News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Expectations for 2024 Season- Where will Giants finish, What might change

Started by BluesCruz, June 22, 2024, 08:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about the coming season?

BluesCruz

I predict Option 1 myself.  Going to finish with 10-11 wins and take the NFC East :ok:

One can Hope!
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

4 Aces

This team went 6-11 last year despite almost everything going wrong, including the worst schedule I've ever seen.

I don't see any reason not to expect a 9-8 season, at worst. That's my floor. 

BluesCruz

Quote from: 4 Aces on June 22, 2024, 10:01:59 AMThis team went 6-11 last year despite almost everything going wrong, including the worst schedule I've ever seen.

I don't see any reason not to expect a 9-8 season, at worst. That's my floor. 

yeah that was a horrific schedule.  Hopefully Evan Neal either morphs into an NFL Tackle or they slide him out of the starting lineup.   Otherwise I don't see any knee cappers other than Jones.  If they are wide open though Jones may suprise us. 

Any opponent facing our new WR corp will be vexed to find a way to cover them all

DaveBrown74

I voted none of the above just because none really captured how I feel exactly.

I think the Giants will be about the same as last year, maybe a little bit better. I'll put them somewhere in the six to eight win range. If pressed, I'll list 7-10 as my prediction.

I recognize that the team has added some potentially highly impactful pieces in Burns and the rookie receiver, and the line figures to be a bit better, but we also lost some good people, and there are still way too many more questions than answers for me insofar as considering this is a strong team that could potentially do meaningful damage in the postseason. I just don't think we're there yet.

BluesCruz

One thing is we handled Philly last year

We now need to beat Dallas

Bum Philips famously said "we knocked on the door last season, now we have to bust it down"

I think, beat Dallas handily and the spell is broken.  We bust down that door

Easier said than done though

Gman329

I see an 8-9 season, just missing the playoffs.  Still a long way from serious contention but at least a step closer. And yes, I think DJ, with a (HOPEFULLY) improved OL, a true #1 WR and solid complementary cast, will have a markedly better season.

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

spiderblue43

Handled Philly? They were competitive in a loss, true, but the Eagles tanked their rematch. Dallas? Last year was probably a historic low against them.

If they can split with them, then you know this can be a solid year, maybe playoffs. But... :doh:

kartanoman

The "close that gap" thing with your division rivals. If they can't do that, then nothing's really changed and it's status quo as usual.

That's the key measure, in addition to "Lost Man-Games Due To Injury," which will tell much about their chances for success in season 2024.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 22, 2024, 11:01:51 AMOne thing is we handled Philly last year

We now need to beat Dallas

Bum Philips famously said "we knocked on the door last season, now we have to bust it down"

I think, beat Dallas handily and the spell is broken.  We bust down that door

Easier said than done though
Didn't the Eagles already have the division won when we faced them in the season finale last year? Philly with new coordinators is going to be really tough.

Painter

As some folks here now and before may recall, it always was my 16-game season habit to predict 8-8 +/- 2. I got it right it far more often than not. Still, when did it actually matter?

Will it be more of a challenge when they go to an 18-game season? Quien sabe? Of course, while now still at 17-games, I might need to adopt the erstwhile JoeysGiants habit of predicting a tie game.

Cheers!

katkavage

I think the team will be better. But their record might be similar to last year's. We don't know how their competition will improve or decline. I see an improvement in Washington, a team they've handled during this down stretch. Philly could downgrade based on their free fall last year but they could also rebound to top form. They are a wild card. I think  Dallas might decline, but only sightly. The problem is the AFC North. I don't see much chance for wins there unless those teams get wrecked by injuries. The NFC South is mediocre and each team is beatable. Carolina has nowhere to go but up. Atlanta's draft was a disaster, but maybe Morris will be what they need. Tampa is a fringe playoff team. New Orleans has a lame duck coach. The first game of the year will be interesting. I see Darnold thriving in Minnesota more than anywhere else he's been with those weapons and a brilliant offensive coach. If Flores can continue to improve the defense, a win wont be easy. Seattle is beatable for sure, but that game is in Seattle. Always tough. The Colts are a wild card, it depends on Richardson's recovery and growth.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on June 23, 2024, 04:41:38 PMI think the team will be better.

I don't really disagree with you, but I'm curious what exactly makes you say that. Can you pinpoint why you feel that way? We certainly added some interesting players but we also lost two of our best players, and our QB (who was bad last year before he got hurt) is coming off an ACL injury. Why would this team be better than last year's?

Again - not trying to argue because I can see some marginal improvement myself, but I'm just curious why you feel that way.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 23, 2024, 05:28:59 PMI don't really disagree with you, but I'm curious what exactly makes you say that. Can you pinpoint why you feel that way? We certainly added some interesting players but we also lost two of our best players, and our QB (who was bad last year before he got hurt) is coming off an ACL injury. Why would this team be better than last year's?

Again - not trying to argue because I can see some marginal improvement myself, but I'm just curious why you feel that way.
Offensive line, defensive pass rush, depth at receiver. But again injuries change everything.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on June 23, 2024, 06:16:14 PMOffensive line, defensive pass rush, depth at receiver. But again injuries change everything.

All makes sense.