News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I found this on the ESPN website and thought it deserved discussion

Started by BluesCruz, June 11, 2024, 08:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

Apparently the 4 finalists last year defied the rest of the league in their offensive approach.  We obviously have ignored this trend and our roster reflects that approach.  Should we adopt it, or is it an aberration?    It will be interesting to see who has the better year and in the long run- Nabors or Bowers?

ESPN-

"trend found in all four of last season's conference finalists: the frequent use of pre-snap motion, a preference for two-tight-end and two-back formations, and the presence of an elite pass-catching tight end.

Indeed, the Chiefs, 49ers, Baltimore Ravens and Detroit Lions rode their commonalities to great effect last season, ultimately finding themselves atop their respective conferences while winning 48 regular-season games and four division titles among them. And while their general approaches largely mirrored each other, they were starkly different when compared to the rest of the NFL, perhaps making it a template others might choose in a league notorious for its copycats."
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jolly Blue Giant

FWIW, I think that all teams tend to use strategies built around the players they have, rather that drafting/acquiring players to fit a preferred scheme  :-??

Two TE's, with one being an elite receiver, worked well for Belichick over the years. I do believe that is an advantage if you're lucky enough to get one. Maybe Theo will turn into that for the Giants...that'd be nice

As far as pre-snap motion goes, I think that's pretty standard for all teams as they try to confuse the defense. In fact, it's hard to find plays that don't have it. I think it's more advantageous to use the "hurry-up, no-huddle" offense (HUNH), than anything else. When the Bills were dominating a couple of years ago, they lived off the HUNH offense. That catches the defense off guard on a regular basis...more so than pre-snap motion. I'd love to see the Giants work that into their repertoire 

So, teams take what they have and build around their stars as best they can. Some schemes built around the stars just happen to match up either very well or just plain poorly against some teams. I'm not sure if it's wise to have a "follow the leader" mentality...but again, I'm just a fan, certainly not as knowledgeable as the pro coaches
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 11, 2024, 08:48:56 AMFWIW, I think that all teams tend to use strategies built around the players they have, rather that drafting/acquiring players to fit a preferred scheme  :-??

Two TE's, with one being an elite receiver, worked well for Belichick over the years. I do believe that is an advantage if you're lucky enough to get one. Maybe Theo will turn into that for the Giants...that'd be nice

As far as pre-snap motion goes, I think that's pretty standard for all teams as they try to confuse the defense. In fact, it's hard to find plays that don't have it. I think it's more advantageous to use the "hurry-up, no-huddle" offense (HUNH), than anything else. When the Bills were dominating a couple of years ago, they lived off the HUNH offense. That catches the defense off guard on a regular basis...more so than pre-snap motion. I'd love to see the Giants work that into their repertoire 

So, teams take what they have and build around their stars as best they can. Some schemes built around the stars just happen to match up either very well or just plain poorly against some teams. I'm not sure if it's wise to have a "follow the leader" mentality...but again, I'm just a fan, certainly not as knowledgeable as the pro coaches

I hear you but we could have traded back to get Bowers and some draft capital
hindsight being 20/20.  I hope Nabors is the real deal when the bell rings in Sept.

The more interesting part is the 2 back part of the equation.  We can certainly adopt that part of it.  Parcells liked these jumbo formations.  Old school smash mouth football

On the TE side, I think Bellinger can be elite but he has to avoid injury.  No doubt elite TEs are hard to find

I read today that Waller at one point had a drug problem, and almost it almost killed him.  What was Schoen thinking on that one? Do your research man.  I could see his talent and also it seemed he really didn't want to be here.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Philosophers

The common thread among all theee is the ability to create a mismatch.  Bill B said that she ultimately what an O or D tries to do each play.  Ideally they want enough guys with talent to run them all but barring that they take what they can get.