can sleep at night.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Philosophers on June 11, 2024, 12:07:37 PMI think the contract was the reward for the "we have done everything we could to screw this guy up" however now if he does not perform, the team will have no hesitancy to rid themselves of him and save the contract money remaining because they know what they already paid DJ is adequate compensation for "screwing him up."  He will never have to work again.  The team can sleep at night.

I think Jones is an enigma
He certainly can make all the throws, has word class foot speed, is toughs nails
on the other hand he struggles with the mental part of the game

perhaps he overthinks things too much

with all that money in his pocket he should just rise up and let it rip
if you are going to fail, fail on full throttle.  No need to accentuate caution.

He needs to read and react at a faster pace.   He is not graceful, not slick like say a Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.

His strengths are speed and very strong arm.  I'd like to see him throw caution to the wind this year (as he did in his rookie year) and just let the game come to him and let it rip.

If all that fails, then next man up and he can resume his NFL career elsewhere as a back up.  This is his make or break year IMHO

sxdxca38

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 10, 2024, 07:52:11 PMBest-
1. Bobby Okereke

Worst-

The Giants were on their way to making the playoffs, had a winning record at the time, and you wanted them to trade Barkley right at that moment?

Do you know the backlash management would have received?

That would have been one of the worst moves the franchise could have made.

The right move would have been if Barkley accepted the 3-year deal Schoen offered him at the deadline, but he refused.

Jclayton92

Quote from: sxdxca38 on June 11, 2024, 09:40:52 PMThe Giants were on their way to making the playoffs, had a winning record at the time, and you wanted them to trade Barkley right at that moment?

Do you know the backlash management would have received?

That would have been one of the worst moves the franchise could have made.

The right move would have been if Barkley accepted the 3-year deal Schoen offered him at the deadline, but he refused.
Yes, this team wasn't making a deep run, infact we went 3-6-1 after the deadline with Barkley. Very likely that we still win the Houston, Indy, and Washington game without Barkley.

That same season the 49ers gave up a haul for an oft-injured McCaffrey and that could have been us as Barkley was the premier back for the 1st half of the season. He hit a wall in the Houston game and was never the same.

So yes who cares about fan backlash when it was the right move to make. Even now it would have been the best move if we are trying to win super bowls.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 12, 2024, 08:32:43 AMYes, this team wasn't making a deep run, infact we went 3-6-1 after the deadline with Barkley. Very likely that we still win the Houston, Indy, and Washington game without Barkley.

That same season the 49ers gave up a haul for an oft-injured McCaffrey and that could have been us as Barkley was the premier back for the 1st half of the season. He hit a wall in the Houston game and was never the same.

So yes who cares about fan backlash when it was the right move to make. Even know it would have been the best move if we are trying to win super bowls.

The Panthers had no shot at making the playoffs, they were not a good team when they traded Mcaffrey away, it's not the same scenario.

Daniel Jones was playing to save his job since they declined his 5th year option, and Barkley was helping in making his job easier.

If what you're saying is true, that they would have beat Houston, Indianapolis, and Washington without Barkley, than Daniel Jones was the more important player.

So we will have to agree to disagree here, as I believe keeping Barkley was the right move at the time.

Just too bad they couldn't have signed him to that three year deal.