News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are you expecting from Kayvon Thibodeaux this season?

Started by DaveBrown74, June 14, 2024, 07:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

Thibs is slightly above average NFL talent.  Good enough to play a lot but seldom a difference maker.

A bust considering where he was drafted.  We got a few of those on this team which is why I vote for trading out of the first round every year.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

BluesCruz

Im not going to blame Wink for anything.  If he dropped This int coverage, he still had 11.5 sacks?

Without Wink we might have been easily the worst team in the NFL

This new guy has big shoes to step into

Personally I would have sent Daboll packing and elevated Wink to HC....if it had to be one or the other
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Quote from: Giant Obsession on June 16, 2024, 10:20:27 AMThibs is slightly above average NFL talent.  Good enough to play a lot but seldom a difference maker.

A bust considering where he was drafted.  We got a few of those on this team which is why I vote for trading out of the first round every year.
I'm almost 100% sure that your opinion of him will change drastically this upcoming season. When was the last time we even had a doubled digit sack guy of which Thibs was last year. I don't think anyone that gets 11 sacks in their second season should be called a bust especially considering how many times wink had him in coverage vs actually going for the passer.

DaveBrown74

I think calling Thibs a bust is exttremely harsh, myself. I can agree that he has been somewhat underwhelming relative to being taken 5th overall, but "somewhat underwhelming" after two seasons is not the same thing as being a bust.

Neal is the guy from that draft who is a bust (so far at least). Not Thibs in my opinion.

Thibs was a double digit sack guy in his second year in the NFL. I appreciate there are other areas of development in his game, but double digit sacks is still double digit sacks. Not one of LT, Strahan, Tuck, or Umeniyora did that. So to me at least, the term "bust" is a bit premature to say the least.

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on June 15, 2024, 04:15:57 PMLooking back, Wink's defenses in Baltimore were never outstanding in sacks, INTS, run stopping, red zone.  Where they were exceptional was opponent passer rating and the all important points yielded.  It's a curious combination, but the special sauce might be that Baltimore was always at or near the top in TOP, and that wasn't because of 3&outs or takeaways it was because Baltimore had a ball control offense that led the league in rushing attempts every year Wink was there.  And in his final year even the things his defense had been good at, including scoring defense, fell off the cliff.

What may be a sign of hope for us though, is the fact that after he left Baltimore's defense improved in a lot of categories.  May it be so for the Giants.

I think we tend to get over-enthusiastic about new coaches, particularly if they have a hook.  Wink, Coach Chaos, (both of whom are out of the NFL after their stints with the Giants) etc.  And a whole line of OL coaches who were regarded as saviors.

Mike Lombardi always like to say the less a defense has to player the easier it it for them
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: 4 Aces on June 15, 2024, 10:43:54 AMI'm expecting big things.

If you go back to his Oregon days which made him a top 5 pick, he was playing a 43 RDE role. Hand in the dirt pass rusher.

Then he gets drafted into Wink's whacky scheme (a "positionless" defense) where he's just an "O" filling a gap.

He was never good value for Wink's scheme. It's no secret the Giants wanted Sauce Gardner, with the amount of cover 0 Wink plays. When they couldn't get Sauce, they pivoted to Thibs - but ER's are not prioritized in his scheme so he wasn't able to showcase his special ability. How many times did we see him dropping into coverage, working out of a 2 pt. stance, taking an exaggerated looping rush to contain the QB etc.? Wink's pressures are manufactured and he can use anybody to do it.

If you notice, Wink talked up Thibs after he was drafted, but Schoen mentioned one of the things he learned from Parcells in Miami was not drafting scheme-specific players. (Because schemes change.) Knowing what we know of Wink & Schoen now, the Thibs pick seems like Schoen sticking to positional value at 5, and ignoring the lack of mesh with Wink's philosophy. They were quick to "throw Wink a bone" next draft and use the #1 on Deonte Banks.

Summary: The Giants haven't optimized the value out of that #5 overall pick, but they might now, with Bowen's more traditional approach. The front 4 will be expected to provide the pass rush, and Thibs will be attacking off the edge like a DE. Wink's scheme is player-simple and requires no thinking. Thibs is a cerebral, creative football player who I think will thrive in a more cerebral scheme.

Okereke and Burns talked about this recently. The Giants have some high IQ players on D, particularly in the front 7. Dexter. Thibs. Burns. Okereke. Even Simmons. Let these guys use their instincts and ability to breakdown their opponent a little bit more.
Dude, this is excellent!  =D>  =D>  =D>

This post alone got me stupid hyped for the season!!!  :Chestram:  :boldblue:  :nanner:  :goteam:  :cheers:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

nb587

With Dex and Burns, I don't think Thibs will see the double teaming he saw last year. Should help his production. 

Painter

Is there even a possibility that someone could answer that question without personal bias? About the best any of us might do regarding an "expectation" would be to suggest a benefit, liability, or no change based on an anticipated difference in the scheme and/or talent around him which at best is also wishful thought, one way or another. That said, I would lean toward "better"

Cheers!

BluesCruz

Im expecting 15 sacks and 5 forced fumbles from Thibs

Jclayton92

Quote from: nb587 on June 17, 2024, 09:31:43 AMWith Dex and Burns, I don't think Thibs will see the double teaming he saw last year. Should help his production. 
And having the 2nd best MLB in the NFL near him in this alignment should hide some of the run defending deficiencies.

TONKA56

I don't care as much about raw numbers as much as I'd like to see him have a much greater impact in big games i.e. vs divisional opponents i.e. Dallas and Philadelphia.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 16, 2024, 11:54:02 AMI think calling Thibs a bust is exttremely harsh, myself. I can agree that he has been somewhat underwhelming relative to being taken 5th overall, but "somewhat underwhelming" after two seasons is not the same thing as being a bust.

Neal is the guy from that draft who is a bust (so far at least). Not Thibs in my opinion.

Thibs was a double digit sack guy in his second year in the NFL. I appreciate there are other areas of development in his game, but double digit sacks is still double digit sacks. Not one of LT, Strahan, Tuck, or Umeniyora did that. So to me at least, the term "bust" is a bit premature to say the least.

How could Neal look so good in college and so terrible as a pro?  Shows its a heavy lift to go from college to the NFL- Bigger, Stronger, Faster opponents.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 19, 2024, 07:54:01 AMHow could Neal look so good in college and so terrible as a pro? 

Happens all the time. Usually OTs taken in the top 10 don't bust this badly, but it does happen. Not the first time and it won't be the last.

babywhales

Set the edge
Control the run game
Develop 2 solid moves to use against top tackles 
14-16 sacks 
Increased overall  tackles 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Trench

Quote from: babywhales on June 19, 2024, 10:02:27 PMSet the edge
Control the run game
Develop 2 solid moves to use against top tackles
14-16 sacks
Increased overall  tackles

If he does that he will make the Pro Bowl and we will be very pleased.

I would add - become a true fan favorite by making his biggest plays on 3rd down as the Giants Stadium is shaking!