News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- How Daniel Jones can succeed and thrive in 2023 -

Started by sxdxca38, June 22, 2024, 03:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

I had an opportunity to watch some highlights of Dak Prescott, Brock Purdy and several of the other top QBs in the league, and one thing that stuck out to me was that they were consistently making throws down the field.

I'm not saying fifty- and forty-yard passes, but instead throws in the 10–30-yard range.

I then began to look up the stats regarding this, and here were the results of the top five leaders in these categories.

- 20 + plus yard throws -

A) Brock Purdy 72
B) Jared Goff 69
C) CJ Stroud 66
D) Dak Prescott 62
E) Matthew Stafford 62

- 30 + plus yard throws -

A) Brock Purdy 31
B) Matthew Stafford 28
C) Jordan Love 27
E) Dak Prescott 24
F) Tua Tagovailoa 22

- 10 + plus yard throws -

A) Tua Tagovailoa 189
B) Jared Goff 180
C) Dak Prescott 179
D) Brock Purdy 167
E) Josh Allen 164

As you can see, they weren't dinking and dunking, but they were pushing the ball down the field.

Here is my suggestion for how Daniel Jones can succeed in 2023.

It is two-fold

A) Throw more passes in the air that travel in the 10–25-yard range.

B) When the Giants are on the opponents 25–30-yard line, from that point on start taking shots at the end zone.

It will increase his TD totals significantly, and the Giants will score a lot more points, especially now that they have Nabers.

Because once you get down into the red zone, especially around the ten-yard line, it becomes much more crowded, there is less space, and it is difficult to score.

Obviously, this is all predicated on the offensive line holding up, but this is my suggestion.

I've provided the link for the stats down below.

Curious your thoughts?

Link

kingm56

Does this strategy apply to any qb, or just DJ?  For example, could Will Levis simply execute more 10-25 yard throws to be more successful?

I'm sure every NFL team would love to consistently throw 10-25 yard passes; however, it's a difficult task because you need 5 components:

1. A QB capable of reading defenses, fitting the ball through tight windows, make anticipatory throws, and be savvy in the pocket.  Few deep routes are 9 routes where the WR gets beyond the DBs.

2.  WRs with the skillset to read defenses, find soft-spots in zones, or beat their man in one-on-one conditions.

3.  Oline ability to hold pass blocks long enough for 1 and 2 to occur.

4. Good Weather

5. A offense capable of running the ball to keep the back 7 honest.

On their best day, I believe the Giants possess 2 of these 5 components. 

sxdxca38

Quote from: kingm56 on June 22, 2024, 03:56:14 PMDoes this strategy apply to any qb, or just DJ?  For example, could Will Levis simply execute more 10-25 yard throws to be more successful?

I'm sure every NFL team would love to consistently throw 10-25 yard passes; however, it's a difficult task because you need 5 components:

1. A QB capable of reading defenses, fitting the ball through tight windows, make anticipatory throws, and be savvy in the pocket.  Few deep routes are 9 routes where the WR gets beyond the DBs.

2.  WRs with the skillset to read defenses, find soft-spots in zones, or beat their man in one-on-one conditions.

4. Good Weather

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time out and for your comments and contributions to the thread. I would like to answer two of your questions.

The first is, this topic is about how Daniel Jones can succeed, so it would be mainly applied to him in the upcoming 2023 season.

Secondly, I see that you only think the Giants possess two out of the five components, and you are entitled to your opinion, but now that the Giants have Nabers, I believe they possess four out of the five components.

I would also add, there is a sixth component and that is coaching, and having a creative scheme that plays to the strengths of their players is also a factor to be considered.

But focusing back on topic, and to my original question, do you think if Daniel Jones were to make more throws in the 10–25-yard range would that lead to him having a more successful season? and it leading him to throw more passing TDs?

Jclayton92

Quote from: kingm56 on June 22, 2024, 03:56:14 PMDoes this strategy apply to any qb, or just DJ?  For example, could Will Levis simply execute more 10-25 yard throws to be more successful?

4. Good Weather

Red Zone hasn't been our issue since Daboll got here, it's actually the one area Jones thrived at in 2022.

As I stated in the other thread, the offense has no issue throwing the ball down the field regularly when Tyrod was in the game. Infact tyrod led the league in big time throw rate, the issue then becomes what is wrong with Jones that he is not seeing the defense in the same way tyrod is or why the coaches call those plays for tyrod but don't with Jones.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on June 22, 2024, 04:29:52 PMRed Zone hasn't been our issue since Daboll got here, it's actually the one area Jones thrived at in 2022.

As I stated in the other thread, the offense has no issue throwing the ball down the field regularly when Tyrod was in the game. Infact tyrod led the league in big time throw rate, the issue then becomes what is wrong with Jones that he is not seeing the defense in the same way tyrod is or why the coaches call those plays for tyrod but don't with Jones.

They really bounce around on red zone even before Daboll.  Here is the conversion rate and ranking for the Jones era:

2023 44.2% (31)

2022 64.8% (5)

2021 44.7% (32)

2020 46.3% (31)

2019 57.1% (17)
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

spiderblue43

Last year was a complete offensive disaster with Jones. He looked shell-shocked immediately when his OL starting falling apart in the opener.

When he had the rare occasion to make a play, it was a mistake, errand throw or check down. But Tyrod and Cutlets actually moved the ball and made chunk plays..better ball placement..etc.

Simply put, if the line actually improves (big if)..Jones must play at a higher level. Anything mediocre or worse demands a hook early.

ralphpal1

Tell D  Jones i want you to throw 10 intercerptions this year more than 20 yrds away
He cant think about it
Just throw

Philosophers

4. Good Weather

Spot on my friend.  2 out of 5?  Probably if we include the good weather one.

Trench

He won't do anything without learning how to move his head and look off the db

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on June 22, 2024, 06:49:45 PMSpot on my friend.  2 out of 5?  Probably if we include the good weather one.

Lol, the weather was one, Joe.  Although, that's won't occur on a weekly basis.

Bob In PA

A really nice thread with a lot of good stuff. Kudos to all. 

That's one way to succeed on offense, but pro defenses are designed to TAKE AWAY those very passes, making them the toughest to complete.

Notice a conspicuously absent name from the lists in the original posts - Patrick Mahomes.  A few others are also absent, because there are other ways to win on offense against defenses designed to get to third down and then pressure/sack the QB into a mistake.

On offense, the Chiefs are set up to win differently, as are the Eagles and Giants. The fact that the Eagles & Chiefs have thrived, while the Giants have fizzled, is governed by personnel and QB decision-making, not scheme. This year IMO Giants' personnel is more suited to what Daboll is trying to do.

The personnel of the prior GM/coach "team" are essentially gone (except for Jones) and we will now see if he can do what Mahomes and Hurts do... read defenses, distribute the ball with quick/short passes to the correct guy accurately and with precise timing, but be ready to take a deep shot whenever an opportunity presents itself. I like this style of play better than the other style. No defense can defend against certain types of plays which only "guaranty" a few yards UNLESS there is a single missed tackle or a single defender is out-of-place, in which case they break big.  But that's just a personal preference. IMO Jones is a good fit for Daboll and it has been god-awful execution (some by Jones himself, but mostly by the OL), injuries at key positions, and general lack of players who fit Daboll's style that have choked off the Giants' offense's ability to win consistently. IMO Giants' ownership agrees. We soon shall see.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

sxdxca38

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 23, 2024, 07:05:29 AMA really nice thread with a lot of good stuff. Kudos to all. 

That's one way to succeed on offense, but pro defenses are designed to TAKE AWAY those very passes, making them the toughest to complete.

Notice a conspicuously absent name from the lists in the original posts - Patrick Mahomes.  A few others are also absent, because there are other ways to win on offense against defenses designed to get to third down and then hurry/pressure/sack the QB into making a mistake.

On offense, the Chiefs are set up to win differently, as are the Eagles and Giants. The fact that the Eagles & Chiefs have thrived, while the Giants have fizzled, is governed by personnel and QB decision-making, not scheme. This year IMO Giants' personnel is more suited to what Daboll is trying to do.

