News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tom Brady has a theory as to why offenses are struggling

Started by MightyGiants, June 14, 2024, 12:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Some of us are old enough to remember when QBs had even more control - they were the play callers.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

The probability that Brady is wrong is nowhere near zero. lol
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bill Brown

Robert Kraft said last night that one of the reasons the Patriots were successful was Brady was willing to take less money so that they could have the money to pay other players to put around him to be successful. When Brady's agent came in to ask for the next contract amount, Kraft said he would like him to cut it by 30% so he could get better people to surround him and Brady agreed. He said Brady realized he could make up the difference in money by all the endorsements he could do.

T. Lawrence just signed the largest QB contract in history but it will have an impact on the talent they will be able to pay to help him out.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bill Brown on June 15, 2024, 08:45:15 AMRobert Kraft said last night that one of the reasons the Patriots were successful was Brady was willing to take less money so that they could have the money to pay other players to put around him to be successful. When Brady's agent came in to ask for the next contract amount, Kraft said he would like him to cut it by 30% so he could get better people to surround him and Brady agreed. He said Brady realized he could make up the difference in money by all the endorsements he could do.

T. Lawrence just signed the largest QB contract in history but it will have an impact on the talent they will be able to pay to help him out.

Bill

Good point. Big contrast with some of these other QBs of today, including Jones, who tried to use the impending tag deadline as a way to play a game of chicken with the Giants and get them to acquiesce to his lofty $47mm/yr asking price.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bill Brown on June 15, 2024, 08:45:15 AMRobert Kraft said last night that one of the reasons the Patriots were successful was Brady was willing to take less money so that they could have the money to pay other players to put around him to be successful. When Brady's agent came in to ask for the next contract amount, Kraft said he would like him to cut it by 30% so he could get better people to surround him and Brady agreed. He said Brady realized he could make up the difference in money by all the endorsements he could do.

Bill

In fairness to other QBs, not all QBs were married to women who make more money than they do.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Jason Garrett tried to develop Daniel Jones in those areas and nobody had any patience for it. Called it a Vanilla Offense. As it turns out he just doesn't have the aptitude for it as evidenced last season when Daboll took off the training wheels. Although, a better Offensive Line would have certainly helped. I expect to see some presnap from Jones and hopefully, some of those don't become the locked on disaster we have witnessed. Don't force the Hot Read fishing hook disguised to jump the route. The looking off the Safety as overstated as its been is really about bird dogging. I see his progressions high to low and a lot of Zone Coverage in quarters. As long as he can maintain a 2-1 TD to Int, Ill be happy with him being aggressive.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

He makes a VERY good point. I think giving free range to a QB can be attributed to Mahomes, and a little bit in Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson

I remember when the Cowboys ruled the NFL under Tom Landry. Landry had so much faith in Staubach, he basically let Staubach run the offense from the field. It was often said that Staubach's mind and Landrey's mind were so in sync, they were one and the same and Staubach was like having a HC and OC on the field making judgements on the fly

Brady's theory might also suggest that DJ has been over-coached from the sideline on game days. It seems to me that DJ is always trying to do EXACTLY what he's told to do inside his helmet speaker. QBs are not marionettes

Does anyone think that DJ is being coached to "use his own ideas on the field as he sees fit, in the moment"? I don't
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 15, 2024, 08:52:48 AMIn fairness to other QBs, not all QBs were married to women who make more money than they do.

Brady and Giselle had an iron-clad prenup. While it is fair to say her money benefited their joint lifestyle, it was never his money. They very much had their own money. Hence their divorce was a fairly easy one to quickly execute and finalize.

My point is, I'm not convinced that being temporarily married to Giselle influenced Brady's unselfishness in contract negotiations. I think he is a player who was willing to prioritize winning over going for max contract money.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 15, 2024, 09:04:23 AMBrady and Giselle had an iron-clad prenup. While it is fair to say her money benefited their joint lifestyle, it was never his money. They very much had their own money. Hence their divorce was a fairly easy one to quickly execute and finalize.

My point is, I'm not convinced that being temporarily married to Giselle influenced Brady's unselfishness in contract negotiations. I think he is a player who was willing to prioritize winning over going for max contract money.

They were married for 13 years (they got married in 2009).  While the prenup may lessen the argument to a degree, most players talk about earning generational wealth (being able to pass their wealth on to their family).  In terms of that goal, a prenup is essentially meaningless.  Tom could take less money, knowing his children would still benefit from the combination of his wealth and his wife's wealth (her net worth was twice that of Tom).  Plus, I have little doubt his wife's wealth helped to purchase the four homes the couple owned (again lessening Tom's need for money).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I dont know how football smart DJ is in being able to always understand the opposing defensive scheme/coverage/rush and being able to adjust to it.  Going to Duke means nothing to me in terms of this ability. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on June 15, 2024, 09:41:36 AMI dont know how football smart DJ is in being able to always understand the opposing defensive scheme/coverage/rush and being able to adjust to it.  Going to Duke means nothing to me in terms of this ability. 

Kafka has called Jones "smart".  His fellow QB and now QB coach Davis Webb called him "super smart."   Generally it's difficult to discern the FBI (football intelligence) of most NFL QBs.  I will say, though, that we have received more positive indicators for DJ's FBI than we have heard negative (which seems to come mostly from the fanbase).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 15, 2024, 09:52:28 AMKafka has called Jones "smart".  His fellow QB and now QB coach Davis Webb called him "super smart."  Generally it's difficult to discern the FBI (football intelligence) of most NFL QBs.  I will say, though, that we have received more positive indicators for DJ's FBI than we have heard negative (which seems to come mostly from the fanbase).

As far as the Giants go, it's true that the Jones criticism comes more from the fanbase than coaches and front office people, because the latter work for the organization and don't always speak their minds publicly.

A fairer and more objective way to gauge how the rest of the professional football community views Jones is to look at evidence such as the annual poll conducted by the Athletic that asks 50 NFL GMs, head coaches, coordinators, and other executives to rate the QBs and make anonymous comments about them. In exercises like these, you get an agenda-free, unbiased analysis of the talent in the league from high ranking professional NFL employees who are infinitely more qualified than any fan is to make these judgments and don't have the inherent bias or agenda that any Giants coach, front office guy, or ex player local media shill speaking publicly is going to have.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 15, 2024, 09:13:25 AMThey were married for 13 years (they got married in 2009).  While the prenup may lessen the argument to a degree, most players talk about earning generational wealth (being able to pass their wealth on to their family).  In terms of that goal, a prenup is essentially meaningless.  Tom could take less money, knowing his children would still benefit from the combination of his wealth and his wife's wealth (her net worth was twice that of Tom).  Plus, I have little doubt his wife's wealth helped to purchase the four homes the couple owned (again lessening Tom's need for money).

Every top 10-15 QB makes "generational wealth".  I think it is about ego, not generational wealth.  It is the old game of "money is how you keep score".

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll