News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

T20 World Cup

Started by EDjohnst1981, June 16, 2024, 10:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

Has this tournament (cricket) even registered in the US?

I know you've hosted games in Dallas and NY - and you caused a massive shock by beating Pakistan.

USA have done really well to qualify for the next stage but I was wondering if there's any interest at all in America.

DaveBrown74

Ed,

Cricket is a sport that I'd say almost all Americans have little to no interest in or knowledge about. Americans are far more into soccer than cricket, as I'm sure you well know, and I would say they are more into rugby than cricket (with rugby being much less than soccer).

During my time in the UK, I knew (and still know) plenty of guys who were not just somewhat into cricket but were passionate about it. Those same guys had zero interest in baseball. BTW I also know plenty of Brits who love American football, including a handful, like yourself, who are incredibly knowledgeable about it.

I have never met a Brit who knows much at all about baseball, except for one guy I know who lived in the US for 10 years, and even his knowledge is pretty light compared to his knowledge of American football.

Bottom line: I just don't think there is much cricket interest in the US. You virtually never see it on TV, almost no American knows the rules beyond the very basics (and many don't even know the basics), and it just doesn't come up much in conversation. I think it's a pretty similar situation to baseball in the UK.

EDjohnst1981

Yeah, that's basically how I view the situation. Very akin to baseball over here.

Was very surprised to see the governing body trying to concur America by having the tournament partly there.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on June 16, 2024, 01:03:19 PMYeah, that's basically how I view the situation. Very akin to baseball over here.

Was very surprised to see the governing body trying to concur America by having the tournament partly there.

I will confess I have not followed this at all. You have gotten me somewhat curious though. I am going to look into it a little bit now. Thanks for flagging it.

Jolly Blue Giant

Good points. I think the ONLY American sport that every country is into, is basketball. It is everywhere in the world

American football is taking hold, but doesn't hold a candle to International football (soccer). Baseball has done better in the world than American football. It's the number one game in Central America, Valenzuela, and especially Japan. In Japan, it's the country's favorite sport, even out-drawing Sumo wrestling. Baseball is like a religion in Japan. I spent 10 days in Japan, and one day I was walking back to my hotel in Tokyo when everyone was returning from work in their white shirts and ties. I ran into a group of about 20 men and women blocking the sidewalk as they were staring inside a store window. My interest piqued, I had to see what was in there that was so interesting. Turned out to be a small television broadcasting a baseball game. Every Japanese in that country knows baseball rules better than most Americans, and they have their heroes just like we do. In fact, they even copy American uniform styles and even use only English spellings in the team's names and uniforms, even though English is understood by a very tiny portion of the public. Their enthusiasm for the game is like it used to be in the U.S. in the first half of the 20th Century. And even though they are passionate about the game - loud and rowdy, they are very polite. If you want a pint of beer, you hand money to the person next to you, who passes it along to the aisle. Then they pass the beer through multiple hands back to you including the change

Does this uniform look familiar:

Yomiuri Giants (Tokyo)

See if you can recognize any other American team from these Japanese uniforms

I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 16, 2024, 01:07:38 PMI will confess I have not followed this at all. You have gotten me somewhat curious though. I am going to look into it a little bit now. Thanks for flagging it.

Second round starts tomorrow/Mondsy. Two groups of 4 teams, top 2 make the semis. USA are in the same group as England.

LennG

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on June 16, 2024, 01:39:46 PMSecond round starts tomorrow/Mondsy. Two groups of 4 teams, top 2 make the semis. USA are in the same group as England.

We had this cricket tourny right in my backyard, literally 10 minutes from where I live. They closed roads, people everywhere and for the basic NYer it was horrible. But someone must have made a bunch of this.

Years ago, on a cruise, I met a Brit who was following the championship match between his team and someone. He tried to explain the game to me but I just could not comprehend how they stop for tea in the middle of a match and one team can stay at bat for days.
Anyway his team won the championship and you never saw someone so happy. He was buying drinks for anyone and everyone.
My experience with cricket.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss