News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Athletic has the Giants going OVER their projected 6.5 win total

Started by DaveBrown74, June 15, 2024, 02:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

From The Athletic:

New York Giants
Over 6.5 (+120)

The Giants were not surprised that Darren Waller retired this week. And probably not that upset about it either, as injuries and maybe some focus issues rendered Waller less than the dominant tight end he was with the Raiders. The Giants also probably got a chuckle when some people thought Drew Lock was brought in to take Daniel Jones' job. Jones is not that bad, people. He will be able to get the ball to Malik Nabers. And Brian Daboll didn't suddenly forget how to coach last season when the Giants disappointed many and fell from 9-7-1 to 6-11.

This is a great bounce-back spot, and a defense led by Dexter Lawrence II and Kayvon Thibodeaux will be much better with the addition of Brian Burns.

For those who have a subscription, here is the whole article:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5556274/2024/06/14/nfl-win-totals-bets-predictions-2024/

MightyGiants

If I had to bet, I would take the over.  I have a feeling that this team will exceed expectations.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

One of the guys on the Rich Eisen podcast this week had the Giants at 11 regular season wins and I might agree with that

Baring injury

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 15, 2024, 02:50:45 PMIf I had to bet, I would take the over.  I have a feeling that this team will exceed expectations.

I don't have a strong view on this one either way myself. 6.5 is not that much, so I could see them going over potentially. I don't think Jones is as bad as he played last year, but he's also coming off a serious injury so we really don't know what he'll look like. We did add some enticing pieces, but we also lost a few. The schedule seems middle of the road to me.

Since we went 9-7-1 with a team that I wouldn't say was much better than this one, I hardly think 7 wins is impossible. However there are also multiple paths I could see to 4-6 wins.

Gun to my head I'd probably put us at 7-10 this year, so if I had to bet this I'd probably take the over as well, but it would not be with the very high conviction.

Philosophers

We all know what will determine it — play of DJ, pass blocking of OL and injuries.

BluesCruz

DJ has a very long neck as did Peyton Manning

Both suffered serious neck trauma

I would suggest neck strengthening weight lifting

MightyGiants

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 16, 2024, 10:39:40 AMDJ has a very long neck as did Peyton Manning

Both suffered serious neck trauma

I would suggest neck strengthening weight lifting

As much as I am not a fan of the Giants medical staff, I would be shocked if they haven't worked to strengthen his neck
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 16, 2024, 11:47:55 AMAs much as I am not a fan of the Giants medical staff, I would be shocked if they haven't worked to strengthen his neck

Yeah

I was at a bar/club in orange nj called dodd's in my younger days one night
in walked practically the entire oakland raiders team

what made them stand out was their necks all looked like oak trees.  necks that  were pyramid shaped

I can't believe Jones is doing the same kind of neck lifting those guys obviously were

I can't recall ever seeing such necks on any ordinary citizens

it would not hurt for him to bulk up his neck if thats posssible
also posible back in 1972 those guys were pumped with steroids

He has an unusually long neck

uconnjack8

spiderblue43

Maybe DJ goes to the old school horseshoe collar for protection?  <:-P

Success will depend mostly on the OL and having functionality..especially in the red zone. Think the defense can be an effective group.