News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

For LennG

Started by AZGiantFan, June 15, 2024, 07:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

I saw this video clip, and knowing what a student of the baseball rules you are I thought you might find this interesting.

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

LennG

Thanks for the clip and it was a very unusual play.

Just my observation, the 1st base umpire, in real-time, probably thought the runner had touched the bag. If he missed it by an inch, that is hard to see, that's probably why he was called safe by the umpire. I can't blame him for something that was picked up on replay. Bad coaching from the defense as they gave up a run that never should have happened.

I have seen similar plays in my time, and it does take a very sharp manager to capitalize on these chances. Most common that I have seen. Man on 2nd and the batter singles. The runner scores but he misses 3rd base. The coach at 3rd saw this and he wanted the run, knowing that the runner would be called out on appeal. So he tells the guy at 1st to just take off, knowing if they make a play on him, they cannot appeal the missed base. Smart coaching.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

AZGiantFan

Quote from: LennG on June 15, 2024, 08:15:32 PMThanks for the clip and it was a very unusual play.

Just my observation, the 1st base umpire, in real-time, probably thought the runner had touched the bag. If he missed it by an inch, that is hard to see, that's probably why he was called safe by the umpire. I can't blame him for something that was picked up on replay. Bad coaching from the defense as they gave up a run that never should have happened.

I have seen similar plays in my time, and it does take a very sharp manager to capitalize on these chances. Most common that I have seen. Man on 2nd and the batter singles. The runner scores but he misses 3rd base. The coach at 3rd saw this and he wanted the run, knowing that the runner would be called out on appeal. So he tells the guy at 1st to just take off, knowing if they make a play on him, they cannot appeal the missed base. Smart coaching.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Lenn.  The one part that puzzled me was when they said that the first baseman mishandling and not catching the appeal toss somehow kept the appeal window open.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll