News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I Don't Think We Realize What The Giants Are Doing..

Started by MightyGiants, June 19, 2024, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GloryDays

WOW.. I know all fans are optimistic about their teams in the offseason, but watching that video, I am psyched up about this team's potential, at least on paper.
Thanks for sharing Rich.

DaveBrown74

Definitely an optimistic take, but I do think the Giants had a good offseason. There are some things to be excited about. Having a legit pass rush again is one. Having an aerial playmaker of the caliber of Nabers is another. I still think we are held back by some clear gaps and some big question marks, but I am pretty happy with what Schoen has done with this offseason.

GloryDays

My only concern, as it has been for years, is the O line... just asking for average, but no less.

4 Aces

Recency bias is a powerful force.

I remember how darn excited I was after the 2022 season. The Giants picked up Darren Waller and Parris Campbell, Neal in year 2, Hyatt & Schmitz in the draft. We were going to light it up. Then all hell broke loose.

You can't overreact to last year. How things played out was so ridiculous, it makes it tough to evaluate anything. The best I can do is remind myself how optimistic I was after 2022, plus Nabers, Wan'dale, a better-looking OL & Daboll calling the plays.

Burns-Dex-Thibs is the best DL we've had in a long time. Probably 2016.

The wind has been knocked out of my sails with this team (I still can't believe that 40-0 game) but I also think they could be flying under the radar. I see a talented core at the right positions. And it's year 3 for Schoen. These are all his players. I expect results now.

PSUBeirut

I just can't do it.   They've hammered the optimism out of me with relentless force.  I'm not negative....I'm not positive....I'm in full-on wait and see what happens mode and will probably always be there until things legitimately get turned around.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: PSUBeirut on June 19, 2024, 07:47:17 PMI just can't do it.  They've hammered the optimism out of me with relentless force.  I'm not negative....I'm not positive....I'm in full-on wait and see what happens mode and will probably always be there until things legitimately get turned around.

I think this is a very sensible and reasonable stance.

Hoping for the best, but not expecting anything either way. This is basically how I feel. There are too many question marks for me to feel genuinely optimistic about this team, but I am willing to be open minded and just wait until I see what they put on the field in the regular season.

And not before that. I'm not going to buy into the annual click-bait tweet parade of "Jones looked great in camp today" or "Neal holding up nicely in bull rush drills against Thibodeaux." I know others like to do that, and they should continue to do so if that's how they like to fan during the summer, but after a decade of darkness I just need to see how they look in games that count. Until then I have no idea what they'll be. I bought into the preseason hype last summer, and it could not have been more misguided. I won't be doing that again. I'd much rather take an agnostic view and potentially be pleasantly surprised. Until they show me otherwise in real games, they remain a not good team.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 19, 2024, 04:14:40 PMDefinitely an optimistic take, but I do think the Giants had a good offseason. There are some things to be excited about. Having a legit pass rush again is one. Having an aerial playmaker of the caliber of Nabers is another. I still think we are held back by some clear gaps and some big question marks, but I am pretty happy with what Schoen has done with this offseason.

We suffer from fan-colored glasses.  We (not just you) think we had a good off season but ESPN gave it a C+.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/40352152/nfl-offseason-grades-2024-free-agency-draft-trades-extensions-coaching-changes

(it is behind the espn+ paywall.

QuoteNew York Giants: C+
Biggest move: Trading for edge rusher Brian Burns
Move I liked: Signing OL Jermaine Eluemunor and Jon Runyan
Move I disliked: The cost of trading and extending Burns

The Giants' biggest splash was their trade and ensuing contract for Burns. It was a curious choice, as the Giants spent a lot of capital to upgrade one of their only strengths -- maybe their only strength. And they did it at a time when they don't appear close to contention. As good of a player as Burns is, they traded a premium draft pick for the right to pay top money to a player.

The Giants are hamstrung by their Daniel Jones contract error a year ago, when they guaranteed the quarterback $80 million with the franchise tag available. That didn't preclude them from going after another quarterback -- they tried to trade up to pick Drake Maye -- but once they failed to make that move, I think it was OK to pass on the second tier of rookie QBs.

I like the more under-the-radar free agent signings of Eluemunor and Runyan, who should help the offensive line. On the other hand, fully guaranteeing $9.5 million to running back Devin Singletary seemed unnecessary. The loss of safety Xavier McKinney stings but at least the Giants are likely to receive a fourth-round compensatory pick for him.

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

Quote from: AZGiantFan on June 20, 2024, 12:52:42 AMWe suffer from fan-colored glasses.

AZRich: The guys who made the video did an A+ job of presenting the best-case scenario without lying to us.

THEY don't suffer from fan-colored glasses. The final sentence of the presentation is worded truthfully.

I transcribed and footnoted it (eliminating unnecessary words) and highlighted the qualifying language he used to show that the prediction is not a prediction at all; in the final analysis, it's a statement that likely can be made about just about any team in the NFL almost every year:

"When you pair a defensive line that is going to be ABLE* to stop the run and get after the passer at a consistent rate with a secondary that has a TON OF POTENTIAL**, you're going to see A LOT OF SUCCESS***, and when you pair that with an offense that I think is going to be a top-half offense with all things considered, this team is going to be a sleeper contender IF PEOPLE DON'T START TAKING NOTICE****..."

* Being "able" and having potential are the same thing (see next note).
** A "ton of potential" is present on every team. It's how close you come to meeting your potential that determines success in the NFL.
*** Every team enjoys "a lot of success" every week, but each team also experiences a lot of failure. It's the team that has just a bit more timely success and a bit less crucial failure than their opponent that wins NFL games each week.
**** I contend that "if people don't start taking notice" is either completely meaningless or completely useless, since the purpose of the video was to "take notice" of the Giants' potential and possibilities (so the condition negating the whole sentence has already been met - lol.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

Bob, are you sure you're not a clandestine professor at a college teaching a class on logic? Or is it just the nature of being a lawyer that gives you the ability to breakdown and summarize complexity into meaningful points. Nice "closing statement" BTW
:hmm:
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

spiderblue43

Not reaching for JJ, drafting Nabers was a major plus. Burns should impact the D-another welcome move.

But the 2nd and 3rd players have got to step up, and I'm not at all convinced their OL line won't collapse again.

The season is riding on them to stay relatively healthy and efficient, especially in the red zone. We'll see is the best I can offer.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 20, 2024, 09:01:39 AMBob, are you sure you're not a clandestine professor at a college teaching a class on logic? Or is it just the nature of being a lawyer that gives you the ability to breakdown and summarize complexity into meaningful points. Nice "closing statement" BTW
:hmm:

=))
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 20, 2024, 07:15:57 AMAZRich: The guys who made the video did an A+ job of presenting the best-case scenario without lying to us.

THEY don't suffer from fan-colored glasses. The final sentence of the presentation is worded truthfully.

I transcribed and footnoted it (eliminating unnecessary words) and highlighted the qualifying language he used to show that the prediction is not a prediction at all; in the final analysis, it's a statement that likely can be made about just about any team in the NFL almost every year:

"When you pair a defensive line that is going to be ABLE* to stop the run and get after the passer at a consistent rate with a secondary that has a TON OF POTENTIAL**, you're going to see A LOT OF SUCCESS***, and when you pair that with an offense that I think is going to be a top-half offense with all things considered, this team is going to be a sleeper contender IF PEOPLE DON'T START TAKING NOTICE****..."

* Being "able" and having potential are the same thing (see next note).
** A "ton of potential" is present on every team. It's how close you come to meeting your potential that determines success in the NFL.
*** Every team enjoys "a lot of success" every week, but each team also experiences a lot of failure. It's the team that has just a bit more timely success and a bit less crucial failure than their opponent that wins NFL games each week.
**** I contend that "if people don't start taking notice" is either completely meaningless or completely useless, since the purpose of the video was to "take notice" of the Giants' potential and possibilities (so the condition negating the whole sentence has already been met - lol.

Bob

From what I have witnessed over the years the teams that become contenders often see players who were just sort of okay, suddenly playing better.  Usually, a few stars (and a quality HC) kickstart things, but suddenly, you are seeing better from a good number of players. 

As Bob said, most teams have potential.  Plus, I have heard many inciteful commentators talk about how most players' talent levels are very similar. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Tis the season for optimism, from Carolina to Arizona. All are wowing their fans.

BluesCruz

The guy who said its all up to the Oline was right on the money

No Oline NO Chanse-y.  I am terrified of another year of Evan Neal working out the issues on the field.  He should be a sub until he vindicates himself
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"