News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Waller retires

Started by MightyGiants, June 09, 2024, 06:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coggs

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 10, 2024, 08:56:02 AMThe Giants could have pushed Waller if they needed the money.   With this added money, the team shouldn't have to borrow money from next season as they sign injury replacements liike in years past.   If there is any money left over after the season they can carry it over.
Not really.  Only option was to cut him and take the bigger cap hit.

Ed Vette

This is perfect timing for the development of rookie Theo Johnson and Daniel Bellinger who is in his third year.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TONKA56

Oft injured player comes to a team that routinely leads the league in injuries and then gets injured. Giants management: There was simply no way to see this coming.

<:-P

MightyGiants

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
Was tied up yesterday, so here are a few additional thoughts on Darren Waller's retirement:

• Most of the focus has understandably been on the cap impact for the Giants, but Waller left serious money on the table. Had he been on the roster in Week 1, he would have guaranteed his $10.5M salary for the season. He would have earned another $200K by participating in the offseason program and would have earned an additional $75K for every game he was active. Walking away from $12M can't be a decision made lightly.

• Waller referenced in his retirement video that he thinks he owes the Giants $750K in bonus money. That's from his restructure last year. Instead of a straight restructure to convert $9.8M of his base salary into a bonus for cap purposes, $8.8 was converted into a bonus for cap purposes (and got paid out weekly during the season) and he got $1M in a signing bonus last April.

The Giants could try to recoup the $750K proration remaining from that signing bonus, but I would be surprised if they went that route, especially with them releasing a statement about their respect for him as a person.

• Waller's retirement will open a roster spot. Imagine the Giants will have a few vets participate in this week's minicamp as tryouts as they've done in the past.

• Waller had 52 catches for 552 yards in 12 games during a disappointing 2023 season. Aside from Daniel Bellinger, the four other tight ends on the roster with NFL experience have combined for 68 catches for 665 yards in 207 games.
11:26 AM · Jun 10, 2024
·
 Views

https://x.com/DDuggan21/status/1800187841961427093
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

I hate when people bring up money when talking about a player who walks away from a lot of it to focus on their well-being.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

coggs

Quote from: T200 on June 10, 2024, 12:53:56 PMI hate when people bring up money when talking about a player who walks away from a lot of it to focus on their well-being.
In what regard?  All I care about is how it impacts the Giants salary cap.  I could not care less if the Giants try to recover the $750K or if Mara gives him a check for the rest of his contract "under the table".

T200

Quote from: coggs on June 10, 2024, 01:07:24 PMIn what regard?  All I care about is how it impacts the Giants salary cap.  I could not care less if the Giants try to recover the $750K or if Mara gives him a check for the rest of his contract "under the table".

Duggan said:

Quote...but Waller left serious money on the table.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

coggs

Quote from: T200 on June 10, 2024, 01:09:47 PMDuggan said:

gotchya.  But, it is true.  He is walking away from a lot of money.

nb587

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 10, 2024, 11:35:55 AMDan Duggan
@DDuggan21
Was tied up yesterday, so here are a few additional thoughts on Darren Waller's retirement:

• Most of the focus has understandably been on the cap impact for the Giants, but Waller left serious money on the table. Had he been on the roster in Week 1, he would have guaranteed his $10.5M salary for the season. He would have earned another $200K by participating in the offseason program and would have earned an additional $75K for every game he was active. Walking away from $12M can't be a decision made lightly.

• Waller referenced in his retirement video that he thinks he owes the Giants $750K in bonus money. That's from his restructure last year. Instead of a straight restructure to convert $9.8M of his base salary into a bonus for cap purposes, $8.8 was converted into a bonus for cap purposes (and got paid out weekly during the season) and he got $1M in a signing bonus last April.

The Giants could try to recoup the $750K proration remaining from that signing bonus, but I would be surprised if they went that route, especially with them releasing a statement about their respect for him as a person.

• Waller's retirement will open a roster spot. Imagine the Giants will have a few vets participate in this week's minicamp as tryouts as they've done in the past.

• Waller had 52 catches for 552 yards in 12 games during a disappointing 2023 season. Aside from Daniel Bellinger, the four other tight ends on the roster with NFL experience have combined for 68 catches for 665 yards in 207 games.
11:26 AM · Jun 10, 2024
·
 Views

https://x.com/DDuggan21/status/1800187841961427093
When I read your 2 earlier posts on this  thread, it confirmed a thought I had that as we get closer to the season, Waller just might change his mind and unretire.  But, after ready your later post and the Giants statement, still not convinced he won't change his mind but am thinking that the Giants do not want him back because they recognize the trade was a mistake.  And, if he does change his mind, and as you noted, he left a huge amount on the table, he would not be on the roster and would not receive that big check

bamagiantfan

The guy had a hell of year. Hopefully his good luck is piling up somewhere. I wish him well.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Trench

I want every dime we can get from his deal to give to other players. NFL is a business. I routinely see people say "he has every right to make $$ while he can".....well Schoen and Mara also have every right to save it and redistribute it where they can also.