News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Contract details for the new CB signing

Started by MightyGiants, June 15, 2024, 08:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Can't ask for cheaper. Not bad for a healthy 28 year old veteran with better than a 70 PFF grade last year. I doubt he'll be some big contributor, but he adds some depth and he's practically free.

I would also add that one thing Schoen has done a very good job with so far is the smaller ticket defensive back acquisitions. Pinnock and Morreau are good examples of this.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 15, 2024, 08:40:19 AMCan't ask for cheaper. Not bad for a healthy 28 year old veteran with better than a 70 PFF grade last year. I doubt he'll be some big contributor, but he adds some depth and he's practically free.

I would also add that one thing Schoen has done a very good job with so far is the smaller ticket defensive back acquisitions. Pinnock and Morreau are good examples of this.

Pinnock was a last cut-down waiver wire pickup from the Jets.  That year, the Jets were overloading their roster to the point where they were forced to cut serviceable players to get down to their 53.   Schoen was fortunate that the Giants were high on the waiver wire at that point (5th)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 15, 2024, 08:57:16 AMPinnock was a last cut-down waiver wire pickup from the Jets.  That year, the Jets were overloading their roster to the point where they were forced to cut serviceable players to get down to their 53.   Schoen was fortunate that the Giants were high on the waiver wire at that point (5th)

They're high again this year too I believe. This is why it seems sensible to hang on to the money from the Waller retirement and see what is availalbe later this summer. And there's no pressure to use it even then, as they can roll it.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 15, 2024, 09:00:23 AMThey're high again this year too I believe. This is why it seems sensible to hang on to the money from the Waller retirement and see what is availalbe later this summer. And there's no pressure to use it even then, as they can roll it.
With the amount of IR and practice squad we have it probably makes sense to hold the money.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 15, 2024, 08:34:55 AMhttps://x.com/DDuggan21/status/1801947540356809106

That sounds excellent.  Although you wonder why other teams didn't go after him and drive up the price.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on June 15, 2024, 03:47:29 PMThat sounds excellent.  Although you wonder why other teams didn't go after him and drive up the price.

Rich,

That's always a question at this stage of the game.  It's possible he thought he was worth more than this, and no team met his asking price, and now he was settling for a lesser deal.  He certainly seems like the sort of serviceable CB most teams wouldn't mind having on their roster
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE