News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Hyatt vs Wan'Dale

Started by DaveBrown74, June 23, 2024, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Whom do you feel more optimistic about overall as a player moving forward: Jalin Hyatt or Wan'Dale Robinson?

Why?

madbadger

Robinson has the higher floor but lower ceiling. He's a more polished route runner but Hyatt has the frame. I give an slight edge to Hyatt. If he lives up to his potential we will have an elite duo on the outside. If he Nabers and Robinson live up to their ability we will have an elite receiver corps.

Jclayton92

I have been big on Wandale Robinson from the beginning and I think he could be Elite. I would say Wandale was our #1 target the last 8 games of the season.

Ed Vette

I'm just happy this is a worthwhile conversation.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Fantastic topic to discuss.  I remember when Robinson came out, some CB in the SEC said WanDale was a harder WR to cover than Toney was.  I think Jess here on the board may have said the same thing.  I still don't have a feel for WanDale yet.  He seems to catch short yardage passes a lot, but I have not seen a DeSean Jackson or other type of explosive player emerge.  I see moments but not consistency.  Maybe he puts it together.

Jalin Hyatt is the guy I thought would emerge as WR1.  The fact that it has not yet transpired tells me he has more to go, however, what I've seen of him, I like a lot.  His hands are really good.  I see him making twisting body type catches which also suggests great skills.  He needs more opportunities.  I hope he gets them.

We need both to emerge.  Robinson is closer to arriving but are his parameters different?  Does he not have to run a full route tree for the things he does? 

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on June 23, 2024, 08:56:01 PMFantastic topic to discuss.  I remember when Robinson came out, some CB in the SEC said WanDale was a harder WR to cover than Toney was.  I think Jess here on the board may have said the same thing.  I still don't have a feel for WanDale yet.  He seems to catch short yardage passes a lot, but I have not seen a DeSean Jackson or other type of explosive player emerge.  I see moments but not consistency.  Maybe he puts it together.

Jalin Hyatt is the guy I thought would emerge as WR1.  The fact that it has not yet transpired tells me he has more to go, however, what I've seen of him, I like a lot.  His hands are really good.  I see him making twisting body type catches which also suggests great skills.  He needs more opportunities.  I hope he gets them.

We need both to emerge.  Robinson is closer to arriving but are his parameters different?  Does he not have to run a full route tree for the things he does?
I think Nabers + Hyatt on the boundary create a ton of daylight for Robinson, thus he becomes the immediate benefactor of said space especially with the short to intermediate offense that we've run the past 2 seasons.

The Detriot game he got injured in 2022 and the GB and Philly games in 2023 both showed a shred of his potential. All 3 games with 3 different qbs.

Bob In PA

As others said, it appears that things are set up for Robinson to have a great year if he stays healthy.

However, with Saquon gone, defenses now have an "extra man" to deploy. I doubt they'll double the rookie  (unless he burns a few teams in the preseason and in the first game or two, which IMO is not likely).

And I don't see Slayton as a guy to double. That leaves Hyatt. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The guy who gets doubled the most will probably not have as big a year as everyone suspects.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

It's funny; just based on draft position, Wondale should be the hands-down winner (a 43 overall pick vs a 73rd overall pick).   Yet, to my eyes I think at best it's a tie, or Hyatt has a slight edge.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Kinda comparing apples to oranges as the two have very different roles. If WanDale continues to shine, he could end up being to the Giants, what Wes Welker was to the Patriots...and that would be astounding. On the other hand, Hyatt is "NFL green", but has the right attitude and makeup to become a stud. His speed and length could give defenses nightmares if whoever is calling plays (and DJ is given time behind a decent line) to put up crazy numbers, and with Nabers drawing the most attention, Hyatt will win a lot of one-on-ones. But Hyatt won't likely become a thousand yard guy because he'll be splitting time with Slayton...and despite Slayton's drops early in his career, he's become a solid receiver with good hands! Slayton and Hyatt are close to the same in every category, except Slayton has aa ton of experience and Hyatt has youth and desire. Slayton 6'1" 4.39/40 vs Hyatt 6'0" 4.40/40...same wingspan/hand size/athletic scores. Slayton's experience probably gives him an edge, in running the route tree. Both can take it to the house and extend the defense vertically

We have an exciting WR crew  :o

Now if we can just develop Theo Johnson into the second-coming (or better version) of Jason Witten  :what:
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

Ed Vette

It's apparent that the Giants didn't foresee either player as their number one Receiver. I agree with Ric, that Hyatt is competing with Slayton for playing time. If he beats him out, Slay becomes a trading option. In that case they won't extend him.

I'm interested to see how often we see a four Receiver Set with Nabors, Slay, Hyatt and WDR. That leaves just an 01 or 10 personnel. So likely not often.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

I cant get too excited about a WR posting consistently less than 10 yards per reception especially one with supposedly so much shake and bake as Robinson.  I am not sure about the Welker comparison as he got downfield also.

bamagiantfan

Hyatt has more upside, but it is still mostly upside at this point in his career.

His final year at Kentucky, everyone knew the ball was going to Wan'Dale on the money downs and they couldn't stop him. Even Iowa, who had arguably the best Defense in the nation, couldn't stop him in the Citrus Bowl when it mattered. He is also a former RB who is magic with the ball in his hands. He is going to be a ball magnet on 3rd downs for the Giants.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Kentucky+vs.+Iowa+Citrus+Bown&t=newext&atb=v412-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCkWTlEfNxHE

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Philosophers

I just hope Robinson finds holes farther downfield.  If it's 3rd and 8 I hope he finds a hole 10 yards out.  That's the magic of Welker, Edelman, Kupp, etc.