The personnel of the prior GM/coach "team" are essentially gone (except for Jones) and we will now see if he can do what Mahomes and Hurts do... read defenses, distribute the ball with quick/short passes to the correct guy accurately and with precise timing, but be ready to take a deep shot whenever an opportunity presents itself. I like this style of play better than the other style. No defense can defend against certain types of plays which only "guaranty" a few yards UNLESS there' a single missed tackle or a single defender is out-of-place, in which case they break big.  But that's just a personal preference. IMO Jones is a good fit for Daboll and it has been god-awful execution (some by Jones himself, but mostly by the OL), injuries at key positions, and general lack of players who fit Daboll's style that have choked off the Giants' offense's ability to win consistently. IMO Giants' ownership agrees. We soon shall see.

Bob

Bob,

What a nice comment and expression, you really did an outstanding job, thank you so much for your balanced and reasonable approach, it is truly refreshing.

LennG

Whoever is calling the plays, that is the key. Do they have confidence in Jones to be able to make the plays you are suggesting? We really don't know what goes on in the huddle, in that are they sending in plays to push the ball down the field and Jones just can't complete them, or are they protecting Jones and just calling short routes for him to even try and succeed? The year we we not to the playoffs, and people keep bringing this year up as a Daniel Jones success story, it sure seemed as if they just played to his so-called strengths and never really had him pushing the ball down the field. His average years per pass were one of the lowest in the league, but that seems to be his strength so why change?

We sure have the weapons now to push the ball down the field, do we have the QB who can do it and does the coaching staff have the confidence in him to try that strategy?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

todge

Quote from: sxdxca38 on June 22, 2024, 03:21:57 PMI had an opportunity to watch some highlights of Dak Prescott, Brock Purdy and several of the other top QBs in the league, and one thing that stuck out to me was that they were consistently making throws down the field.

I'm not saying fifty- and forty-yard passes, but instead throws in the 10–30-yard range.

I then began to look up the stats regarding this, and here were the results of the top five leaders in these categories.

- 20 + plus yard throws -

A) Brock Purdy 72
B) Jared Goff 69
C) CJ Stroud 66
D) Dak Prescott 62
E) Matthew Stafford 62

- 30 + plus yard throws -

A) Brock Purdy 31
B) Matthew Stafford 28
C) Jordan Love 27
E) Dak Prescott 24
F) Tua Tagovailoa 22

- 10 + plus yard throws -

A) Tua Tagovailoa 189
B) Jared Goff 180
C) Dak Prescott 179
D) Brock Purdy 167
E) Josh Allen 164

As you can see, they weren't dinking and dunking, but they were pushing the ball down the field.

Here is my suggestion for how Daniel Jones can succeed in 2023.

It is two-fold

A) Throw more passes in the air that travel in the 10–25-yard range.

B) When the Giants are on the opponents 25–30-yard line, from that point on start taking shots at the end zone.

It will increase his TD totals significantly, and the Giants will score a lot more points, especially now that they have Nabers.

Because once you get down into the red zone, especially around the ten-yard line, it becomes much more crowded, there is less space, and it is difficult to score.

Obviously, this is all predicated on the offensive line holding up, but this is my suggestion.

I've provided the link for the stats down below.

Curious your thoughts?

Link
Daniel Jones doesn't call the plays. Kafka and Daboll knew that their pathetic pass blocking OL, which was dead last in the NFL last year in that category, couldn't give the QB enough time to allow plays to develop downfield. Thus the dink and dunk offense was gameplanned into most games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

todge

Quote from: spiderblue43 on June 22, 2024, 04:49:11 PMLast year was a complete offensive disaster with Jones. He looked shell-shocked immediately when his OL starting falling apart in the opener.

When he had the rare occasion to make a play, it was a mistake, errand throw or check down. But Tyrod and Cutlets actually moved the ball and made chunk plays..better ball placement..etc.

Simply put, if the line actually improves (big if)..Jones must play at a higher level. Anything mediocre or worse demands a hook early.
It's been discussed before. The offensive line without Thomas early in the season bore little resemblance to the OL Taylor and DeVito worked with. The level of competition the first six games was much higher as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk