News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If you could have dinner with one person from NYG past or present

Started by MightyGiants, June 25, 2024, 09:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

Quote from: Giant Obsession on June 30, 2024, 09:46:19 AMThank you Rich for asking.

Mr. Asinof, was the author of "Eight Men Out" based on the 1919 White Sox scandal (most famous was Shoeless Joe Jackson) and more close to home "Seven Days to Sunday" a book based on his intimate time with the 1966 and 1967 New York Football Giants. IMO it is far superior to "Instant Replay" Jerry Kramer's book (Green Bay Packers) and was written 2 years ahead of Kramers as I recollect though I might be off on that statement.

Mr. Asinof spent 2 full years with the Giants, 1966 and 1967 gathering his information.  He had complete and total access to everything and everybody within the organization....team and coaches meetings, locker room, sidelines on game day, front office....I mean complete....warts and all.  The players seemed to love him and were very open with him.  I imagine he could fill an encyclopedia with his knowledge of the Giants.

And of course he was there when Allie coached the team and I am a HUGE fan of that era (especially those 2 years) for it is when I became a hardcore Giants fan, graduating from follower and just a cheering fan.

It's when you have authors who can take the written word, transform it into a lens you can see clearly through, that transcends the experience of reading into being taken on the journey with him.

I, too, have read Mr. Asinof's literary works and have come away with the same experience. One of the brilliant sports' literary works of its day, below is the NY Times critical review of this great work:

New Book on Football Depicts Many Problems of Sherman

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)