News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does Tommy Devito make the 53 man roster?

Started by MightyGiants, June 20, 2024, 07:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does Tommy Devito make the 53 man roster?

No, he will be placed on the PS
No, the Giants will try to put him on the PS but he will be poached
Yes
Don't know

MightyGiants

Does Tommy Cutlets make the Giants' final 53?

Duggan doesn't think so

The bigger risk would be a team poaching DeVito as injuries mount at quarterback during the season. But the Giants could simply offer him a spot on their 53-man roster if they want to keep him when another team shows interest. DeVito has taken advantage of every off-field opportunity presented as a local hero, so bolting for another practice squad would be an unlikely business decision. And with the NFL's new practice squad elevation rules, which allows for unlimited game-day promotions for an emergency quarterback, the Giants can bump DeVito to the active roster as much as they desire.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5565056/2024/06/17/new-york-giants-53-man-roster-projection/

Ed Valentine doesn't think so

I know. Tommy DeVito fans are screaming that 'Cutlets' needs to be rostered because of the risk of losing him to another team via waiver claim by trying to get him to the practice squad.

It is, though, worth the risk in my view.

First, I believe chances are good that DeVito, a local hero, would get through waivers to the practice squad. Second, the new NFL rule allowing teams to promote a practice squad quarterback to the game day roster as an emergency quarterback an unlimited number of times during the season makes keeping a third quarterback on the 53-man roster unnecessary.

DeVito to the practice squad saves a roster spot to use elsewhere. Besides, head coach Brian Daboll has kept only two quarterbacks in his first two seasons. I doubt that changes now.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/6/19/24177559/new-york-giants-53-man-roster-projection-after-spring-practices
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Their decision will also be based on their faith in DJ remaining healthy or not. He still has to beat out the other Camp QB's.

Can the Giants raise his salary where another team may not want to poach him? Is there a team out there who would want him as their number two?

My answer is that I don't know, but my guess is no.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

I hope so
The other two have issues with Decision making and injuries

Whatever will be will be

I don't think Tommy got a fair shot

He was a winner
Got targeted and seemed lost the next game.  Might have had a concussion

Tyrod could wing it but he too has decision issues and injuries record
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 20, 2024, 07:59:38 AMTheir decision will also be based on their faith in DJ remaining healthy or not. He still has to beat out the other Camp QB's.

Can the Giants raise his salary where another team may not want to poach him? Is there a team out there who would want him as their number two?

My answer is that I don't know, but my guess is no.

Teams are allowed to pay PS players more than minimum (any extra still counts against the cap)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 20, 2024, 08:09:34 AMTeams are allowed to pay PS players more than minimum (any extra still counts against the cap)
He's only making 915K. If they want to keep him they should at least double his salary after winning games for them last year. He knows the Offense in his second season and the Players like him. Unless he gets beat out, I think they should try not to lose him.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 20, 2024, 08:00:58 AMI hope so
The other two have issues with Decision making and injuries

Whatever will be will be

I don't think Tommy got a fair shot

He was a winner
Got targeted and seemed lost the next game.  Might have had a concussion

Tyrod could wing it but he too has decision issues and injuries record

Devito got more of a chance that 99% of UDFA guys so he should feel lucky.

Tyrod was significantly better than Devito and it wasn't close. It is why Devito slid to the bench the moment Tyrod came back.

T200

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 20, 2024, 10:31:45 AMDevito got more of a chance that 99% of UDFA guys so he should feel lucky.

Tyrod was significantly better than Devito and it wasn't close. It is why Devito slid to the bench the moment Tyrod came back.
Some people are convinced the Earth is flat and nothing you can say or demonstrate will change that. He's a DeVito devotee... 'nuff said.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

Feel like the poaching from PS for injuries is tough at the QB position.  Especially for younger less experienced guys that have only played in one system in the NFL.  It's unlikely a team would lose 2 QBs preseason and pulling a guy like Tommy after camp is an uphill battle to get him up to speed and ready to play.  It's why guys like Flacco end up getting signed midseason.  The experience allows them to assimilate much quicker.

Is there any QB room right now where Tommy would be an upgrade?  There may be, I just don't know all 32 teams QB depth charts.

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on June 20, 2024, 10:55:45 AMFeel like the poaching from PS for injuries is tough at the QB position.  Especially for younger less experienced guys that have only played in one system in the NFL.  It's unlikely a team would lose 2 QBs preseason and pulling a guy like Tommy after camp is an uphill battle to get him up to speed and ready to play.  It's why guys like Flacco end up getting signed midseason.  The experience allows them to assimilate much quicker.

Is there any QB room right now where Tommy would be an upgrade?  There may be, I just don't know all 32 teams QB depth charts.
I think the only place he would èven be a number 2 is in New Orleans who have Jake Haener backing up Carr.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-backup-qb-rankings/

bamagiantfan

I think Nathan Rourke will pass Devito on the depth chart and he is the one who will wind up 3rd on the depth chart and on the PS. He is a better QB right now in my opinion and has more upside.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

BluesCruz

DeVito is a winner on a losing team. Won 3 in a row including the NFL player of the week against a tough Packers team
Crushed it on all his college stops.   Jones college career was Meh

Until Jones can string a couple of wins together he's just a bad (ridiculously overpaid) QB on what could be a good team.  Jones problem is between the ears....he does not process the situation quickly and accurately enough

DeVito and Taylor both showed up Jones last year with the same personnel.  I don't know zip about Drew Lock except he bounced to 3 teams in his short NFL career so far (did beat Philly last year though- Have to give him that)
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

I wonder if the poaching concern here is another case of fan colored glasses.  Is there evidence that of all the QBs floating around the 3rd tier of the NFL other teams view DeVito higher than most?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on June 20, 2024, 02:44:04 PMI wonder if the poaching concern here is another case of fan colored glasses.  Is there evidence that of all the QBs floating around the 3rd tier of the NFL other teams view DeVito higher than most?
I mean I'd take several 3rd string guys before even thinking about Devito.

Malik Cunningham
Max Duggan
Matt Corral
Malik Willis
Hendon Hooker

Nathan Rourke our 4th Stringer was actually ranked higher in most projections than Devito going into 2023.

Puffy

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 20, 2024, 12:30:20 PMDeVito is a winner on a losing team. Won 3 in a row including the NFL player of the week against a tough Packers team
Crushed it on all his college stops.  Jones college career was Meh

Do you even watch college football?  DeVito certainly did not "crush it" and he was not a winner in college.  He was in college for 5 years (4 at SU and 1 at Illinois).  He started 1 full season at SU and went 5-7.  Then the next 2 years he struggled, got injured, struggled some more and then was benched for Garrett Shrader after three games in 2021 and entered transfer portal because Shrader beat him out.  Who is Garrett Shrader?  Exactly my point.  Then he transferred to the Illini and had his best year throwing for less than 3,000 years in 13 games and, while they started 7-1, as soon as schedule got tougher they lost 4 of their last 5.  How is that crushing it????  How is a 16-16 record in 32 college starts a "winner?"