News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I Don't Think We Realize What The Giants Are Doing..

Started by MightyGiants, June 19, 2024, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 20, 2024, 11:42:52 AMFrom what I have witnessed over the years the teams that become contenders often see players who were just sort of okay, suddenly playing better. 
Rich: We definitely have more than our fair share of players who are "just sort of okay" so we're as ready for lightning to strike as any other team in the league. lol
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

spiderblue43

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 20, 2024, 12:44:32 PMThe guy who said its all up to the Oline was right on the money

No Oline NO Chanse-y.  I am terrified of another year of Evan Neal working out the issues on the field.  He should be a sub until he vindicates himself

I did..but hardly the only one. JMS has a lot to prove too being so dismal, not just Neal.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on June 20, 2024, 12:52:42 AMWe suffer from fan-colored glasses.  We (not just you) think we had a good off season but ESPN gave it a C+.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/40352152/nfl-offseason-grades-2024-free-agency-draft-trades-extensions-coaching-changes

(it is behind the espn+ paywall.

I don't agree with their take on the Burns move.

First off, their statement that the Giants spent draft capital to upgrade "one of their only strengths - maybe their only strength" makes little sense to me.

I assume they're referring to our pass rush? If so, how was that a strength last year? We were 29th in the league in total sacks. So the team that was the fourth worst in the league at getting home against opposing QBs going after a premium edge rusher doesn't make sense? Huh?

Secondly, their claim that they gave up a premium draft pick to sign "a" player despite not being close to contention, while not technically inaccurate, kind of misses the mark. Burns just turned 26 a couple months ago. Ok fine, he's not 22, but this is not a situation where they brought in some 31 year old because they're going for it this season and they're pushing all their chips in to try to get them over the top. At 26, and as a guy who has been very healthy so far in his career, Burns is still young enough to be a foundational player on this team. He's certainly worthy of a second round pick (the Panthers turned down two firsts for him a year earlier) and a big contract.

Would it have been better if we had Burns at age 22 or 23 on a rookie contract? Sure it would. But that doesn't mean what the Giants did was not smart or not a good deal.

I also don't see why ESPN is somehow the authority on this topic. PFF gave them a B+ for their offseason.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-offseason-grades-for-all-32-nfl-teams

I'm not saying one is right and the other is wrong, but I do not believe it is some consensus out there that the Giants didn't have a good offseason.

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 20, 2024, 11:42:52 AMFrom what I have witnessed over the years the teams that become contenders often see players who were just sort of okay, suddenly playing better.  Usually, a few stars (and a quality HC) kickstart things, but suddenly, you are seeing better from a good number of players. 

As Bob said, most teams have potential.  Plus, I have heard many inciteful commentators talk about how most players' talent levels are very similar. 

This is one of the best posts this off season. I couldn't agree more. Ya never know when and who will begin to see things slow down. If one guy in particular can do that then look out. I also agree with the fact Elemanuer was such an excellent addition to the Oline and everything I read about his appreciation for being here makes me extremely ecstatic to watch and root for the guy. This new TE is gonna be good also.

Lastly, I believe Brian Dabol is "tanned and rested" as they used to say about Billy Martin. He looks great, seems calmer (think Coughlin leadership council), and it appears he is going to call plays.