News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Start of the Giants interview series

Started by MightyGiants, June 24, 2024, 05:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I thought Lock's comment about Nabers being a WR that you could feel comfortable throwing to when teams go M2M was interesting.

I thought the comment from DeVito about needing to fully master the mental parts of the office was good.

They all say that it's a very difficult offensive to master because there is limited verbiage.  However, once they master it, minimal verbiage allows them to play fast.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I didn't know this Offense was so complicated. I'm wondering if Daboll gave more latitude to Kafka last season and has now taken complete control in design. Or maybe there was too much confusion last season as they took it up a few notches, which resulted in breakdowns. The injuries hurt for sure but there was clearly dysfunction. One thing is clear, the players have to be intelligent and have the ability to absorb information and retain it, from the QB, Receivers on down. As for the Offensive Line, it strikes me that they need to establish roles sooner rather than later, not just for understanding those roles, but for muscle memory and agility. I don't want to see musical chairs this summer.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 25, 2024, 08:01:46 AMI didn't know this Offense was so complicated. I'm wondering if Daboll gave more latitude to Kafka last season and has now taken complete control in design. Or maybe there was too much confusion last season as they took it up a few notches, which resulted in breakdowns. The injuries hurt for sure but there was clearly dysfunction. One thing is clear, the players have to be intelligent and have the ability to absorb information and retain it, from the QB, Receivers on down. As for the Offensive Line, it strikes me that they need to establish roles sooner rather than later, not just for understanding those roles, but for muscle memory and agility. I don't want to see musical chairs this summer.

Ed,

I remember in last year's series, the WRs frequently commented on how challenging it was to learn the offense.  I think that, like most things in life, building an offense requires compromise.   I would have to think that the simpler the offense, the easier it is to defend, and vice versa.   Of course, when you make something complicated, there is the risk of players not knowing what to do (as you pointed out happened last season).

It will be interesting to see how the O-line trains at camp.  You had the disaster last year, which was likely helped by excessive rotations and moving linemen around.  On the other hand, the new offensive line coach seems to feel strongly about versatility in his linemen.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 25, 2024, 08:13:13 AMEd,

I remember in last year's series, the WRs frequently commented on how challenging it was to learn the offense.  I think that, like most things in life, building an offense requires compromise.   I would have to think that the simpler the offense, the easier it is to defend, and vice versa.   Of course, when you make something complicated, there is the risk of players not knowing what to do (as you pointed out happened last season).

It will be interesting to see how the O-line trains at camp.  You had the disaster last year, which was likely helped by excessive rotations and moving linemen around.  On the other hand, the new offensive line coach seems to feel strongly about versatility in his linemen.
I can understand versatility in the backup roles and the Guard Positions. If he moves JMS, Thomas and Neal, I would not agree with that at all. The Guards and exchange the roles. However, the Swing Tackle if there is one should not. If Ezeudu is right side, I'd be ok with him training RG and RT. Not that my opinion matters but we clearly knew best last season.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin