News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones believes he will have his athletic ability this season

Started by MightyGiants, June 11, 2024, 01:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 14, 2024, 11:32:19 AMWhen defenses are getting to the QB more than half the time in around 2.3 seconds it's not on the QB

You probably read my reasoning, and there will be no way to refute it or substantiate it. I sincerely believe if a QB gets hot early, the defense softens. When a QB can't make reads quick or locks on receivers then the flood gates open. I sincerely believe this to be part of jones issues last year because the backup QBs did soften the defenses in a better way and they seemed more comfortable and competent

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on June 14, 2024, 11:38:10 AMYou probably read my reasoning, and there will be no way to refute it or substantiate it. I sincerely believe if a QB gets hot early, the defense softens. When a QB can't make reads quick or locks on receivers then the flood gates open. I sincerely believe this to be part of jones issues last year because the backup QBs did soften the defenses in a better way and they seemed more comfortable and competent

How exactly does a defense "soften"?   What exactly does a defense do differently to soften itself after an opposing QB has some early success?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 14, 2024, 11:57:31 AMHow exactly does a defense "soften"?   What exactly does a defense do differently to soften itself after an opposing QB has some early success?

Maybe someone can explain it better than me - announcers sometimes talk about it. When an aggressive QB makes plays early (the defense kinda starts going to a soft prevent)...it allows the QB more time to throw

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on June 14, 2024, 12:00:07 PMMaybe someone can explain it better than me - announcers sometimes talk about it. When an aggressive QB makes plays early (the defense kinda starts going to a soft prevent)...it allows the QB more time to throw

Early QB success may or may not impact how a defense will play.   Teams spend all week creating defensive game plans against an opposing QB.  A good coach is unlikely to abandon that gameplay because of a couple of successful passes.    That said, a defense may make some adjustments, but those adjustments could go either way.  If a QB is burning a defense's blitz, they might blitz a bit less.  If they get burned due to a lack of pressure, they may increase the number of blitzes.   Same with coverage.  If receivers are beating them deep on tight coverage, they might play off a bit more.  If the receivers are feasting on the underneath stuff from soft coverage, they might play more press or tight coverage.

The only time teams will usually go into a soft prevent defense is if they are protecting a nice lead and hope to run out the clock.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 14, 2024, 12:33:25 PMEarly QB success may or may not impact how a defense will play.  Teams spend all week creating defensive game plans against an opposing QB.  A good coach is unlikely to abandon that gameplay because of a couple of successful passes.    That said, a defense may make some adjustments, but those adjustments could go either way.  If a QB is burning a defense's blitz, they might blitz a bit less.  If they get burned due to a lack of pressure, they may increase the number of blitzes.  Same with coverage.  If receivers are beating them deep on tight coverage, they might play off a bit more.  If the receivers are feasting on the underneath stuff from soft coverage, they might play more press or tight coverage.

The only time teams will usually go into a soft prevent defense is if they are protecting a nice lead and hope to run out the clock.

I've heard announcers say otherwise

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on June 14, 2024, 01:20:05 PMI've heard announcers say otherwise

Years ago (2006), I read a book written by Phil Simms-   Sunday Morning Quarterback: Going Deep on the Strategies, Myths, and Mayhem of Football

Phil walked the reader through so many of the cliches used by announcers and showed just how many of them were either not true or grossly exaggerated.   Since then, I tend to be careful in terms of simply believing everything an announcer says.

Here is a link to the book if you're interested (it was a great read at the time)

An in-depth and surprising look at the game, Sunday Morning Quarterback will dramatically change the way you watch football.

You've heard all the football clichés: "Their offense is too predictable," or "They've got to win the turnover battle," or "They didn't make any halftime adjustments." Perhaps you've heard them so often that you've come to see them as obvious truths. Phil Simms, after an illustrious career as a Super Bowl–winning quarterback and a broadcaster, is here to tell you that these -- and many other blanket statements taken as gospel -- are all myths, and whoever says them has no idea of what they're talking about.

Drilling deep into the core of football, Simms also shows the hidden signs that players look for that can determine the outcome of a game. Whether it's discovering how a linebacker positions his feet before he blitzes or how to react if the safety is eight or nine yards from the line of scrimmage, knowing these "dirty little secrets" gives players and their coaches a tremendous advantage.

In addition, Simms shares his insights into the enormous challenges coaches face in today's game, evaluating the top coaches and what makes them successful. He takes a look at some of the greatest players he's played with and against, and what he misses most about the game -- waking up Monday mornings feeling beat up and sore. He looks at the next generation of football players -- his son, Tampa Bay's Chris Simms, among them.

Through it all, Simms shares stories from his playing days with Bill Parcells and the New York Giants, and the inside access he's had as an announcer for one of the top NFL broadcasting teams in football.

Fun and lively, Sunday Morning Quarterback should be required reading for anyone who loves football.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Morning-Quarterback-Strategies-Football/dp/0060734310
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Trench on June 14, 2024, 09:14:28 AMFact of matter is no matter how we slice it, Jones had so many opportunities that he missed. It was discussed here and shown in video clips ad nauseam yet still people made excuses.

He stunk last year. Absolute horrific and it started with Dallas and he never got better. Backups went in and moved the ball and injected life. Those are facts. Yeah Thomas was in and out but one man doesn't make a team.

Full disclosure, hopefully it clicks for Jones this year and we can all take our licks for not having enough patience. I'll be first on line. Unfortunately I don't have much confidence simply because he rarely if ever practices looking off the DBs. The entire league knows this. I anticipate his interceptions will go WAY WAY up this year BECAUSE of this. Yet guys here will say "everyone wanted him to take chances and this is part of it"

He's our QB and nobody will root harder for his success than me. I hope he becomes All-Pro. 

It's a good thing that we don't have a drinking game where every time you talk about Jones not looking off dbs we'd have to drink.   =))
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Trench

Quote from: AZGiantFan on June 14, 2024, 01:48:25 PMIt's a good thing that we don't have a drinking game where every time you talk about Jones not looking off dbs we'd have to drink.   =))

Well played