News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

“Big Game” Players

Started by Trench, June 14, 2024, 12:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trench

What players (who weren't stars) do you remember who consistently played "big" in big spots or games?

1. Gary Reasons
2. Jim Plunkett

WheresDayne

Doug Williams
Doug Flutie
Phil McConkey
Jeff Hostetler

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

uconnjack8

He was star in some minds, but Justin Tuck never got the recognition his DL mates got. 

He IMO was the MVP in Super Bowl XLII.  His hit on the opening play in the NFC championship game two weeks prior was a tone setter. 

Trench

Probably some decent picks in this category made All Madden teams

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Trench on June 14, 2024, 12:03:24 PMWhat players (who weren't stars) do you remember who consistently played "big" in big spots or games?

1. Gary Reasons
2. Jim Plunkett

Eli Manning

Outside of among Giants' fans I don't think he was regarded as a star.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

markdmd

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Amani Toomer
Steve Smith
Antonio Pierce
Dave Meggett
David Diehl
Even Leonard Marshall who was a huge star in NY but was he thought of that way all over the league?

These two never had the chance to play in a 'big game, but for my money, I'd take them on my team anytime/

Spider Lockhart
Bob Tucker
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Lawrence Tynes
Chase Blackburn
Ahmad Bradshaw
Sam Madison
Ron Dixon
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

Ricky Proehl
Billy "White Shoes" Johnson
Ed McCaffrey
Lorenzo Neal
Rob Carpenter
Tony Hill
Chuck Muncie

Could probably name a few others but some on this list may be "borderline" stars at the NFL level, but I'm using HoF as my cutoff criteria. Carpenter was my only Giant although I could have named many others. The rest I would have loved to have been Giants in their respective careers; McCaffrey was drafted a Giant in 1991 and his release a bumbling move on Dan Reeves' account.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)