News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Worst case this year

Started by ralphpal1, June 15, 2024, 08:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphpal1

Would it be good or bad to make the.playoffs
Like 2 years ago
Win the first game
Get.blown out the 2nd game
D jones stats
18 tds
5 td running

Philosophers

Quote from: ralphpal1 on June 15, 2024, 08:21:37 PMWould it be good or bad to make the.playoffs
Like 2 years ago
Win the first game
D jones stats
18 tds
5 td running

If they do that and DJ gets sacked 60+ times, I'd feel good.  If DJ gets sacked only 33 times and produces those stats I'd say no and we need a new QB.

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on June 15, 2024, 08:48:44 PMIf they do that and DJ gets sacked 60+ times, I'd feel good.  If DJ gets sacked only 33 times and produces those stats I'd say no and we need a new QB.

Joe, your comments suggest sacks are solely caused by poor blocking, and the QB is merely a victim?  I typically agree with you; so, I would appreciate your thoughts. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: ralphpal1 on June 15, 2024, 08:21:37 PMWould it be good or bad to make the.playoffs
Like 2 years ago
Win the first game
D jones stats
18 tds
5 td running

Depends on what side you are on I think. Longterm I think we are a year maybe two away from truly competing every season and us making the playoffs would make that take longer. For the Giants fan base, as a team etc I think it would be huge after last year, and the last several years.

Longterm it sets us back, short term it is much needed but it really depends on how Jones performs and what we do at the position. If he's elite and we don't need to draft anyone then we are ahead, if we do need to draft someone and win this season that makes it harder.

I know I'll be rooting for us to win every game. It is actually a really exciting time for us with so many young guys, if all or a lot of the young guys take steps like McFadden and pinnock did last season then I think we will still be excited about the future even if we are barely losing games.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kingm56 on June 15, 2024, 09:01:40 PMJoe, your comments suggest sacks are solely caused by poor blocking, and the QB is merely a victim?  I typically agree with you; so, I would appreciate your thoughts. 

The fact that the other QBs got sacked at about the same rate as DJ suggests the problem was an OL issue, not a QB issue, IMO.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Philosophers

Quote from: kingm56 on June 15, 2024, 09:01:40 PMJoe, your comments suggest sacks are solely caused by poor blocking, and the QB is merely a victim?  I typically agree with you; so, I would appreciate your thoughts. 
Quote from: kingm56 on June 15, 2024, 09:01:40 PMJoe, your comments suggest sacks are solely caused by poor blocking, and the QB is merely a victim?  I typically agree with you; so, I would appreciate

I believe QBs usually call out the right blocking and coverage schemes they see but do get them wrong sometimes which can cause sacks.  At the end of the day, I think most sacks are the fault of the blocker as it means he/they failed to sustain their block.

MightyGiants

PFF has a metric where they assign a percentage of sacks for which the quarterback at least shares some of the blame.  If I filter 2023 for 20% to eliminate QBs with very few snaps like Rodgers and Richarson, DJ was 6th highest with 20%.  What I found interesting is that QBs with greater percentages included Russel Wilson, Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, and Josh Allen.  Not sure what to make of that.

As for 2022 DJ was 13th with 16.7%

Note: Offensive players may share responsibility for an allowed pressure (e.g. Defender splits a double-team).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE