News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is Daboll going to call plays this year?

Started by LennG, June 09, 2024, 08:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or even if it means anything, but it has been reported that Daboll has been calling all the plays for the OTAs. When minicamp starts this week, will it be the same way?

Would you prefer Daboll calling the plays instead of Kafka?  I wouldn't mind the change as I was never a big fan of Kafka's style and play calling.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Trench

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on June 09, 2024, 08:36:12 PMI'm not sure if this has been mentioned or even if it means anything, but it has been reported that Daboll has been calling all the plays for the OTAs. When minicamp starts this week, will it be the same way?

Would you prefer Daboll calling the plays instead of Kafka?  I wouldn't mind the change as I was never a big fan of Kafka's style and play calling.

Daboll will not commit, but all signs (Daboll has been calling the plays in OTAs) point to Daboll calling the plays this  year.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

I've never been a fan of HCs pulling double duty. Some guys can pull it off but many more have tried and failed.

I'm not a Kafka fan so I guess Daboll is the next best option. My concern is that Daboll cannot give 100% to two different jobs. My hope is that he finds a way to be successful at both.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bill Brown

Quote from: T200 on June 10, 2024, 08:32:09 AMI've never been a fan of HCs pulling double duty. Some guys can pull it off but many more have tried and failed.

I'm not a Kafka fan so I guess Daboll is the next best option. My concern is that Daboll cannot give 100% to two different jobs. My hope is that he finds a way to be successful at both.

Perhaps the reason Kafka was named assistant head coach was so he could take care of those head coaching duties during the games and allow Dabs to just focus on the offense during the games.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Ed Vette

I speculate that Kafka comes down to the field and is more involved in game management as Bill suggested. I see Daboll calling the plays on Offense.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Kafka was made assistant head coach.  So it makes sense he would assume other game day duties
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

HondurasGiants

Daboll has not been the best game manager (time management, etc.), has probably had little input on Defense (other than fighting with his DC) and has a hard time staying calm mid-game.

He is better suited calling plays and having someone else manage other "details" during the game.

I generally don't like it when HCs call plays BUT I think it is a better fit for Daboll, if the actually delegates some HC responsibilities to Kafka.

DaveBrown74

Daboll faces existential considerations as Giants' head coach this year, and he knows it. I suspect he wants to increase his control of the offense and have his fate lie partially in the hands of Mike Kafka, who has not seemed that effective as a play caller so far.

Plenty of head coaches on very successful teams (past and present) call offensive plays. McVay is an example.