News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF ranks the Giants center 26th

Started by MightyGiants, June 15, 2024, 06:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 15, 2024, 12:02:21 PMThere must be other upper body strength testing than just bench reps at the combine though, no?

That is really the only standard and available direct measure of strength.  Teams no doubt quiz prospects and college staffs for things like how much the squat or maybe deadlift.   Beyond that, scouts view the game tape to gauge their functional on field strength.  If memory serves, the book on JMS coming out was he wasn't the biggest, strongest, or most athletic (although he wasn't deficient), but he was smart, hard working, and high character.   As mentioned, he was a high floor, modest ceiling type.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

This discussion reminds me a bit of the Weston Richburg discussions as he was going into his second year. Granted, Richburg was playing out of position as a rookie. But he was also limited against stronger players and wasn't a particularly high ceiling guy. Still, he made a pretty big leap in year 2 and was an above average player for the Giants for a couple years before all the injures. I'm hoping JMS makes a similar jump this season. This team can't afford to have both Neal and JMS bust.

Jolly Blue Giant

If upper body strength was a good measure, Mitch Petrus would have replaced O'Hara, Diehl, or Snee in a heartbeat. Petrus was the poster child for "strong offensive guard". Not sure if he ever saw the field, despite pleas from thousands of fans. That's because O'Hara, Diehl, Snee, were "football smart" and knew how to leverage and out think their opponent. Petrus, not so much

When it comes to offensive linemen, it's what's between the ears that sifts the wheat from the chaff
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 15, 2024, 12:37:22 PMIf upper body strength was a good measure, Mitch Petrus would have replaced O'Hara, Diehl, or Snee in a heartbeat. Petrus was the poster child for "strong offensive guard". Not sure if he ever saw the field, despite pleas from thousands of fans. That's because O'Hara, Diehl, Snee, were "football smart" and knew how to leverage and out think their opponent. Petrus, not so much

When it comes to offensive linemen, it's what's between the ears that sifts the wheat from the chaff
Upper body strength alone is useless. But when you don't have it, it becomes a chink in your armor. The bigger stronger DTs will just keep bull rushing you and blowing up the pocket, forcing the offense to double team which creates mismatched elsewhere. Lack of functional strength is a huge liability on the IOL.

y_so_blu

Pretty darned bad. I'm getting heartburn just from reading this article in which he is ranked 26th.

This doesn't make him a bust...yet. It was his first season and the guard positions on either side of him were disastrous. There was also this nugget about the Giants being "the second-worst offensive line in NFL history, allowing 85 sacks which led to the injury of all three quarterbacks."

I knew we were bad, but not second-worst all-time bad.

Philosophers

Tyler Linderbaum is a good one to discuss/compare.  In college he was 290 and many people here said he would get manhandled by stronger NFL DL.  He put on like 10 more pounds, got stronger but used his great wrestling background to optimize leverage and in year 1 in the NFL was good and is considered ine of the best centers.  What can JMS learn from that?

BluesCruz

between Schmitz and Evans, we have a lot of ground to make up

a lot of draft capstal used on these two

who is picking these 
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Schmitz and Neal were regarding as the best prospects at their position in the draft, not like there was huge question marks coming out about them.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 16, 2024, 07:03:43 PMSchmitz and Neal were regarding as the best prospects at their position in the draft, not like there was huge question marks coming out about them.

There were questions about Neal's balance (which is not a minor issue for offensive linemen) coming out.  JMS was clean, with the biggest question being his ceiling
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 17, 2024, 07:52:37 AMThere were questions about Neal's balance (which is not a minor issue for offensive linemen) coming out.  JMS was clean, with the biggest question being his ceiling
I remember because I was a bigger fan of Ekwonu than Neal, but I was just saying that the selection of Neal was universally praised as a great pick.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 17, 2024, 01:02:10 PMI remember because I was a bigger fan of Ekwonu than Neal, but I was just saying that the selection of Neal was universally praised as a great pick.

I agree, Neal was considered the best or one of the best coming out, despite the concerns.   The Giants got nothing but praise for the pick
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE